I can connect through airport but not through an ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bense27, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bense27 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I can connect through the airport fine, but then when i try to connect to the internet using the ethernet cable, it does not connect. And when I try to connect on xbox live, it works, and i am plugging the cable into the same ethernet port in the wall....I got it to work before but for some reason now, it is not

help?:confused:

anything would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
    bense:)

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Well you've ruled out the fact of a bad cord/jack ahead of time, good. I think the next step would be to turn off any firewall you have on (or anything similar to a firewall) and see what happens.

3. bense27 thread starter macrumors regular

well actually, i am using two different cords...

4. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

So I guess you haven't ruled out that there's something wrong with the cord...

Have you now?

Otherwise, open System Preferences / Network: What does your network status say when you've got the ethernet plugged in? Have you tried turning off airport when you try the ethernet?

5. bense27 thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried playing around with different cords, and nothing seems to be working. and yes, I do turn airport off when I try to connect through the ethernet cable. I went to the system prefs and it says that the Built-In ethernet is not plugged in.:confused:

6. bense27 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I fixed it. All it needed was a good ole-fashion restart. Thanks alot for the responses though guys. I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner!

bense:)

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Glad you got it working. Restarting is needed sometimes when connecting with an ethernet cable for the first time - I've usually had to do that with most of my computers, Windows and Mac.