I can't copy and paste on my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sandrasccr, Jan 11, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2012
    Its been a problem for about a week now and since i have finals/school project due next week i need this fixed asap.

Its a new mac ( i got it in september). Im mad that this has happened. can anyone help me?
  2. macrumors 6502

Dec 14, 2011
    how could you not copy/paste?

just select what you want to copy > cmd + c > cmd + v ?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2012
    that doesn't work.. it only works if i want to paste into finder but it doesn't work in word or on webpages.
  4. macrumors 68040

Nov 6, 2008
    The most populated city in the planet
    What are you trying to copy and paste? If cmd + c or cmd + v isn't working, have you tried right clicking and then selecting copy, and then paste?
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2012
    Usually just like a paragraph of words or a weblink, I've also tried graphs and tables.

Thats not working either neither is clicking edit then cut/copy/paste
  6. macrumors 68000

Mar 20, 2009
    Near London, UK.
    I appreciate its a week since this has been happening, but have you rebooted?
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2012
    i just did a whole system reboot and reinstalled some software and it worked.
  8. macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2011
    I Can't Copy or Paste either

Yikes... I'm having this same thing happen. I mainly use copy and paste in Final Cut Pro X and over the last few days it has been happening... that is a HUGE inconvenience not to be able to use copy + paste in that program... but today I tried using it in the Finder (to copy an icon from one folder to another) and it doesn't work. It says the copy function is available (and looks to be copying to the clipboard) but once I "copy" it there is no paste option available.

It does seem to be working in Safari and Word.

What programs did you use to get this to start working again? What programs were you using that it wouldn't work in? Thanks for your help.