I bought an iMac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by buffalo, Jul 31, 2005.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

Well I've been looking on these forums for a while now but I'm a pretty new poster. But today I went to my local Apple Store and made the purchase of a new iMac 2.0 Ghz w/ Superdrive along with the Student version of MS Office.

It took me less than 5 minutes to set this mac up and get it running! It is awesome. It dected my Linksys wireless router immediately which was a relief.

Well I have learned much from reading these forums so thank you to you all!

-buffalo

2. iGary Guest

iGary

What screen size?

Congrats!

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

4. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

17'' and this machine is awesome! Just finished downloading the software updates, so next to install Office.

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Have fun with that. I've decided to go with the Power Mac route instead myself, but to each his own. In any case, the iMac is a really sweet machine. btw, you should have had the title "iBought an iMac" haha.

6. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

The iMacs rock man. You made an excellent choice, bud.

7. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

The Powermac + display is too much power and $$ so the iMac was the way to go for me. The Mac Mini + ACD was right next to the iMac and it looked pretty nice, but the iMac is way better of a machine so I couldn't consider the mini. :)

8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Good call on that one.

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'm happy for you! It'll serve you for years to come!

10. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone! I'm happy so far :D

I'm not looking forward to downloading my 1000 song music collection on there though. :)

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Congratulations.

I have the top of the line iMac G5 with the wireless K&M, very nice indeed. Though the Apple wireless mouse eats a lot of batteries, the keyboard does the best job for power management. :)

Apple fix the wireless mouse power management software. ;) :)

Now for some BT headphones. ;) :D

12. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

i should have gotten wireless keyboard and mouse because the keyboard cable hardley makes it up to the mac to plug it in. Plus, how sweet would it be to only have 1 cable (power cord) connected to the iMac???

:D

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

You too? I thought I was the only one... :( Now I have an ugly cord on the top of my desk.

14. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

my desk isn't even that big either. I had to push the iMac near the end of the desk just to get the keboard cable to reach the back. My keyboard is exposed but there isn't any slack to move it around any.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I just pulled the Mac closer to the front of the desk and just run the cord on top of my desk. That way I can still move the Mac and keyboard if need be. But it sure is fugly! :eek: I'm starting to think seriously about getting a BT keyboard.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

17. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

The iMac will be able to handle The Sims 2, correct? Everything meets the system requirments easily but how is it in real life?

18. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I had the Apple wireless keyboard & mouse added to my iMac when I ordered it yesterday - no way am I gonna get a machine that clean looking and mar it with unnecessary cables!

EDIT:

I'm also curious about the iMac's performance WRT gaming, although in my case I'm concerned with World of Warcraft. From what I've read, seems like it will perform excellently, but more opinions are always welcome.

19. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Here's something to motivate you

http://homepage.mac.com/rdowns/PhotoAlbum6.html

20. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

3 Questions...

First, I'm running internet from a Linksys wireless router in the office (the iMac is in my bedroom). Next to the router is a phone. Most of the time, like now, I get a good connection, but it seems like when the phone is in use I lose my connection. Is the phone the problem? If so, how can i fix the problem.

Next, I'm wondering if the new Mighty Mouse is included in new purchased i/e/PowerMacs. If so, would it be possible for me to either get the mouse or $50 back?

Lastly, the keyboard cable is barely long enough to reach the iMac. Does the BT Keyboard have a USB port to plug in the wired mouse? Or, since the mac was just purchased Sunday, would it be possible buy both the BT keyboard and mouse for $60 like you can BTO?

21. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm still wondering if the BT Keyboard has a USB Port to plug in a wired mouse, or if both have to be wireless.

22. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I looked for myself, and it doesn't seem like the Mighty Mouse is included in the order (got my iMac on Sunday as well) And since the MM is not intended to act as the standard default mouse, I don't think you will have any hopes of getting any kind of refund.

I'm also curious as to whether the wireless keyboard has a USB port, although the online store description does not mention it. What is the status of your order? If it is still being processed, you should be able to have them put in the wireless kb/m combo.

23. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I bought it at the store so I have it already. I'm loving it except for the short keyboard cable. I'll give my local Apple Store to ask about the Mighty Mouse and the possiblity of upgrading to BT Keyboard and mouse. But it just occured to me to buy a USB cable extention, so then I could keep the wired keyboard and possibly buy the MMouse.

24. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

yeah, the wireless keyboard does not have any USB ports, which is something I didn't realize until I needed them.

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Gasp! I never knew that. Whoa, that's good to know, geeze I was starting to think about getting one but that won't work 'cause I wasn't going to get a BT mouse... hmm. Thanks, Sutekidane.