I canNOT believe it!!! This is for you iGary.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nospleen, Sep 6, 2006.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I am so proud of myself and I know iGary will be too. (he loves to tease how often I buy new macs) They released new macs today, and guess what?! I actually do not have an urge to sell my iMac and buy one! I think I may be cured of my addiction to buying new macs. I never thought this day would come, I may finally be turning into a fiscally responsible adult. :p Now if I can just stay away from my local Apple Store, I know that 24" would knock me off of my mac purchasing sobriety! :D

2. Silentwave macrumors 68000

And you call yourself an apple user.....

Mac people are NOT allowed to be fiscally responsible. How else could Apple remain profitable!;)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Wait till they release the 42" iMac - you're done for, then. :D

Did you fix the screen on your current one?

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Lol... Now that would be tough! No, I was going to. Buuuuut, that would make it too easy to sell it then! I must remain strong...:eek:

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

6. icloud macrumors 6502

wait till the new Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro's Come out...Give me strength

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've thought about whether it would be more financially responsible of me to sell my laptop every year and purchase a new MacBook, or whether to keep my MacBook for 3 years before selling it and buying a new one, and I honestly have no idea.

I think I might test it out. :D

This is what I think (in Aussie dollars and NON edu pricing):

- Purchase of new MacBook ~$1800
    - Selling price after 1 year of use ~ $1550 (with extra 1 GB stick of RAM included)

So I basically lose $250 for the sale, and $175 for the 1GB stick of RAM, or a total of around $400. After 3 years, I will have lost $1200.

If I purchase a MacBook for $1800, wait 3 years, and sell it for like $500-$600, it would cost me around $1300. That's around the same from my point of view.

I'm not trying to make you purchase more Macs, but........nah, that's what I'm trying to do. ;)

8. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Welcome to my ignore list, jk! :D

9. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Did you know thw new iMac is bigger there your apple screen? Did you know it come with 1920x 12000? Did you know you can add a lot of RAM? Did you know it comes with a 512mb graphics card?

Ops i guess i am not helping :(

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I love the smell of internal conflict in the evening... :D

Three words:

New. Mac. Smell.

11. stephenmckeague macrumors member

I bet he does

12. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I love that smell :D Will have to live without it for 2-3 years :(

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Mac purchasing sobriety? :confused:

What about plain ole sobriety. ;)

Next thing you know, you'll be lusting after a used geo metro or honda civic.

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm very impressed by your strength of will, nospleen!! You know I don't think Abstract's idea is as crazy as it sounds, I've considered it for a while, especially with the Higher Education discounts I can get. Yes you're only allowed to buy like one of each thing a year but if you sell a mac you purchased on such a discount a year later you won't actually lose that much and should be well funded for the next discounted mac you buy.
    I just sold my mac mini on eBay on Sunday night and if you factor in the printer discount (which I *still* haven't received) then I actually made a profit, even though my mini was bought the day they were released.
    Sure you would lose money if it was a year and not six months but it does make you think!!

Edit:
    That's like waving a hip flask full of whiskey under an alcoholic's nose!! Harsh!

15. fatandlazy11 macrumors member

fatandlazy11

That's true, but in those three years, the MacBook should pay for itself.

I'm an obsolete computer collecter, so maybe this is just my tendecy to hold on to things, but If you use that MacBook as your primary computer every day for three years, I think it has more then paid for itself. If you use it for internet, emailing, music some video, in three years, then if you sell it for $500, I belive you have made a profit. Use that $500 towards a new Mac :)

16. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Damn this wagon is sure looking small this morning!! MUST STAY ON! :eek:

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

18. iGary Guest

iGary

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Plus a Core 2 Duo processor and a faster video card! :D

20. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I thought we were all friends here! You do not celebrate three months of sobriety with Tequila shots!! Bastards!! :eek:

21. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Saving your funds for "one more thing" on Sept. 12th, then? :D

22. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

You mean I have to be strong for more than one week?? Man, this is tough. It was waaaay more fun just to buy everything that came out.

23. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

LOL, your bank manager must love you!! Maybe you will be able to console yourself if Apple bring out a wireless video streaming HD hub of some sorts, then you could get one of those and an HD TV and be content. :rolleyes:

I also just saw iGary's sig, gasped and laughed out loud!!

24. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I think he would love me more if I left the money in the account long enough that he could actually invest it and make some money off of it. My new years resolution was to slow down the purchasing of Apple stuff. So far, I am doing pretty well. I would like to say it is because I am finally using some self control. But, it is probably more likely because I keep thinking about my kids 529 College accounts. I can justify something that is a detriment to myself. But, I cannot for my two little ones. Now, if they get a scholarship, macbooks for all my macrumors buddies, lol.

25. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry that I offered you such temptation. :p ;) :D :)

YAY!!!!! ;) :D