I can't afford the Ipad2, any other tablet recommendations?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by phatjoe, Nov 22, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Feb 28, 2008

I know everything out there is 2nd rate to the ipad2, but I can't afford it right now. I'm also not interested in the original ipad...just seems dated.

I noticed that the going rate for the HP touchpad is about $180. Is it worth it at that price point of $180?

I just plan on using it for surfing the web, reading e-books, etc. I’m just looking for something cheap to mess around with, play with it for a couple of months, and probably end up selling it… you know how it is…

Any other recommendations, besides the hp touchpad?? I'd consider a 7" screen as well, but hoping to spend under $300.

I know this forum is biased towards apple stuff, but you guys tend to very knowledgeable about other products as well.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2010
    Definitely the Nook Tablet. And then when ICS rom comes out, load that up and you'll have one awesome beast of a tablet for a good price.

Alternatively, look around on craigslist for a cheap 1st Gen. iPad, which IMHO if you don't care that it isn't new you'll love the most.
  3. macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2007
    You can try to pickup the Asus Transformer tablet from Best Buy on Black Friday for $249 (I believe). I would definitely buy an android device over the Touchpad. Also there are other deals going on for other tablets as well on Black Friday.
  4. macrumors 68030

Jun 11, 2011
    How about a use iPad 1 or a refurbished iPad 1?
  5. macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    i'd say the new kindle fire.....and you guys obviously didn't see the part where he said he's NOT interested in the original iPad.
  6. macrumors 68020

Nov 3, 2008
    The Fire is a decent product for only $200 (i own both Fire and iPad 2). But honestly, with a $300 budget and a desire for an iPad 2 then the iPad 1 isn't something you should just brush aside. Its a solid machine and still is being supported by Apple updates.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2011
    Honestly, I'd save up for an iPad rather than waste money on most of the others. The only ones I'd consider are the nook and the Fire. Save now, and when the 3 is introduced you'll be able to get a used 2 plus some left over for apps.
  8. macrumors 68040

Jul 28, 2007
    Try to get the Playbook (if you can find one these days) RIM just launched a cough cough (fire sale for the public). RIM calls its a promo but any one can see it as a firesale.

$199 for 16GB model. Playbooks just were not selling at the $499 price. Rim just finally gave up this past week and officially discounting to $199/299 (16/32gb models. )

Heck they even had special 64gb ones that quickly sold out at bestbuy for the super low price of $229.

I own an iPad 2, playbook and briefly owned a Touchpad and Xoom.

Obviously love the iPad 2. But I actually carry the Playbook with me everyday to work these days. You really need to try one with all the updated software because many of the store display models are running older software.

Sure it's missing native email and calendars apps (supposedly the long delayed os2.0 will finally be released in Feb according to the last official playbook blog).
    Android player finally supported in OS 2.0 release. Official 2.0 will have email and calendar.

Playbook has outstanding flash support (for those who need it). I was able to stream illegal nfl network broncos jets game last Thursday on my playbook. Can't do that on an iPad 2.

Speakers and camera on playbook are outstanding.

Personally I wouldn't buy any non iPad 2 for more than $300. You have a lot of choices.

RIM has gone on record to keep supporting QNX (blackberry next gen operating system playbook is base on). Rim is trying to rename their system BBx.
  9. macrumors 603

Mar 22, 2010
  10. macrumors 68000

Jan 10, 2008
    Save up. $300 isn't too far away from an iPad. You can save until the iPad 3 comes out.
  11. macrumors G4

Feb 5, 2009
    Just start saving.

As of now there aren't really any viable alternatives.

You could always see for yourself, though, and maybe try an Asus or whatever else. Just keep the receipt for when you'll be returning it.
  12. macrumors demi-god

Jun 9, 2007
    Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    For $300, you can get something decent, fast and with apps.

As ZDNet put it, why not get a 7" HTC Flyer for $299 instead of something far less capable?

It's got a very nice looking UI, with really nice widgets.

Later, you could also treat yourself to its optional active pen.

I love mine, and I paid a lot more than $300.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2010
  14. macrumors 6502a

Oct 2, 2011
    Give me a break. "There aren't really any viable alternatives" when the OP specifically stated that all he wants to do is "surf the web, read e-books, etc."? Really?

There are PLENTY of "viable alternatives", whether they're running iOS or Android or something else. Quit being such a biased fanboy.
  15. macrumors G4

Feb 5, 2009
    He'll end up wanting the iPad when it's all said and done. If it's just a matter of money he'll likely save for it.

He's already consigned everything else to 2nd rate status, by his own admission. I don't think he really wants to be stuck with 2nd rate.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Oct 2, 2011
    If he doesn't want to be stuck with 2nd rate why did he start this thread in the first place?? By his own admission he can't afford an iPad2 right now, has $300 to spend, and asked for recommendations. Doesn't sound like he's written everything else off like you have.
  17. macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2010
  18. macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Los Angeles Area
    Save 200 bucks for an iPad 2. The fluidness on it is sick.
  19. macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    I personally think the next best thing to an iPad 2 is an iPad 1. Everything else, in my opinion, offers much less functionality to the point where you begin to ask yourself if it's even worth it.
  20. macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    As much as I hate the design of the Nook, I think it'll run great with ICS. The Kindle Fire looks cooler, though.

Hire some better designers, B&N! ;)

Didn't answer OP's question at his price point.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Jan 5, 2010
    Southern Cali
    ^I think he did. He basically said if not an iPad 2 he'd rather have an iPad 1 as everything else isn't worth the $200. I share the same feeling. Id rather have an iPad 1 over any nook or fire or whatever the alternatives are.
  22. macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    Pretty much what I was [trying] to get at. Just was a suggestion to consider the iPad 1, which for some reason the OP automatically ruled out.

Plus, you can find first gens for under $300 too, used. $399 Apple refurbished.
  23. secksthoi, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

macrumors member

Oct 7, 2010
    Personally, I wouldn't brush off the original iPad. It's affordable and kind of brings you into the Apple/iPad ecosystem. Then, once you can afford whatever new iPad is out, all you have to do is sync and 'boom' everything is there where you left it.

I find it more dated transferring files and contacts from one system to the next. Brings me to remember, does anyone remember the old days of excitement and hassle of buying a new dumbphone and spending like a good hour re-adding contacts? :p

Edit: But I totally get, you wanna just get your hands wet with a tablet. I was the same with the original iPad when I sold it a few months after. With that, seems like the Fire is pretty cool with Amazon only going to get better, probably.
  24. macrumors 65816

Feb 29, 2008
  25. macrumors member

Aug 5, 2011
    Save some money and get the ipad 2. If you can't go for the nook tablet. I tried out a kindle fire this weekend and I wasn't impressed at all. I'm going to pick up a nook tablet next week as a christmas gift.