I broke down and bought an Xbox

Discussion in 'Games' started by Flowbee, May 30, 2004.

1. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I have to admit, it felt a little strange dropping $$$ on a Microsoft product, but I've been itching to get my hands on Halo for a while now (and have no interest in replacing my trusty G4 Cube to do it). Call me crazy, and I know some of you will, but the thing that finally got me off my butt and down to the store was the release of the green 'Halo edition' Xbox. Ugly? Perhaps. But the Xbox is such a monstrosity anyway, that the clear green case just puts it over the top. Call it high-tech camp.

I've already spent a couple of hours with Halo, which is incredibly fun. I also picked up 'Star Wars: Kinghts of the Old Republic' and 'Crimson Skies.' It's nice to have something to play again since my wife has taken over our Gamecube with her 'Harvest Moon' addiction. :D

Anyone else thinking of picking up a Green Machine?

Attached Files:

2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I'd say you made a wise purchase!

I have been considering taking the plunge and buying an Xbox, just so I can play Munch's Oddworld. I l-o-v-e that game, as does my girlfriend.

Alas, my funds are rather tight at the moment, and will be for awhile. Before I get my Xbox, I need to get a TV for my place.....

I've been itching for Halo as well.....

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

It's so worth it. You should definately buy one. I have one and am buying a second one because i want to talk advantage of the system link and i play on xbox live a lot. So i can have more than one xbox going at once. You could always buy a used xbox, theres nothing wrong with that. It's guaranteed to work. That probably what i'm going to do. And halo is the bomb. If you guys have routers you could play halo online. xbconnect.com or something like that has a program that you download and use to play online games. It has step by step instructions on how to use it. But you have to have a router.

4. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

Or you could use Aquaduct 2
    The public beta came out today. It does the samething as as xbconnect but is for mac. The second version lets u play against window users who have xbconnect, whereas the first version only let u play against other mac users. So now there is a much larger number of people to play with.

5. wide macrumors 6502a

Good choice. Even on computers, Halo performance isn't as good as it is on the Xbox--even 2 GHz G5s.

6. jihad the movie macrumors regular

I did the same thing...

Two weeks ago. Best gaming purchase I have made in a long time. I said I would never get an xbox, then I saw the Halo edition one for 149.99 at my mall, and what do you know, shortly thereafter my pockets were empty, and my hands were full with this green behemoth.

Now I just wish this damn machine were smaller... It takes up so much room... but the games look oh so purdy.

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

You won't even realize how much room it takes up after a while. I heard the green xbox's were louder than the regulars. I think the fan is a little louder in them. But there definatley worth it just to have it in that special edition color. Congrats again!

8. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Ditched Gamecube

I did the same. I ditched my Gamecube for the Xbox (traded it in) and never looked back. I loved the 'cube's design but it didn't have the games I wanted to play. I do miss Resident Evil on GC but other than that I'm happy with Xbox. My only complaint is that it makes a little noise and it is a bit big and clunky, but it also plays DVDs. I'm sure Xbox II will rock.

9. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

HAHA You traitors. So lets see, seems to me like your souls ARE for sale afterwards... :)
    Nah, just kidding... I don't care. I had one since almost the beginning. I played it alot at the beginning but lately find myself more interested in playing online with my PS2. So XBOX really is collecting dust. It will probably get some action once Halo 2 is released...
    Although I think that green one looks like crap. I have "pinkstatic" applied to my xbox and ps2, same metallic color as my G5. Now that makes them look cool. :)

10. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

My xbox look something very close to this (Don't know if you like it; I DO):

Attached Files:

11. russed macrumors 68000

russed

12. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Can anyone verify this? I'm looking at getting an xbox in the next few months and I would rather have a quiet (or less noisy) machine than a green one.

13. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Who has the best online gaming community now? Xbox or PS2?

Pro/cons of each?

14. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Halo is the only reason to buy an XBOX just wait till Halo 2 comes out *drools*.

15. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I'm more of a 'Cube fan myself (new zelda, metroid, and RE4 are just too much to pass up), but I do see how the XBox would be a good choice.

(Hate the PS2 though)

Now, go out and get Rayman 3 you heathens. (One of my favorite games)

Also, pick up and play Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time if you haven't.

And finally...Jet Set Radio Future.

These three should be cheap.

16. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

That looks very good. Im not an Xbox fan, but thats a cool mod!

17. lind0834 macrumors regular

The ability to Mod the Xbox Easily into a Linux Box, Every Media Player, or Every Game Emulator makes it an easy best console in my book.

18. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

i reckon XBox is better graphically, but the PS2 still has a lot more games. Halo really is the only game which would definately sell me on an XBox, and i just bought the mac version so i wont buy an XBox now.

Also Seth, how old are you? Are you at high school or uni? Tara is hot... *runs off to donate money! :D*

19. &RU macrumors member

GAAAAH!

You bought an XBox to play a title that is available on the Mac?! For shame!!

... but that green is kinda kewl - you should put those crazy PC glow lights in it. I liked the white 'special addition' Panzer Dragoon XBox, but I think it was only available in Japan.

I am personally waiting to see if they release the PSX here in North America. I prefer the games that are released for Sony.

20. jihad the movie macrumors regular

It is just as loud as PS2 in my opinion.

21. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Do a search on the xbox forums for the gree xbox's. Theres a good amount of info on there.

22. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yeah, it was a tough choice:
    $2000+ for a new Mac that will run Halo plus $50 for the game or...
    $170 for an Xbox and Halo

And don't get me wrong, I still love my Gamecube. Between the Xbox and the Gamecube, you can pretty much play all of the 'must have' console games out there.

23. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I have both and IMO they both suck.

The biggest con on the XBox as far as online gaming is paying $50 a year to do it. That's just silly. Then after you pay $50 you find 3 kinds of people: 9 year olds, 13 year olds, and 45 year olds (whose 9 and 13 year olds are doing their homework or something). You can actually hear just how clueless the people are thanks to that spiffy headset that comes with XBox Live. The whole place has kind of a sterile and controlled feeling--it reminds me of America Online. Everybody be nice or we will discipline you!

My biggest problem with PS2 online gaming is the lack of games that support it. For about 2 years I've been looking for excuses to buy the network adaptor for PS2. I want to play games online with my PS2! There is not one game that I want to play that supports it. Not one.

For good online gaming I think a computer is your only choice. I love to play Medal of Honor online on my Mac. There's a huge community and it's free. Plus there's the opportunity to use different maps and stuff like that. Consoles can't compete right now.

24. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Well it breaks down like this mostly:

With xbox, you probably get a slightly better network quality built in HDD allows for downloadable content and faster loading times (although PS2 just released Hdd as well). PS2 allows for both dialup and broadband users which is a plus. And it's not true that dialup users lag the games. Most network demanding games are either broadband only or separated. Take Twisted Metal Black Online. Both dialup and broadband users can play for free but dialup users cannot join broadband games, while broadband users may join dialup games if they want. I like the idea that PS2 online games are mostly free to play. But if you take into account that you need to spend 40 bucks on modem and then 30 bucks on headset (optional) and perhaps $20 on usb keyboard(optional) it still ends up costing more for atleast first year. Over the long run, ps2 still is less in cost and considerig most of those hardware things u buy can be used with your computer or sold later on, it makes it for a wiser investment. XBOX Live yearly fee just disappers into the air.
    I personally hate paying fees. Id much rather pay money once and not to be worried that I have to cash out more money every month or year. And microsoft policies just piss me off. They want you to run out and get a prepaid card worth of 50 bucks and then when you set up your account they still ask you for a credit card number... WTF!? whats the point of prepaid then? I just don't trust this kind of tactics. Not to mention they are very strict there on their network and may get booted quite easily. Kinda like on their gaming zone (www.zone.com). Now that most PS2 games are also designed for headset and keyboard, why go for XBOX live? And 40 gig hdd which is already supported by number of games, will definatelly rock.

People you play with online however make you wish you never had that headset, i swear. There is always some kid who can barely pronounce words yet talks so much !@#$ not even funny. There are some females who talk even more !@#% (surprisingly not very pleasant to play with :rolleyes: ). Then there are some dumbasses who are drunk or high or pretend to be so, talking nonsense, and sometimes giving free karaoke concerts as well. Those are the people who usually talk your ear off and never shut up. Not to mention they play like crap. Most of the normal ppls don't seem to talk much. In SOCOM 2, many games no one talks about strategies at all except for some one idiot who never killed one guy in the game yet loves to criticize how everyone else plays...

Well, going back to PS2 or XBOX, I'd go for PS2 online. But then again I may be bias there becuase I simply like current PS2 online games alot better than what XBOX has.

25. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would definatly have to disagree with HORRORTAXI. The xbox community is not made up of just 9,13, and 45 year old. It depends on what game your playing. I play rainbow six 3 and that game is made up of everyone from every age group. True there are more younger kids, but do you expect 30 and 40 year old to be playing video games non stop? I hope not. Just because there are a lot of young kids on doesn't give you a reason to go dissing the xbox live community. I can guarentee those little 9 and 13 year old could whoop your ass at any game offered for xbox live. It's also way better then ps2 online. Plus you won't ever have the lag problems you get with ps2 because you have to have a cable connection to play on xbox live. Plus that 50$ a year is an extremely small fee to pay for such a great service.