I can reformat. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Josephkyles, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    While trying to get Windows Vista to work I have messed up my partitions. When I go to bootcamp to restore to single volume it says it can't. It tells me to go to Disc Utility and and format my disc. To reformat my disc do I go to erase? If so it will not let me, everything is greyed out. If I choose Macintosh HD it will let me erase freespace but that is all. What should I do?!
  2. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
  3. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    You have to boot from the install disk. OS X won't let you do anything to the boot disk you've booted into.
  4. igucl macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2003
    Yes, the 'erase' section is where you select the format you want the drive to take.
  5. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    And once erased. Go into 'parition' and choose options. Then check it's formated the drive in GUID format otherwise you wont be able to install bootcamp.
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    From the "You Probably Already Know But Its A Good Idea To Mention It Anyways" Department: by formatting (erasing) or repartitioning a drive in Disk Utility, you will lose all programs and data on that volume