I bought a used Mac, what do I do next...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by acedickson, Feb 20, 2005.

1. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

To make everything legit. Such as making sure I'm the registered owner of the machine or so forth. I don't know what's necessary. Please let me know what I need to do.

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Well it's not like buying a second hand car. It's perfectly legit as soon as you have it, no paperwork needs doing.

3. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Do you mean like those Win XP serial number stickers to verify OS "activation"? Not sure what you're asking.

On the performance end, I'd add RAM and a CPU upgrade card (check out Sonnet, Giga, Powerlogix).

4. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Depends on what the system already has. :) A Dual 1.42GHz G4 PowerMac isn't going to benefit much from a CPU upgrade at this time, for example. Nevertheless, the point is a good one. If you can get an upgrade that's (I'd say) at least 50% faster than what you have (like a 1.25GHz if you bought an 800MHz system) then it's probably worth upgrading.

But the first thing _I_ would do is perform a completely clean install of MacOS. That way you're sure that all passwords, file permissions, etc. will be yours and yours alone.

After I bought my dual G4 PowerMac last summer, I added a 16X DVD+R drive, upgraded to OSX 10.3 (Panther) and iLife 05. I also added a SerialATA card (by Seritek) and a 160GB Samsung SerialATA hard drive (system only came with an 80GB IDE drive). I also upgraded my video card to the Radeon 9800 Pro (the highest card the PowerMac G4 can use) in anticipation of some new features coming in MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger).

5. 40167 macrumors regular

... Well it does say what he was getting in his signature, so it's pretty safe to assume thats what he now has.

Personaly i'd just leave it and save for a new mac, don't wanna trow to much into the used systems (especially since a mac mini is only 499, dont wanna spend 300 on a used one)... Right now im on a 333mhz iMac with 160mb ram and OSX 10.3.8; doesn't run that bad except loading programs initialy takes quite some time.

On the software end, id format and reinstall OSX (Assuming it came with the OS CD, it should have to be legal) so it gets rid of all the other persons stuff... then just install your programs and have fun.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You need to reread the acedickson's signature. He has a 300 MHz G3 on the way. At 640 MB RAM and 100 GB HD, he has ample RAM and storage. If he wants more performance, a G4 upgrade would make a substantial difference. The OS is supposed to be MacOS X 10.3.8, which is the latest version.

acedickson, unlike Windows, MacOS X 10.3 has no activation. The only time that original ownership will be an issue is for a claim under AppleCare. I recommend that you buy it if you want to keep the computer for a few years. While buying AppleCare, you may look into transferring the official registrated ownership of the computer to your name.

When you get your G3 in hand, work with it a bit. If you hit a snag, feel free to return here for help. In the meantime, welcome to the World of Macintosh. You will like it here.

7. OSX Panther macrumors member

I would reinstall OSX, just cause you get a special feeling, Like: It´s my own! I love you!

8. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Ok 2 things:

1. The previous owner is probably not going to include the Panther CDs so an OS reinstall will not be easy.

2. There is no way he is going to be able to purchase applecare on a computer made 6 - 7 years ago

9. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Signatures

Hmm, why am I not seeing signatures on anyone's posts? The only thing I see is off on the left side it says "macrumors member Location: San Antonio, TX"

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the option was disabled in my User CP. Now I shan't look so dumb when replying to messages with signatures. :)

10. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

As someone else mentioned, don't bother with the upgrades on a computer this old. By the time you add RAM, a CPU upgrade, and a hard drive, you will have spent enough to get a new computer. Enjoy what you have and get feel for what you needs will be. A year from now invest in a new one that gives you what you want.

I also recommend a clean install of the OS. It provides a peace of mind that's hard to put into words.