I cannot boot up my MacBook Pro from CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rugbyplayer, Nov 8, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me if there's some secret to booting from a CD?
    I insert the CD (in this case Disc Warrior 4.1 for OS X, also happens with Drive Genius), hold down C during start up...I get the Apple logo, then the machine just shuts down and reboots - over and over if I keep the C down.
    Is there something else I need to do, or do I have an optical drive problem?
    MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz, duo. OS X.5.5

2. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You can only boot from the grey restore disks if I remember correctly, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. macrumors regular

is the disk clean and fairly scratch free?

try holding down the option key at boot instead of C

either method should work and may take a bit of time for it to load up properly, upto roughly 10 minutes for the boot up sequence to go through.

But try option as a second resort.

also try resetting the PRAM and SMC ... could be miscommunicating somewhere , otherwise try with your install disks to see if they load up, if so maybe need to create a new DW4.1.1 disk
    otherwise try to go into system preferences and select the DVD drive as the start up drive instead.

hope these help

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Its a brand new disc, right out of the box. I tried all your suggestions but none work.
    The option key solution gave me the two start up disc options, but when I selected the CD, it ignored it and booted from the HD.
    The original OS X Leopard disc was recognized and the MacBook booted up from it, but I'm really wary about re-installing anything from that disc. I'm not that technical, and I just can afford to lose stuff.

5. Moderator emeritus

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/requirements.html

6. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I'm not familiar with Disk Warrior but it seems clear that you must boot from Leopard OS X using the aforementioned 'c-key.'

7. macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just to add one note to what Blue Velvet posted, when you read the linked material if you look closely they have a link in it as to how to use DW with a system that the disk cannot boot successfully. Easy to overlook that so just wanted to mention it.

8. macrumors newbie

Did you find a solution?

Hello Rugbyplayer,

Did you (or anybody else) find a solition for this problem? I am having exact the same problem. I can not start from any disk, tried it from Leopard, iDisk, etc. Te machine just shuts down and reboots - over and over ....

Thank you in Advance!!!

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Start up from CD

Hi, Thomasnatal:

I did eventually overcome the problem, but I can't really tell you how, as it was through some random, frustrated, combination of holding down certain keys on start up. I think I held the "C", the control key and the option key for quite q while through the apple logo stage etc., but I couldn't swear to it.
    The usual rookie, non-tech solution!
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

10. macrumors newbie

Hello Rugbyplayer,

Thank you for your answer. It is really a frustrating situation. I will try to press the "right keys". Wish me luck!

Thank you again,

Thomas

11. macrumors newbie

If MacBook Pro wont start

I had a problem where my Macbook Pro would not start. All that would happen was that it went to a grey screen with the apple in the background and the circle swirling.
    After many hours of frustration, I pressed SHIFT and COMMAND and V during the start-up and it finally worked! Pressing 'shift' and 'command' and 'v' is the equivalent to the safe boot in Mac, and it worked. I hope this helps people who cannot start up their Macbook Pros.
    Max uses cheap hardware, and I will never purchase a mac again.

12. macrumors newbie

cookies4all

Ok , this is my first post, but...

You do know this thread is very old, right?

13. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Don't worry, he's just a troll (look at the last line). He's wrong too, only the Shift key prompts Safe Mode, Command and V simply trigger Verbose mode, which allows you to see the system prompts as the computer boots (in a text-based layout).

jW

14. macrumors newbie

cookies4all

Oh, I should have read more carefully. :eek: And it seems he only joined to post that.