I can't beleive those free iPod sites actually work

Discussion in 'Community' started by johnbro23, Mar 21, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

A friend told me about this site, (I can't post links I'm pretty sure its not allowed) that says you can win a free iPod Shuffle if you sign up for a free offer (like a free trial period of AOL) and get 3 friends to do the same. I was skeptical of this at first, but read up on it and found out that the company was actually legit. My iPod just came last week, and I'm lovin it. Now I'm going for a free iPod mini.

Has anyone else gotten a free iPod from one of these sites?

PS: Don't post links here, I don't think they're allowed.

2. brap macrumors 68000

OK...

Prove it. Photos of the iPod and the correspondence you got with it. Talk is cheap.

3. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's a pic of my iPod with your post behind it. Sorry the quality is bad, its w/ my camera phone.

EDIT: I'm trying to figure out how I can prove it was actually free and I didn't just buy it. Hmm... :confused:

Attached Files:

4. aplasticspork macrumors regular

and i can't believe it's not butter!!!
    (first thing that popped into my head)

seriously though, there is a distinct lack of believing on the part of the spork
    --andrzej

5. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

My friend is proof enough. He did this over the last summer (June-Aug '04), and by October he finally got his 4th Gen iPod. The back does have the "freeiPod.com" crap engraved on it, but otherwise it is a plain-jane Apple iPod.

Now...he does have some unsuspecting friends who would sign up for this, but then again, he was the one that FINALLY switched to firefox just this past fall, when he "read it in the paper [Washington Post]" that he should switch. He's no C|Net.com reader, but he's that much more in the know than his friends.

6. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

For what its worth... the email I got saying it shipped:

johnbro23@spymac.com, your iPod shuffle 512MB has been shipped! Please allow 10 business days for delivery.

Shipping: UPS GROUND
    Tracking #: XXXX06W00374419732

In order to protect the privacy of our company and its employees,
    please take note of the following:

DO NOT post any company information.
    This includes shipping, billing, and/or credit card information.

DO NOT scan and post packing slip information.

Please understand our privacy is important and we reserve the right to enforce this accordingly.

Enjoy your free gifts!

Best Regards,
    OfferCentric Member Services

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Here's a recent San Francisco Chronicle article -- Free iPod -- um, not really

This one sucks it's 6 paid offers you have to sign up for at least 8 weeks... past most of the 30day free trials. :rolleyes:

8. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I just read that today actually. Pretty interesting. They did say good things about the Gratis Network, the company that gave me my iPod.

All I did was sign up for eFax and cancel within 2 days and I was done. It was incredibly easy. They don't spam you, like this site they're talking about in this article. Well, at least they haven't spammed me yet.

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

While Gratis has a better internet "buzz" they have also been accused of "privacy violations" by TRUSTe

Which sounded bad because of who they tell you to report to, even though they won't tell you what they did.

11. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well they aren't spamming me. And my friend who referred me says he's never been spammed. Anyways, even if you do get a spam email or two, its a small price to pay for a free ipod :cool:

12. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was this a friend or just some random person online? It looks like she took a lot of time to put together that web page.

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

My friend has a free ipod - his dad got it for him but then he looked on the back and saw an engraved *********.com and knew his dad just did the free ipods thing...

But he comes to school w/ his 4G iPod daily and listens to it - and I come w/ my 3G iPod (which I like better!)

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I get at least one or two of these offers every day. I have found that free means a lot of catches. Don't happen to have friends that I could use to gave away their E.Mail, or I wouldn't if I did such a thing. The offers that are required to choose at least one, are usually of no interest.

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It's a pyramid scheme. Eventually the offer will fold and the people supporting the top levels will be denied an iPod.

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just more free advertising for them... if I somehow ended up with something like that, I think I'd have to do the old "wire brush your iPod" treatment and scour the engraving off.

Just remember: TANSTAAFL. They ain't giving away iPods for their health.

17. iGary Guest

iGary

I can't believe I actually took out my own hard-earned money and paid for mine.

</sarcasm> :rolleyes:

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The sites

Have to send out atleast some 'free' iPods so people can come to MacRumors and tell everyone 'HOLY C--P! I GOT A FREE iPOD!'.

If not no one is going to believe the site and no one would want to sign up.

They are using friends and the people who actually get one to spread the site throughout the mac universe.

19. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

is that the thing where you turn the iPods "mirror metal" into "brushed metal" like Apple's PM or Mac mini or PBook?

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah. I didn't get anything engraved on my iPod because it pretty much prevents you from ever selling the thing to someone else when you upgrade (as will inevitably happen).

21. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

it's one of the site's creators - www.the-gadgeteer.com they do reviews of new gadgets, on their own and by guest writers. when i first got into pda's, this was one of the best sites i'd found for reviews. i've been following this site for several years and have even contributed a couple of reviews. me = geek! :eek:

marianne

22. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Don't forget all the advertising money these site make. No telling how much a flat fee just being listed in the offers section cost - but they probably get a bonus from which ever company gets someone to sign up. it's like if you get 10 people to buy something for $40 when the something only cost the freesomething.com people $20 - so you made them $200 profit - and they send you a $100 gift. Something like that

23. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was figuring those sites make a ton of money, just from all the people that don't get the 5 people to sign up under them. They didn't make any money off of me thats for sure :)

24. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Well, all I can say is congrats on actually getting the free shuffel, and thanks for being a decent person and not posting a link trying to get us all to sign up. :)