Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rugbyplayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Can anyone tell me if there's some secret to booting from a CD?
I insert the CD (in this case Disc Warrior 4.1 for OS X, also happens with Drive Genius), hold down C during start up...I get the Apple logo, then the machine just shuts down and reboots - over and over if I keep the C down.
Is there something else I need to do, or do I have an optical drive problem?
MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz, duo. OS X.5.5

Catch Them

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Can anyone tell me if there's some secret to booting from a CD?
I insert the CD (in this case Disc Warrior 4.1 for OS X, also happens with Drive Genius), hold down C during start up...I get the Apple logo, then the machine just shuts down and reboots - over and over if I keep the C down.
Is there something else I need to do, or do I have an optical drive problem?
MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz, duo. OS X.5.5

is the disk clean and fairly scratch free?

try holding down the option key at boot instead of C

either method should work and may take a bit of time for it to load up properly, upto roughly 10 minutes for the boot up sequence to go through.

But try option as a second resort.

also try resetting the PRAM and SMC ... could be miscommunicating somewhere , otherwise try with your install disks to see if they load up, if so maybe need to create a new DW4.1.1 disk
otherwise try to go into system preferences and select the DVD drive as the start up drive instead.

hope these help

Rugbyplayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks for your reply. Its a brand new disc, right out of the box. I tried all your suggestions but none work.
The option key solution gave me the two start up disc options, but when I selected the CD, it ignored it and booted from the HD.
The original OS X Leopard disc was recognized and the MacBook booted up from it, but I'm really wary about re-installing anything from that disc. I'm not that technical, and I just can afford to lose stuff.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I'm not familiar with Disk Warrior but it seems clear that you must boot from Leopard OS X using the aforementioned 'c-key.'

Thomasnatal

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
Did you find a solution?

Hello Rugbyplayer,

Did you (or anybody else) find a solition for this problem? I am having exact the same problem. I can not start from any disk, tried it from Leopard, iDisk, etc. Te machine just shuts down and reboots - over and over ....

Thank you in Advance!!!

Rugbyplayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Start up from CD

Hi, Thomasnatal:

I did eventually overcome the problem, but I can't really tell you how, as it was through some random, frustrated, combination of holding down certain keys on start up. I think I held the "C", the control key and the option key for quite q while through the apple logo stage etc., but I couldn't swear to it.
The usual rookie, non-tech solution!
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thomasnatal

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
Hello Rugbyplayer,

Thank you for your answer. It is really a frustrating situation. I will try to press the "right keys". Wish me luck!

Thank you again,

Thomas

macbokpro

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
If MacBook Pro wont start

I had a problem where my Macbook Pro would not start. All that would happen was that it went to a grey screen with the apple in the background and the circle swirling.
After many hours of frustration, I pressed SHIFT and COMMAND and V during the start-up and it finally worked! Pressing 'shift' and 'command' and 'v' is the equivalent to the safe boot in Mac, and it worked. I hope this helps people who cannot start up their Macbook Pros.
Max uses cheap hardware, and I will never purchase a mac again.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Don't worry, he's just a troll (look at the last line). He's wrong too, only the Shift key prompts Safe Mode, Command and V simply trigger Verbose mode, which allows you to see the system prompts as the computer boots (in a text-based layout).

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.