I can see the network, but no internet.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikeNM, Jun 30, 2006.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

The short and sweet.

I'm over at a friends place. She has a wireless network provided by her apartment house. Airport can see the network, but is not connected to the internet. Her Windows box can connect.

What are some reasons to cause this and any way to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How is the wireless network set up? Is AirPort connected to the network? If not and it needs a password, then try putting a dollar sign ($) in front of the password. :)

3. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

The AirPort is connected to the network, but will not connect to the internet.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay. Have you tried using the Network Setup Assistant? In the Network pane of System Preferences, it's the Assist Me button at the bottom. :)

5. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes and I've run the network diagnostics also with no luck----i'm really perplexed

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does she have some funky proxy settings? Are there some funky proxy settings on the Mac? Maybe start afresh by creating a new location on the Mac, see if that helps. :)

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Does the network require a proxy to access it?

Eh, the jew beat me too it.

Maybe check with the body corporate of the apartments (or whoever provides the network) for any particulars about accessing the network.

8. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'll check

9. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Under System Preferences > Network > Airport > TCP/IP tab, make sure "Using DHCP" is selected in the Configure IPv4 option

10. jon-chan macrumors newbie

ip address?

When you connect to the network do you get assigned an IP address? I tried to connect to a open wireless network that was MAC address filtered, and although my Airport said I was "connected", it just didn't work (no IP address was assigned). If you do get an IP address, maybe you're not receiving proper DNS server information (this happened to me before too). To check the DNS, try to type http://64.233.167.104/ into a web browser, if you can access Google at that address then you have DNS issues.

11. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Whoa, where did you get that? I have never heard of needing to add something to the password. Although, if true that might explain why I couldn't connect to the wireless at a hostel I stayed at a week ago.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, Apple has it in here but claims that it doesn't apply to newer versions of the AirPort software. For some reason, that's not quite true and a few routers still need the dollar sign before letting you join. It's a bit weird. :)