I bought my first home tonight!

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, May 11, 2005.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Well... I did. Although closing is still a ways away, I accepted their counter offer on a 3 bedroom, 2500 sqr ft, old school cape cod built in 1900.

Beautiful wood work throughout... built in china cabinet, 3 fire-places (non-functional), deacons benches, bookshelves, wood floors in every room... all original. It does need some work, paint, roof, some plumming, but overall the inside of the house is in great condition. Inspections came back fine... so there was no other choice.

I'm so excited. I had to share. The best part was the price, houses in Dayton are reasonable but the asking price of $65,000 was just unheard of. The seller was in a bad position... and with my down payment that I've saved... my first home loan is going to be for $45,000.

I'll get some photos posted soon.

2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Dang dude, congrats!. I can't even imagine when I'll be financially set to OWN a house yet. Such a big leap in life...I await the time that I'll reach that stage.

3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Congratulations on the house, cr2sh! That is definitely good news.

Can't wait for the pictures. :D

5. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

The front outside and the formal dining room (with china cabinet).

I'll have to download my camera to get better ones... but I'll get to that later.

:)

Attached Files:

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Wow, that's really great. There's no feeling quite like spending that first night in your very own home. Looks like a great place to hang your hat.
    My guess is that aa house like that would go for around $90,000 in the city here, and quite a bit more in the county where we live, maybe as much as $200,000 depending on the land.

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Great Investment

Sweet. Good job. Real estate is doing better than the stock market - and it's not doing bad. I bought a condo here in Fort Myers 3 years ago for $63,000. One just sold (same unit number as mine) last month for $150,000 :eek: Heh, until I'm done paying child support (that will be a while) I couldn't even afford to live here by todays prices!

Enjoy your new place :D

8. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

haha um not to sound dumb but that is a "cute" looking house

im jealous :rolleyes:

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    congrats! there's nothing quite like buying your first home...and the quesy feeling you get when you start signing all the loan docs. :D

i'm a big fan of old homes, my wife and i looked for almost a year to find one that was in decent condition and hadn't been reMUDDled... those builtins look nice.

and for only 65k! i envy your mortgage payment. btw, for a loan that size i'd do a 15 year note...should be around $375/month.

10. noel4r macrumors 6502a

$65K???? for a 2500 square foot house? I live in Los Angeles and I bought my townhouse last year for 5 times that much and its only 1900 square feet. Imagine how many Apple computers I could have bought if houses around here cost that little...

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No kidding. It would likely be 8-10 times that much here. My 1700 square foot cape, in need of much work, cost seven times as much two years ago.

Edit: can't believe I forgot this: Congrats! It's a wonderful feeling - and don't worry if it seems everything is about to fall apart 10 minutes before closing. It always seems that way, and it rarely turns out anything but well.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Congratulations!

There was a time when I was looking at houses in Dayton but felt that the prices had risen terribly. As long as you're satisfied, that's all that matters. Good luck with it.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Congrats to you Cr2sh!! Hope the closing goes well and speedily, and that it works out for many many years!

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Congrats!

You will be the envy of all the rest of us with high cost of houses in our areas. Have to sell mine, long story that I have mentioned before in threads. My TH is now considered low-end on the scale and we are expecting $325k+, up about $25K from just two months ago. Some of us would have to fight the drug dealers to get the same in the DC area. :)

So just how is the job market in Dayton? :D

Again congrats. I'll never forget the thrill of buying this place. And it sounds as if you did very well in the deal.

Edit: Forgot to say that it is a 1400 sf "starter home" 25 miles from DC built in the late 70's.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Damn, all those prices sound heaps cheap when compared to Toronto (even the 'burbs) or Sydney.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the asking price of $65,000 was unheard of? ghack! OMG, that's just not right. Back in DC you really couldn't buy anything for that price.....the land any building was on would be worth far more than that.

But congrats and welcome to the world of home ownership :D

D

17. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

No no no... unheard of cheap. In this area houses go mid-90's, she just happened to really need to get rid of it.

I'm walking around with this surreal feeling.. seems almost too good to be true.

:)

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Most of us would even settle at twice you paid in our locations. :)

Hopefully you had a home inspection as part of the contract.

19. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

WTF?!?!

65 gees? Thats ridiculous. We recently bought a house in Vancouver that is approximately the same size as yours and it was upwards of 800. If I moved down to where you are..wow...I can only imagine the kind of house I could live in :rolleyes:

20. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

FOR REAL! A small condo in the seattle area is almost 250,000-300,000 for 500-800sf. Was there some kind of nuclear fallout that happened there or something? :eek:

Edit: Oh for gods sake, you monthly payments will be around $270 if its 6% for 30 years. Thats just disgusting! I stand by my fallout theory.

21. makisushi macrumors 6502

SWEET!!!
    That rocks dude. Welcome to home ownership and weekly trips to Home Depot!

It is great to still see some areas that don't have insane pricing hikes. Chip knows what I am talking about.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cool and Congrats, breaking the rent cycle is a good thing.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Congrats! My wife and I are looking for our first home.

Prices for houses built in the 1970s at ~1500sqft range from $130,000 to $160,000 here. So you got a killer deal!

With that kind of saving, you could do some serious upgrading.

24. joetronic macrumors 6502

congratulations. I bought my first home not to long ago myself, best decision I have ever made.

25. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

What a Deal! Nice looking place too. Nothing better than a place to call your own (and the banks). :)