I bought a HP PSC 1510, should I keep it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Toeside, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Toeside macrumors member

I bought my 2Ghz MacBook Pro yesterday and decided to take advantage of the "Up to $100" mail in rebate on a new printer. I bought the HP PSC 1510, but I'm wondering if I should keep it, or take it back for something better.

I've read many mixed reviews on this printer/scanner/copier.

Funny, I spent a lot of money yesterday at the Apple store, and I'm having buyers remorse over a $99 (free after rebate) printer. :rolleyes:

2. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

3. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

If I were you, I'd return it for a Canon printer. HP has the absolute worst racket for ink refill cartridges on the planet. That printer will turn in to the most expensive piece of junk you've ever owned, if you every try to print more than one black and white page every 2-3 weeks. The scanner function is mediocre, and I think they added a copier function to it just to trick people in to wasting even MORE ink.

These days anything made by HP that isn't at least a mid-range laser printer is COMPLETE junk. People get suckered in to buying them all the time thinking they're getting "SUCH AN AMAZING DEAL! OMG I GOT $100 OFF!!!"

Remember that $100 you "saved" after you print three poor quality photos and need to drop $60 on ink. :cool:

4. Toeside thread starter macrumors member

IO...

The ink cartidges for this printer are $20 each vs the $30-40 ink for my HP 940c. That's one thing I looked at before I bought this printer.

But...if the scanning function of this combo is junk, then perhaps I really don't want it.

I really wish companies would just stop selling crappy products. It'd make our lives easier. :)

edit: I'd never print photos on this printer. That's what dedicated 4x6 photo printers are for. ;)

5. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Cost per cartridge isn't the right number to be looking at, that's how they get you- look at cost per page, or how many average pages an ink cartridge can print. I hate how consumer grade printers have turned in to such a joke. Printers and the ink cartridge market for SoHo users is just about as terrible as the Gillette razor cartridge refill market.

If I were you, if you don't really need to print color- get a HP LaserJet. I have a LaserJet 5, which you can get on Ebay for under $100 and often with a network card. This printer is a TANK. Parts are everywhere, and because it's built for the office environment a toner cartridge lasts forever. I got a new one when I got mine which had to have been 3 years ago, and I've yet to replace it.

When I need to print photos, I use one of the online services that offer photo printing. You get better quality prints, and you're free from the inkjet racket.

6. mikehenkes macrumors newbie

I did the same thing but of course I can't find the serial number for the HP not anywhere. Thats whats killen me right now. But it a free printer in the end so whats there to expect.

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Sell it! Fast!!

I have an HP PSC 1610 and it is total CRAP! Right now it is complaining that I need to replace the color cartridge, which if true, is the results of an unbelievably (ney, beleivably! crap!) short cartridge life. The kicker? I can't use it as a scanner until I replace the cartridge? I'm debating what to do before sinking money into more crap cartridges.

Sell it. Sell it fast. Buy something good. I also got my printer for free. It hasn't cost me anything yet, aside from some frustration.

9. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352