I can't believe what an Apple guy had just told me.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 66217, Nov 3, 2006.

1. 66217 Guest

I am having problems while surfing the internet, it has like a lag time to show pages (from 3 to 10 seconds: sometimes this does not happens).

So I call Applecare and ask for help. The guy tells me to wait a second, that he would check with someone else about the problem. After 1 min he returns and tells me that this lag is normal. That in contrast with Windows, OS X is slower in loading web-pages. But I know this can't be true, can it?

So if anyone knows a fix for this I would appreciate any help. The lag is really annoying:(

Thanks,

Roco

2. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

On certain web-pages (e.g. Weather.com) I have a HUGE lag on my iMac G4 1Ghz/1GB RAM/OS10.3.9

On my 1.67Ghz/2GB/OS10.4.3 Powerbook, I have almost no lag.

What computer are you on?, and what OS version etc? Which websites in particular?

3. 66217 thread starter Guest

It's a Black Macbook. 1.25 gb Ram. Yes, I have also noticed that weather.com is specially slow. But it would also happen with apple.com or google.com. Which I think are very stable pages. I have version 10.4.8.

I am not sure if I messed with some settings (or even if 10.4.8 could have changed something), because I am certain that it has not been like this always.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

5. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Are you using Safari? If you are, for starters, try Firefox (www.getfirefox.com)

Also, do you experience this with every connection you use? For example, are you on a wireless network, and if you are, have you tried it on a different wireless network at somewhere like a coffee shop etc.

And if you ARE on a wireless network, first check to see if you joined the correct network and not your neighbors or something, and then try plugging directly into your router and see if that excels the speed.

If you only notice the lag on your home network, then unplug your router and modem (or just the modem if thats all you have) and leave them unplugged for about a minute, and then replug them in.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

No he isn't, he's very wrong. I find web browsing on my MBP a much better, faster and safer experience than on my Dell. In terms of complex pages like myspace pages, which can be very processor intensive to 'decode', my MBP runs in circles around my P4 windows machine...

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

What's the big deal about firefox. I know Safari isn't always the zippiest, but is firefox that great?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW. Often this kind of long lag seems to be a DNS issue, and has been solved by switching to using other DNS servers... I guess some DNS servers are less compatible with Macs, or the Mac is dealing with them differently....

EDIT: Link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=234121

B

9. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Firefox the best!! Well version 2.0 that is. But it's currently only on Windows. I think it's the browser you are using. I'm using Firefox and notice loading page much faster and smoother.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Um...Firefox 2.0 is out for Mac.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes :D In my opinion at least, at first it doesn't seem so great, but then after a few days, you can't switch back

12. 66217 thread starter Guest

What I don't like about Firefox is the way is displays the buttons. Like the ones in Google that say "Google Search" or "I am Feeling Lucky". In safari they are like round, in Firefox they are a square.

13. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

14. rob5 macrumors regular

get camino - developed only for OSX but uses firefox's engine and (IMO) much better.

15. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

I'm another Firefox user and it is one great browser

16. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't use Onyx after it deleted my spotlight tags.

18. JAT macrumors 603

Who is your ISP? Qwest is notorious for bad DNS servers, as are some others. I've changed all of my computers to some Verizon DNS servers and the lag is gone.

19. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Here in Northridge CA Timewarner is king of the internet:( and there is a big lag between EVERY PAGE. sometimes there is no lag, but sometimes there are lags all the time. Especially using firefox 2.0. Safari surprisingly was the one working fastest... but even then that could mean sitting there waiting up to a minute for a webpage... I get mad and just click reload but no luck either...

EDIT: Anyone know of any other DSL/Cable/Fiber optic ISPs for me? Fiber optic is my dreaming...
    I think my biggest problem is everyone in the dorms and their brothers! are using time warners DSL which has to be the reason its killing it. But even then this MBP seems to be slower than neighbors...