I bought a 12"PB with 20" Display

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mymemory, Feb 25, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, I just got for my birthday:
    12"PB Superdrive, 256MB Ram
    20" Apple display
    Wireless keyboard
    Wireless mouse

Reactions:
    The performance is ok, I need more ram and that is what I'm going to get next.

The video performance IS NOT RECOMENDABLE for game players. The computer can not handle the after dark animations in the 20" screen. But I can watch DVDs.

The copmputer itself is wonderfull, is strange that with 32 MB of video ram is having problems handling video in the 20" even when the 12" screen in set up to 256 colors.

What I didn't like at all is the huge amount of cables the DVI converter uses, is sick! my entire desktop is clean, specially for the wireless mouse/keyboard, but the cables attached to the powerbook and specially the DVI box reminds me the first iMac comertial making fun of the PCs... this is actually worst than the PC and I do not have speakers.

But for the rest I'm fine. I haven't done any render yet and I have to get an external hard drive now.

At list I'm happy with the performance, not perfect but of course I'm demanding a lot.

That is it.

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I wouldn't complain, that's an amazing set up.

Just send the 20" to me if you have any further problems!

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Thats quite a setup you got there! Laptops aren't designed to do games very well. Even the High-End 17" PowerBook with the high end ATI Mobility graphics does worse than a desktop with a slower graphics card.

You can send me that 20" display if you don't need it. I'll take very good care of it for you!

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

and where i come from...i have to pay for all beer on my bday...and no gifts man...never:D

6. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

No, it was not free, I paid everything myself.

The performance of the wirless keyboard is very good. The mouse too. I see no lag in the response. But what I really have to do is to keep the keyboard clean. Well, that is not a problem neiter.

I like the set up, is very fancy and everything respond well. The powerbook works fine. I really would like to add more memory. I do not need it now but I'm gonna be doing some viedo and after effects things and ram will help a lot.

7. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Sounds great ! I thought about the same setup. Hope you enjoy it !

8. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

hmm, you bought yourself a birthday present?:rolleyes: bro, notebooks are known for their protability, if you wanted desktop capabilities and an extra monitor maybe you shouldve researched and got a desktop G5 where you can upgrade the video card.

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

why? Apple clearly sells this as a totally doable and worthwhile setup. there's no reason one shouldn';t expect it to work properly. that's just a stoopid thing to say.

10. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

With regards to buying himself a birthday present; lotsa people do that :) It's a chance to buy something you wouldn't ordinarily buy during the rest of the year; and a 12in Powerbook and 20in display would fit that category for me, anyways!

:)

peace.

11. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

You and I think alike. Be wary of the JBL Creatures then. Although arguably the slickest speakers in circulation, the excess "cordage" is simply wrecking me right now. They have a power adapter brick on the lines of a Gateway Profile - something better suited for pitching through a windshield then powering a system - and I can't figure out a way to hide all of them.

12. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

MyMemory!! What the hell, man?

Why didnt you LISTEN to us before?

Oh well....

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Sweet set-up! I would love to have a 20" display to go with my 12" PB but it will have to remain an uneccessary dream :( . Of course if you think you have too much cable clutter I'll be happy to put up with it ;) :p

Anyway have fun. These are nice machines. I only dabble with video, but I find the 12" works perfectly fine for my needs, and better than everyone leads you to believe. And I've got along fine with this being my PRIMARY computer!

Still, G5 desktop may have been a better choice for you, but, ah well. It would have cost more 'cos you'd have had to get the 20" display anyway. Your set-up is still great, and portable.

14. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Which is why its fine for you to have a portable is your primary.

If you do professional video editing, then a portable is the wrong way to go. Hopefully he doesnt learn that the hard way...

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I feel yah. I just purchased a 20" Cinema Display for use with my Powerbook 12"... and I got the DVI-I to ADC "convertor/power supply" device today. I was completely shocked out how large the "brick" is. From the look on the website, I figured it would be about the size of my powerbook's charge.... boy was I wrong.

However, I've never understood why Apple uses the proprietary ADC interface. True, it would in theory save clutter with a desktop... however, that argument is completely opposite with a Powerbook.

They would sell more displays if they went true DVI. I'm just glad the "adaptor" is only $99 compared to what it was when it first came out, if I remember right it was like $249 or around that price.

Josh

16. bluetrepidation macrumors member

Hey guys.

Yeah the ADC converter is a brick but think about it. Inside that is a 120watt plus power supply to power the enormous Apple displays. Considering that it's not all to big. Making it smaller could be possible but who would pay $400 for it? Or it could be the size of an ATX power supply. Now that's outrageous. As for the wires... that's why the ADC connector was created, to get rid of them. With the adaptor you still need to hook up all that usb and what not so it all equals plugs and wires. If you want things to look nice I guess you should of gotten a desktop in the first place. They have ADC video plugs. :D

Later,
    A.J.