I C Q ???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse525, May 8, 2005.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Ok.... I'm pretty computer savvy BUT I have never used ICQ. I know...I know, it's sad. What am I missing out on?

Can someone explain in a nutshell what it is and what I need to get started?

What's a good app?

How the heck to connect to others?

Thanks for any help!

~e

2. ipedro macrumors 68030

ipedro

3. zach macrumors 65816

zach

If you are talking about IRC...

A good way to get started is to pick up a channel-specific client, like our very own macrumors client, and get straight into a channel.

Just about anyone there (myself included :D) can help you out to get going on a real IRC client.

If you wanna just jump right in, try XChat Aqua or Colloquy, they're by far the two best Mac clients.

And whatever you do, make sure to get into #macrumors on irc.krono.net ;)

And if you're looking for info, this is ::the:: definitive guide, although it's a bit out of date.

The IRC Prelude

4. Zion Grail macrumors regular

No, he means ICQ. http://icq.com/ "I Seek You"

It's an instant messaging service, like AIM or MSN. It's been around a LONG time. I first started using ICQ back on my old Pentium 120 PC. A SERIOUSLY long time ago. I want frequenting the Sim City 3000 forums, and the guys there told me about it. This was back win Sim City 3000 was supposed to be full 3D. I mean a SERIOUSLY long time ago, at least in the computing world.

Instead of a hard SN, with ICQ you get a UIN, or Universal Identification Number. Like I said, I have a really old ICQ account, and I was up in the 15,000,000 range. Thus, it's been around substantially longer than even I've been using it. You can change your handle at will with ICQ.

Adium can handle ICQ and just about anything else, all simultaneously. www.adiumx.com

I've got it running my AIM, ICQ, .Mac, Yahoo, and MSN accounts all at once right as we speak.

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Why use ICQ NOW??

AOL Purchased ICQ and basically stabbed it to death. It died after bleeding for seven days without water on a deserted island. It saw a helicopter fly over but not stopping. Its dead now. But some people still like to give it life...

I have no friends on ICQ and I never used it.

BUT on windows it seriously screws up the computer.

6. Zion Grail macrumors regular

I still know some people on ICQ. I don't recommend using the default program. As I said, Adium can handle just about all your IM needs simultaneously.

www.adiumx.com

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I've used ICQ for years, and it always have great International SMS support, but crappy sms support in the US. ICQ was an israeli company before it was bought by AOL/Netscape they agreed they same team got to develop it for 5 years. Anyways, it is a great away to International sms other countries for free. Just because you don't know anybody who uses, perhaps because you only speak english.

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

n00b!!! I was under 5,000,000!

:D

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

9484306 represent!!

ICQ is great. It was the first system to allow you to send messages to people who weren't online. I know a great many people who still use it.

TEG

BTW: That little flower on the right is the link to my UIN, just like the running man is AIM, the Twins are MSN-Messenger, and The "Y!" is Yahoo IM.

TEG

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

1.2 million :p and still works.

11. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

i've got a number in the 2milion

I once saw an ebay sale of someone selling a number in the 100,000..... and people actually bid on it....

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

heh that is crazy

13. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

14. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you shunk my battleship :(

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I knew someone working in a professional setting who didn't know how to network his computers, so he would ICQ himself files, sometimes several hundred megabytes in size.

16. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Mine, too. :(

17. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

now THAT is kinda funny :)

i recieved my first MP3 over ICQ when I was in 7th grade. In fact it was One Headlight by The Wallflowers. I bought it on iTMS since it was the first song i know i stole (before stealing music really caught on).. napster happened about 4-5 years later, roughly. Using WinAMP .9 something i think.

My cousin's ex-husband has one in the 600,000 range. he told me about ICQ. still uses that number too, in fact he's the only one i ever talk to on ICQ anymore. i actually prefer ICQ due to it's offline messaging.

18. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

So is that thinking outside the box?

19. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Mine was an early leak of "All About the Benjamins" by the artist formerly known as Puff Daddy.

That would be what? Summer of '97? I was a sophomore in high school.

I actually prefer ICQ for half a dozen different reasons, that being one of them -- but that was before the release of AIM.

AIM won that war in my circle of friends.

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I never use ICQ. I think that I got a number, but it doesn't bother me. All my friends were on AIM, so I was just like screw it...

BTW, I went searching for ICQ auctions, and I must say that eBay sure does have some crazy listings...;)

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Appears my 3 ICQ names got purged from their servers. I was under 500,000 since I used it in 1997. I use iChat now. :D

22. Zion Grail macrumors regular

Wow. Just over 100,000. Looks like you shanked my jenga ship something incredible (inside joke, don't worry about it). Not to mention everyone else's.

23. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

ahhh I can't swim!