i can no longer log in to my ibook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zimv20, Feb 21, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

been having massive problems this week w/ my ibook (g3/800, 10.3.5), including kernel panics and hung OSX logins.

i've revived it to a point: i can log into the two other accounts, Guest and root, but when i try to log into my own account, it hangs and sits at Logging In forever (i've let it run for two hours).

what i've tried/done:
    - permissions are repaired
    - NVRAM has been reset
    - DiskWarrior has been run
    - Extended hardware test was run, nothing bad was found

i reckon there's something amiss in my account config and am prepared to use the root account to delete files and folders which may be responsible. so my questions are:

1. where should i start?
    2. what should i try next?
    3. anything i've not thought of?

my last resort will be to reformat the drive and start from scratch, but i'm holding out hope i won't have to.

help?

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

if you're having THAT many problem.. do yourself a favor, use the other accounts to back up your data.. then reformat and install... you'll probably save yourself a lot of trouble in the end.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

everything's backed up. i've deauthorized iTunes and Final Draft, and unregistered the ibook from iSync. it's ready for a reformat. i just want to avoid having to do it (it's a lot of reinstalls).

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is where I'd start..

/Users/your_broken_user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
    /Users/your_broken_user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Then try and log in as your broken user..

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

aw, crap.

things have become more screwy. yellow, i was going to try your suggestion, but when i booted my ibook, the Other... account wasn't available. somehow, root user access was disabled (and i didn't turn it off).

no problem, right? i'll log in as Guest, re-enable root, become superuser in Terminal and delete the files manually. but it's not working. though i can Authenticate in Netinfo Manager using my broken login, it's not letting me Enable Root User.

argh.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, you could always boot into Single User Mode and remove the files thru there.. but sounds like these are some pretty serious (and odd) issues that removing a couple .plists isn't going to help.. but it's worth a shot.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yellow -- effing brilliant. i'm in.

and now everything's hung. argh. i may have to reformat this puppy after all. but your suggestion worked. thank you!

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

okay, **** this. still massive problems, i'm going to reformat.

any reason i should use the ibook's Software Restore CDs (which i believe is jaguar) instead of the ots Panther i've got?

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you've got full Panther installer CDs, no.. skip Jagwire and go directly for Panter.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

here's how screwed-up my ibook is...

i can't boot from CD. this happened a couple days ago, but i was able to fix it by resetting the NVRAM. didn't work this time.

grrrrrrrr..........

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

nope.

i've supressed the urge to dropkick it and am calling applecare now.

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    have u tried firewire disktarget mode, then erase and formate the volume there, then try booting from cd or even intalling using another computer

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i've not. the other day, when it wouldn't even get as far as the login screen (which is the problem at the moment, aside from the cd booting), i was able to use firewire target mode to do the backup.

then diskwarrior got me back to the login screen.

i'm thinking that if i can't boot from CD, it's something that's not on the hard drive.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Got any 3rd party RAM in there? You might want to pull it and go with what the iBook came with....

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it's apple-installed RAM.

i'm on w/ an applecare guy, he's wondering if i need _another_ logic board replacement.

17. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

update:

for $300, i can send it to apple and have them fix it, though they're not sure what the problem is. suggestions are:
    - bad RAM
    - logic board (though it passed the h/w test i ran)
    - bad cable between board and hard drive

imo, no one of those explains away all the symptoms.

the dropkick option is once again appealing.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Use memtest to accurately diagnose if the RAM is a problem.

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

unfortunately, that would require a machine i can log into. as of now, it never makes it past the grey/silver startup screen.

i think i'll look into removing the top 512 meg RAM chip, assuming it's not too hard to get to.

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

With the spinning "spoked" wheel? If that's the case, then the problem is might be the hard drive. The OS is doing an fsck at boot when you see the spinning "spoked" wheel.. if it thrashes on that, then the file structure (or hard drive) are screwy. But that wouldn't explain away all the other problems you're having. It might be RAM, but it's probably logic board.

21. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, the spoked wheel. twice this past week, i've "solved" that problem by running DiskWarrior (though i can't boot from CD anymore). but that fix lasts only a day or two.

so, yes, there might be a hard drive problem _and_ another h/w problem. or maybe it's that hard drive cable.

and wouldn't you know it, my tiny phillips screwdriver is not tiny enough to remove the screws for the cover shielding the RAM.

22. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

update: it seems to all work now

frustrated, i stuck the ibook in a drawer for about 10 days. when i tried it again, everything worked fine (though a bit slow) for a few days. then the problems started again: Mail.app hung the machine, it couldn't boot from CD.

i finally got it to boot to the panther install CD and i wiped the hard drive. i installed 10.3 and then the combined upgrade to 10.3.5, and i don't have os9 on it anymore, and....

it seems to be working great, for a couple days now. and it's fast again.

given all those symptoms it'd exhibited, i guess i'm a little surprised that it seems to all have been install/config problems.

for the moment, all seems well.