I can't believe it's not....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mim, Dec 4, 2006.

1. mim macrumors 6502

Ok, I usually just read here these days and leave all the posting to the youngun's, but I had to share this with you all.

The lease term on my G4 Powerbook is coming to an end, so I finally stopped dithering, rang up Flexirent and upgraded to a new shiny Intel Mac. Being an architect it can be a pain sometimes not being able to run the Windows only software that our industry usually uses, so I thought if I was getting a new machine anyway, I'd go for a proper workstation...mac pro. There was 1 in the referb section - a stock 2.66, 1Gb ram, 250Gb HD which worked out at about $800 cheaper than new, so I put my order in on that...I couldn't really afford the 'new' one let alone add in upgraded specs, and that looked like a pretty damn good deal anyway.

It arrived at lunch today. I opened the box - it was obviously a referb...torn packaging, disks opened, no iLife disk, etc - but the machine looked perfectly fine. Turned it on...booted fine...filled in the registration...desktop came up. Great! On a whim I ran System Profiler, just to make sure the ram and procs were all working, and....

...HOLY BATMAN PLAYING WITH BUNNIES AND HANDING OUT CHOCOLATE CHAINSAW'S
    ...those beautiful people at Apple had sent me a quad 3Ghz, 2Gb ram, 500Gb drive! :eek:

I wasn't sure if I should post this or not - I really don't want it to be a mistake and have them ask for it back - but jeeze...I HAD to tell someone! I am soooooo stoked you wouldn't believe. And to top it all off I got a bonus from work today.

Happy Christmas guys :)

2. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

EXCELLENT!
    I just got a refurb nano. They put the nano in the box and forgot everything else (no earphones, no usb cable). Took a couple of painful days to get the other parts sent. Seems the christmas party may have already started in apple au dispatch. Enjoy it!

3. dcv macrumors G3

...Butter?

Wow, I've heard of some people receiving refurbs with an extra RAM stick, but in your case it sounds like almost everything was bumped up a little. Nice one!

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

The refurb store is like a beautiful, beautiful lottery.

you hit the jackpot. :D

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Looks like the ghost of Christmas past smiled on you. :)

Congratulations on a fantastick system!

6. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

wow

And I thought I was happy when my refurb powerbook arrived and all the pretty white cords were still in their little baggies and the box was original.

Nice, very nice. (Now shush, before the Apple refurb police hear you!) ;)

7. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Crap on a stick..that IS Awesome! Congrats...

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

:D

Twas also my initial though.

That's really awesome mim! Hopefully they don't realise their mistake and make you send it back or pay more for it.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not a mistake. It's the way their refurb policy works...they always ship you what you purchased *or* something better, based on available stock. It was a BTO machine that someone bought that got sent to refurb sales and since it was there, they gave it to you... So you don't have to feel guilty. Lucky is fine, though. ;) Enjoy!

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Congratulations!

That was a very pleasant surprise I reckon :)

If only we had a Refurbished store in Denmark heh

13. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

That is the funniest thing i have ever seen on MR. but wow. the refurbs are like the lottery.

14. spooks99 macrumors newbie

Do the physical Apple Stores have refurbs? I live within easy metro distance to two stores, and shipping to my apartment is risky. I would love to just pick one up, hold it in my hands, gaze worshipfully at it... If they do have refurbs, would they let me take a look at it before I buy it? I'm torn between a CD refurb macbook and a C2D (I wouldn't be buying for a few months). The hard drive and RAM are my main concerns, not so much the processor. From all these posts, I keep thinking maybe I might hit the refurb lottery and get a CD with upgraded HDD and RAM. Obviously I can't count on that, but maybe I could check it out beforehand, see if it has any extras?

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think physical Apple stores mostly have units that are display units that get slashed down and maybe local returns that for whatever reason can be re-sold without being refurbed... I don't think they have refurbished models. But that's just my memory of the last time I went to one?

16. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

17. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

18. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

19. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's a great deal...but please don't buy one under the assumption that everybody gets surprises like this... you are very likely to get simply exactly what you ordered. At a great price. And in great condition. Which is a great deal in itself. But not every unit (or even most units) are surprise upgrades.

21. Jopling macrumors 6502

22. mim thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing special there I'm afraid. That would have been a real score.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Heh thats nearly £1000 for free. I am envious, enjoy the Mac :).

24. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Congrats, too! I know someone from another board who got a PowerMac Quad G5 delivered to his door, but he never ordered one. Must've been a mix up since he's a regular Apple Store customer. When he posted his good fortune, other board members ripped into him so hard citing he was immoral for keeping it. It was funny to read.

I've never bought a refurb from Apple as they only just begun offering refurbs at the Canadian Apple Store. Hope to have your same kind of luck... :)

25. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne