I bought an X-Box 360 (that they still make, apparently)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shacklebolt, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Alright, so as far as the XBox 360 goes:

I've had a few dollars lying around, so I went... a tad crazy and, aside from the system, an extra wireless controller, two charge-and-play adapters, Gears of War and TW2007 (which is really fun), I also nabbed the HD-DVD drive (the lady at best buy, seeing me drop 1k, gave me a look and said, "So... who is this all for?" and all I could say is... "ummm... me."). I was pleasantly surprised to find that a free DVD came in the box (King Kong HD), and am, of course, extremely happy with the picture. I feel kind of silly trying to explain to my dad, "Can't you see how much better the picture is?!" but whatever. I notice it, and I think 200 bucks is a great deal in the face of HD-DVD players going for 500 bucks by themselves. The digital audio sounds quite good hooked up to our 5.1 system, and I'm actually very happy with how quiet the HD DVD player itself is, considering that the X-Box 360 sounds like a fckin' wind tunnel. To be honest, Tiger Woods 2007 has been the the real nice surprise of my little binge. Very fun game - I've customized the golfer to look like my dad.

There are a few questions that I have, however, and if someone could help me out, I'd be appreciative.

1. Due to my awesome technological know-how (relative to my parents, which isn't saying much) all the internet in our house is wireless. The problem is, the cable modem supplying the wireless is nowhere near the television/xbox setup, ergo, I'd have to string a rather long Ethernet cable through the house to get XBox Live. I do however, have, aside from the Airport base station, an Airport Express, boosting the signal of the wireless network. It currently sits in my brother's room, but it could just as easiliy be moved next to the telvision. My question is, can I attach the 360 to the airport express, and thus run XBox live? Or am I just going to have to string the ethernet cable over to the base station. I could, obviously, switch the places of the base station and the express, but I'd prefer to leave things the way they are, if I can.

Question 2. I bought a version that came with a game in the box (need for speed, or something like that) and I found that the hard drive that came in it is only 10gb - or at least, when I created a save profile for a game, it said only 10gb was available. Then again, maybe it meant that over 10gb was available. I'm not sure, but the important number is 10. I'm not amused, because I thought it was a 20gb drive, and it doesn't say on the box. Is there something I'm missing?

Gripes - I'm astonished at how loosely the cables fit together, especially the digital audio. The power brick is hilariously large. The last time I saw a power-intermediary that big was when a friend of mine leant me his Japanese Neo Geo 12 years ago, and I had to use a 30 pound block to convert the power.

Fears - I am of course, very worried that this thing is going to start malfunctioning, especially considering how pleased I am with it. I'm sure I'll get blue-screen-of-death'd before you can spit, and you'll have me on these boards cursing up a storm.

Overall - Woot.

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Well good luck with this x boxer 390. Sorry, I don't own one, so I can't help. :p

<]=)

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1. in theory yes. Eventuaolly you might want to pick up the wireless usb adapter for the 360. Saves so much hassle with cables and works great with airport.

2. 20gb drive is actually around 18 when formatted. 12 gb is available to saves etc, 6-7 gb is reserved for system. Some games buffer to the HD to improved loading etc...

3. cables loosely fit together ? They are solid on mine, do you mean the spdif optical input ? and at least they supply a HD cable (on the premium anyway) unlike Sony & more over Nintendo who insist you have to pay for one, and then dont get anywhere near enough into the shops making the cables €80 on ebay:rolleyes: :p :)

4. Fears. Dont worry you will never see a blue screen of death. If your machine craps out you get to see the special ring of doom. But seriously dont worry you have 12 months waranty/guarantee that can be extended if you want. Microsoft are pertty good at sorting out a crapped up machine. Dont think about it, just enjoy gaming on the console :)

4. padré macrumors regular

xbox

well after a long debate between me and my "i hate everything thats microsoft" i decided to get an xbox 360 meself about this time next week, i can't deny the fact any longer that this system seems to rock quit hard, and the games coming out on it are just awesome (mass effect, gears, bioshock)

so its nice to hear that i love it and don't regred it,
    i will buy the ps3 when its comming out here in europe too, i've ectually neve r been a gamer but these games coming out seem to be quit the trill :)

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I might bite the bullet and pick one up either after Christmas or my birthday. Then again I just forked out for an M3 Lite with a 2gb MicroSD card (seriously, MicroSD's always impress me) and a crap load of presents. Damn you Christmas and your giving ways! I mean there is nothing I'll be buying for the Wii until the next AAA game comes along.

6. islandman macrumors 6502

1. Buy a Linksys Game Adapter. It's a wireless bridge that plugs into the XBox 360 via Ethernet(get a very short cable so that you don't have wires all over). It will not only pick up other wireless in the house, but it also acts as a booster itself. The XBox 360 USB wireless adapter is only a receiver, I believe.

Not sure about question 2. I'll check when I go home.

Welcome to the 360 club :).

7. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Blu Ray is winning the format war; buying the hd dvd player was a mistake.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Really? I guess I missed that headline...

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Huh? Sources? Not that I'm doubting you but I keep a close eye on both and I have yet to see any sugnificant prevalence of either format. Then again this is a little off topic ^_^

10. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

on a side note i hope you got the warrenty. i would not buy a new system with out one.

11. shortyjj macrumors regular

Bought mine last weekend, finally opened it up last night... holy crap! Grabbed maybe 5gigs worth of demos and trailers, and so far I'm not disappointed in the least. Little touches like having downloads going on in the background and being notified in-game when they're done, being able to grab in-game footage at 720p (GoW!) or walk-thrus... very well done.

Quick question: is there any known way to get the media you purchase from Xbox Live off of that hard drive? Any idea what format the media is in?

12. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

If you say its' winning, people will believe it, and it will win.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But it isnt.

HD-DVD sales are 11 - 1 over BluRay. Argue all you like, but you cant argue with the retail figures.

HD-DVD at this present time is kicking BluRay's arse.

It currently uses the better advanced compression system and is giving a better experience than BluRay.

Disney who were advocates of BluRay have now decided to hold back to the later part of 2007, and are re-considering HD-DVD.

and as for games and consumer satisfaction

and further proof PS3 may not be helping BluRay

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had no idea HD-DVD was doing so well!

One question regarding HD-DVD - We all know the 360 sounds like a friggin washing machine when playing a DVD game, how does the HD-DVD drive run compared to the DVD?

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's quiet. I dont quite know why the 360's drive is so noisy because the HD-DVD drive is quiet, shame you cant play games on it :eek:

16. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

Really??? I brought some actual numbers that prove you are wrong...
    http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm

17. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

How dare you make arguments backed up by logic and sources. This is a gaming (sub)forum. You should know by now that the only acceptable form of argument is: "bluray rocks!!!!1 PS3 4ever! HDDVD sux....LOLzzzzz..."

Shame on you.

:(

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Man, are you from Bizarro World or something? HD-DVD is absolutely *killing* Blu-ray.

Well, the HD-DVD drive costs $200 at retail; the 360's internal DVD drive would cost maybe $10 at retail. Somewhere in that difference explains the noise reduction. ;)

19. Motley macrumors 6502

Then the only appropriate follow up to your post is... Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

WHOA nelly. It took a couple of weeks before the 360 VGA cable appeared in shops, even then they were rock solid to get ahold of. Maplin told us there is a small shop in WALES stocking these cables, GAME had none etcetc. £25 it was. think they're £20 now.

VGA cables are required in my setup, and the guy who took a train to Wales to pick one up.

21. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I'm not sure you can say that HD-DVD is killing Blueray... I think both formats are still kind of up in the air. I did, however, buy the HD-DVD drive for the 360, because I looked at the list of movies and decided that even if the format fails tomorrow and no more movies are released, I'll be happy with the ones I have and the expense was worth it.

My 360 drive is basically as quiet as the HD-DVD drive, but I bought my 360 later...maybe they upgraded the drive? The fan I attached makes everything pretty noisy, though...;)

My optical cable is also really loose... just brushing it will knock it out.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bought the vga cable with my 360 on launch.

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

How does the HD-DVD Drive do with upscaling? Or can the regular drive do upscaling without the HD-DVD addon?

I'm considering (maybe, just possibly) picking up a 360 later on as in next Christmas.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

both can do upscaling of dvd but only via vga cable due not to a limitation of the hardware but the rules the dvd forum have set out.

25. jdechko macrumors 68040

Thanks. Looks like I still need to pick up an upconverting DVD player then as my TV doesn't have a VGA input. Curse my TV... I'm running out of good inputs.