Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I am shocked how fast it downloaded my AutoCad and Quickbooks software. The keyboard is heaven!

I am seriously impressed with this hardware.

How nice it is to be able to touch the screen. I am retraining.

Not a single glitch incurred.

Impressed!

Same had zero issues with mine, all the same I keep it backed up, same as Apple MS has it`s own solutions onboard by default.

Q-6

Reactions: From A Buick 8

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
After much thought I also just got back from the MS Store with my new Surface Book. It is the i7/16gb/512ssd/Performance Base. It better last for a while!

Doing the updates now and then will start the software installs

Curious, what made you back out from the MacBook Pro?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Curious, what made you back out from the MacBook Pro?

Had one on order but as I started to read about them and other factors like ports, I cancelled. I had been watching and even tried the Surface Tablet but the screen was a bit too small and the battery life a bit short. Friend bought a Surface and after playing with his and the ones at the Surface store, made the leap yesterday.

So far head over heals.

Reactions: v0lume4

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Had one on order but as I started to read about them and other factors like ports, I cancelled. I had been watching and even tried the Surface Tablet but the screen was a bit too small and the battery life a bit short. Friend bought a Surface and after playing with his and the ones at the Surface store, made the leap yesterday.

So far head over heals.

Interesting. Well good luck with your purchase. Hope you Continue to enjoy it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Same had zero issues with mine, all the same I keep it backed up, same as Apple MS has it`s own solutions onboard by default.

Q-6

I am a heavy user of Dropbox.

I am choosing to upgrade our three pack of Quickbooks Pro 2015 to the 2017 version as the fonts on the old version are somewhat small. Not a big deal as I was going to HAVE to upgrade at the end of the year anyway.

The more I use the keyboard the more I like it. She is a keeper from what I can see. Will be putting the older MBPro 13 non-retina up on Craig's List soon.
[doublepost=1484818763][/doublepost]
Interesting. Well good luck with your purchase. Hope you Continue to enjoy it.

I do to as it was every bit as expensive as the top of the line MBPro.

Reactions: kazmac

Queen6

macrumors G4
I am a heavy user of Dropbox.I am choosing to upgrade our three pack of Quickbooks Pro 2015 to the 2017 version as the fonts on the old version are somewhat small. Not a big deal as I was going to HAVE to upgrade at the end of the year anyway.

Moved a lot of the nonsensitive to OneDrive, I still retain a point to point encrypted cloud server for some files. My own 2014 13" rMBP will go to one of the family, as I no longer have purpose for it. The 13" MacBook has more than paid for itself in the last 2 years being a stalwart workhorse, however it`s time is now up.

Similar to the 2016 MBP the Surface Book is a highly polarising product, with people strongly liking or disliking. The keyboard is simply sublime for an Ultrabook, only other that I would put in the same class is the excellent Thinkpad X1 Carbon's. I am currently in Papua New Guinea a project now, producing numerous technical documents/reports. So for me display and Keyboard are significant defining factors when purchasing a portable, as performance is very much equalising across the board.

The Surface Book has the bases covered and then some, the 3:2 aspect ratio is superb and the additional vertical height most well for someone who creates & reads a significant volume of technical content. Edge handles pdf's surprisingly well allowing one to treat the Clipboard as paper when looking at magnified schematics etc. simply far more intuitive to reach with the hand and move the document.

Software was also a consideration, I decided some time ago that I did not want be reliant on macOS, as Apple does what Apple see's fit for it`s users. This to me presents too much risk of being locked into ageing hardware due software incompatibilities, with no option to run a previous version of OS X on newer hardware. Additionally some software is simply better and or more comprehensive on the Windows platform.

As for the AV etc. I am just running Windows Defender and Malwarebytes as both are more than adequate for my needs, although I do have a BitDefender account, I no longer see the need with W10, as ever much depends in browsing habits etc. I also run regular backups by creating system images with Microsoft's own software, which I have tested several times without issue.

Only thing that disappoints is Microsoft's slow role out, have yet to see the Performance Base available in Asia, equally it works both ways as by the time Surface Book 2 is available locally majority of the kinks will be worked out. Likely if I have a business trip and come across the Performance Base I will pick one up as I always run primary & backup systems.

Picked up a 2Tb Seagate Wireless drive for media and external backup on the go, and a SanDisk Extreme 500 Portable SSD purely for speedy backups.

Q-6

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
True, however would be even more skewed if he opted for the 13" MBP, the CPU`s would be fairly balanced, add the dGPU to the mix the 13" MBP would be literally decimated with only the SSD pulling ahead. Personally pleased with the performance of the custom GT 940M, Performance Base with the GTX 965M much more so.

Q-6
[doublepost=1484747780][/doublepost]

I would look at the Spectre carefully every one I have looked at seems to attract dust in the cooling intakes on the bottom of the chassis. Quite possibly a non issue, equally I would want to keep the intakes clean as once the heat-sync looses efficiency it can result in a loss of performance. The spectre is also USB C only which is also a consideration depending on your usage.

n.b. I am speaking about the Spectre, not the 360

Q-6

As always, thank you for the comments. I've read some bad things about the Spectre getting very hot and fans ramping up (for the x360) and worse, screens cracking (ditto x360). I've been reading about fan complaints from every model I've investigated (the HP spectre, Asus 360 flip and Lenovo Yogas). Dells are crossed off my list for a variety of reasons not forgetting the absolute hoops they're making me jump through to refund my $ for unused digital software. System glitches to initiate a refund for MS365 (bull crap)...

I may ultimately bite the bullet with a Microsoft surface book, but I was hoping to ease into Windows more economically via a laptop.

Queen6

macrumors G4
As always, thank you for the comments. I've read some bad things about the Spectre getting very hot and fans ramping up (for the x360) and worse, screens cracking (ditto x360). I've been reading about fan complaints from every model I've investigated (the HP spectre, Asus 360 flip and Lenovo Yogas). Dells are crossed off my list for a variety of reasons not forgetting the absolute hoops they're making me jump through to refund my $ for unused digital software. System glitches to initiate a refund for MS365 (bull crap)...

I may ultimately bite the bullet with a Microsoft surface book, but I was hoping to ease into Windows more economically via a laptop.

I believe you still can, absolutely all marques have issue, as they are all mass produced products with a level variance. On the web one has to learn to read between the lines, here alone a small army of new members has sprung up, seemingly intent on vigorously defending Apple's latest & greatest at "all costs", draw you own conclusions on that.

Yoga 910 if a very good system, no pen support mind. Thinkpad X1 Carbon is excellent, however price escalates to Surface Book territory rapidly as one up's the spec, especially the Yoga version. New Kaby Lake CPU's will help on the thermals and keep the fans turning a little slower for all. If noise intrusion is a concern opt for i5 over i7 as the latter is more "boosty" and will push the fans more frequently, with i7 being 10% - 13% faster in general.

Also worth considering if you will lever benefit from the Surface Book's 2 in 1 design & 3:2 display, keyboard is another aspect to consider, some are superb, some outright awful, Surface Book being the former. I would outline your needs versus wants and see how things look then, no point to pay for 2 in 1 features you won't use etc. another strategy is set a budget and stick to it, Surface Book is at the far end of the scale for a 13" portable so you want to be sure it's good match.

Do you need/want notebook with dGPU as that is a cost factor with Surface Book, the base model is well priced for a premium product, although admittedly storage is limited, equally expandable by a Micro SD Card and suitable flush to chassis carrier. Depending on your location deals may also be had; Best Buy open box etc. I paid approximately $1900 for my i7, 8Gb, 256, & dGPU which I was ok with, I would certainly now be inclined to opt for a i7, 16Gb, 512, Performance Base model or Surface Book 2, as I am seeing & experiencing direct benefit from the design & features.

With Windows based systems you now have a huge array of choice and options Any questions regarding the Surface Book fire away :) Had I not gone with Surface Book, I would have likely opted for one of the Yoga's preferably with pen support. For a more basic clamshell notebook I would need to think as the choice is is far broader, equally very likely a Thinkpad X1 Carbon.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
@Queen6 - All very valid questions and things to consider. I do not think I need a dGPU* as this will be for writing, watching videos, light social media etc. However, I loved the Apple pencil and pen support is tempting (I'd like something more than a Surface Pro though as my history with tablets is rocky).

Thank you for the offer of information and caveats.

I may visit the Microsoft store tonight to test these in store (they sell the 3 non MS laptops too I have considered which is helpful). I appreciate your vote of confidence for the Yogas as well. While I have an idea of what I would like to start with: what looks good online, doesn't necessarily translate to what works in the field.

*Once I replace my iMac then I will need a good graphics card.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I have to say, when they update the Surface Book to the new Nvidia GPUs, it will be a very very very good computer.
You lot on here are always praising it.

I just..... ehh.... I've owned every Surface Pro and Windows just..... sucks!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
@Queen6 - All very valid questions and things to consider. I do not think I need a dGPU* as this will be for writing, watching videos, light social media etc. However, I loved the Apple pencil and pen support is tempting (I'd like something more than a Surface Pro though as my history with tablets is rocky).

Thank you for the offer of information and caveats.

I may visit the Microsoft store tonight to test these in store (they sell the 3 non MS laptops too I have considered which is helpful). I appreciate your vote of confidence for the Yogas as well. While I have an idea of what I would like to start with: what looks good online, doesn't necessarily translate to what works in the field.

*Once I replace my iMac then I will need a good graphics card.
Although the SP4 is classed as a Tablet it's no different to any other comparable spec clamshell laptop other than it's form factor. It's not like your missing out on features or performance etc. The backlit KB is excellent and has a precision glass trackpad.

I'm more of a coffee table user than a laptop but my middle son an ex MBP user copes no problems on the sofa and uses the pen/touch input far more than I. The kickstand makes the SP4 one of the best as there is no screen wobble possible, Photo/Image touch up when using the SP4 almost flat is great (ala MS Surface Studio Mode) and also the surface dial is compatible (Yet to get one) across MS range

The Surface book is the energizer bunny as Lisa Grade would say compared to the SP4 6ish hours and I never understand why comparisons are even drawn to IPad Pro and there like using Mobile OS's, is beyond me

The MS magnesium alloy shell is great in terms of durability/impact damage and attention to detailing is outstanding.

When the SB2 or SP5 comes out it will be a tough call outside of endurance and dGPU consideration IMO

Reactions: kazmac and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I have to say, when they update the Surface Book to the new Nvidia GPUs, it will be a very very very good computer.
You lot on here are always praising it.

Can see Surface Book 2 having options for Nvida 1050/1060 dGPU, new rechargeable Pen with tilt, Kaby Lake is given some talk of a Quad Core, which would be interesting indeed, USB C/TB-3 is possible, equally Surface has it`s own multi role connector and official dock, 4K display etc. In short the Surface Book is likely to become an ever more compelling option.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I just..... ehh.... I've owned every Surface Pro and Windows just..... sucks!

I never like the Surface Tablet and always ended up returning within days.

Windows 10 has been good to me. I have little choice as I still like Office for Windows MUCH better. I also need QuickBooks Pro and AutoCAD and that makes Win10 a requirement. I have thrown everything at my my new Surface Book and it has performed without flaw.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Same here. Back to Windows 10 in a big way after basically just using my ipad for the last 8 months. Windows 10 is very very good. Have it running on my macbook pro while I wait for my Surface Book to arrive in. Have got my Dell 34inch curved monitor ready and waiting!

BTW - one of the neat tricks in W10 is to add a webpage/site to your start screen as an "app". Makes accessing sites really straightforward and simple. Recommend it.

Windows 10 has been good to me. I have little choice as I still like Office for Windows MUCH better. I also need QuickBooks Pro and AutoCAD and that makes Win10 a requirement. I have thrown everything at my my new Surface Book and it has performed without flaw.

Queen6

macrumors G4

My story with Windows 10 started with one of the cheapest touch screen 2 in 1's I could source :) I liked Microsoft's implementation, moved up to a Samsung TabPro S to appraise just how the new OS performs in a working environment, albeit on a low power system. Now with the Surface Book as my primary portable, no regrets, possibly bar waiting on Apple ;) Surface Pro 4 I passed on due to the battery runtime and my usage, as it's predominantly 80/20 notebook biased. So clearly Surface Book was the better option for my needs. I was initially sceptical due to the negativity, equally I have never had major issue on Windows systems that I had set up myself, same remains true today.

The one and only software issue being my Surface Book does not show "Battery usage by app" not sure if is related to how my systems set up, have looked at others and it seems 50/50, equally none of those that worked were on they latest anniversary update. I figure is will be corrected in an upcoming update, i'll work it out, equally as everything else is perfect and Surface Book easily exceeds 10 hours on battery, not really a concern.

n.b. non of my old Windows based notebooks have touch, so new hardware was mandatory to see what Windows 10 can deliver, as I wanted to experience Touch & Pen input aspects of the OS, before splashing on the Surface Book. Right now the decision is more than confirmed; becoming more productive, learning new ways to lever the systems potential, moving away from the past...

Q-6

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
@SteveJUAE thanks for your comments / usage on the SP4. I blew it off because I saw it as a tablet and my tablet history has been awful (mostly returns). That said, whenever I get to a store, I will test the keyboard and see if it something I should consider.

For the price though, I am still veering toward more traditional laptop.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
@SteveJUAE thanks for your comments / usage on the SP4. I blew it off because I saw it as a tablet and my tablet history has been awful (mostly returns). That said, whenever I get to a store, I will test the keyboard and see if it something I should consider.

For the price though, I am still veering toward more traditional laptop.
I must confess I did err more towards the SP4 than SB just to see how much I could force myself to use the extra functions offered by 2 in 1's , touch and pen and I have a preference for max'd out smaller footprints :).

I had touchscreen 4/5 years back and I found it almost not used so did not miss it on my rMB's phase but the combination of the Surface line and Win10 changed the balance.

Something that seems to escape many critics of touch and pen is simply it's there as an option unlike the new Touchbar nothing has been removed or radically changed physically or to the naked eye. Considering there is around $70 delta to SB and equivalent 13" MBP 2016 that's a lot of potential, then throw in removable reversible screen etc I can only imagine how much Apple would charge for this LOL. Given the proliferation of shallow travel KB's the 1mm on the SP4 cover is almost luxury by todays standards :D

My personal habits (as I have the KB attached most of the time) have evolved to doing somethings via touch or pen and it's a natural progression IMO from all the other touch devices we all now use and take for granted. It's almost the reverse of Trackpads where once the mouse was king of interface tools and still is in most office environments it's faded for most daily personal use but on occasion you need to revert.

Of course if you are a creative type or even for touching up photos etc the touch and pen have greater benefits

I have tried many so called "consumption devices" and quite honestly they end up as place mats on the coffee table. Full OS or nothing for me :) and 10" screen seems the minimum comfort level using Win10 IMO. I had hoped my SP4 would of negated my desire for smaller devices but there is something to be said for having $400-700 2 in 1 your bag at all times opposed to a >$2000 full laptop/2 in 1.

For this reason I may opt for the SB 2 accompanied with a little Samsung Tab Pro S for example although if the SP5 has some stunning feature I could be persuaded otherwise

Reactions: kazmac and Queen6

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Pushed my Desktop aside and used my new Surfacebook all this weekend and the more I use it the best I like. This thing is fast and my much loved MS Office runs great right along with QBPro and AutoCAD. The graphics is stunning for a laptop!

Reactions: From A Buick 8

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Pushed my Desktop aside and used my new Surfacebook all this weekend and the more I use it the best I like. This thing is fast and my much loved MS Office runs great right along with QBPro and AutoCAD. The graphics is stunning for a laptop!

Congrats enjoy

I did a little AutoCAD on my SP4 for a builder friend it ran fine as you have found but I think my menus were a tad small for long term use

The right pull out menu with settings etc is just so easy to use with a finger swipe yet the start menu I seem to still use the pointer, face recognition for a logon is just so simple

Reactions: Newtons Apple

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Surface Book is OK but at that price point OK is not good enough. You need to be beating the MacBook Pro at that price, and unfortunately both the hardware and software doesn't come close to what Apple has to offer.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Surface Book is OK but at that price point OK is not good enough. You need to be beating the MacBook Pro at that price, and unfortunately both the hardware and software doesn't come close to what Apple has to offer.
The MBP Pro 15 has a quad core the SB i7 performance only has a dual core which at that price tag is a huge bummer.

If MS is playing their cards right with the SP 5 and Surface Book 2 they could have some absolute homerun machines granted QA needs to be perfect can't have the same bugs as the previous modells did ar launch

Queen6

macrumors G4

If that was the case I would own a 2016 MBP, I don't and for good reason. Some are moving to the Surface Book as it`s the portable that meets their needs, pouring scorn on it won't change the facts...

Q-6
[doublepost=1485228920][/doublepost]
The MBP Pro 15 has a quad core the SB i7 performance only has a dual core which at that price tag is a huge bummer.

If MS is playing their cards right with the SP 5 and Surface Book 2 they could have some absolute homerun machines granted QA needs to be perfect can't have the same bugs as the previous modells did ar launch

Personally I think Microsoft will respond very well with Surface Pro 5 & Surface Book 2, as they are listening to their customers. Surface Book is Microsoft's first attempt at the notebook, nor is it too shabby now they have the drivers sorted. For the first time ever I am looking forward to the Microsoft events in 2017, as for the Apple events doubt I will even watch. I don't need thinner, I want great innovation, usability & practicality, and that undefinable WOW factor that Apple has lost, not more disappointment.

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.