I can't empty my trash using cmmd+shift+delete

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by hesdeadjim, Feb 11, 2003.

1. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Every time I try to empty my trash using cmmd+shift+delete, it doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem before? Thanks for your help.

Just so you know, I'm using a Powerbook 800 MHz with OS 10.2.3. I have not had this problem until recently, so it has worked before.

2. hesdeadjim thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that it might be this Applications Enhancer Module that I just installed, but I disabled it at login and still couldn't empty the trash that way. I am going to repair permissions and see if that helps.

3. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I tried while reading your post, it didn't work. Then I clicked on the trash icon which opened in a finder window and tried again. It worked with the finder window opened displaying the trash directory.

4. hesdeadjim thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that, nothing. I tried it after repairing permissions, nothing. Sorry, it's just frustrating that it doens't work because that is how I usually do it. I guess old habbits die hard.

5. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

thats exactly what happened when i tried.

6. hesdeadjim thread starter macrumors regular

I still can't get it to work. I'm glad others have had similar problems. Maybe it is 10.2.3. I'll contact Apple to see if there is any bug reports on it.

7. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

this might be a supid question, but isn't it the backspace key and not the delete key?

btw, it won't work for me either, but I think in previous versions, OS9 at least it was "backspace"

8. Bear macrumors G3

It is Apple-Shift-Delete. The one proviso is that the finder has to be the foreground task. If you're in Netscape or some other application, it doesn't work.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Macs dont have a backspace key :)
    (That key, that would be a backspace on a PC keyboard, is the key that you use though)

10. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

ok, it might be that I have a logitech keyboard that has both mac and pc markings on it. Thanks for "enlightening" me.

11. hesdeadjim thread starter macrumors regular

Command+shift+delete is the same as Apple+shift+delete. The Apple key is the command key. It took me a while to figure this out too, so it's OK if you didn't know.

Nevertheless, it still doesn't work when the Finder is in the foreground.

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i am in 10.2.4, and this worked perfectly; i didn't have a finder window open, even, just had it active. so maybe 10.2.4 fixes your problem.

13. Bear macrumors G3

I know that Apple and Command are the same key. It was more of a confirmation for those who were asking if it was delete or backspace or whatever key combination.

As a side note, Apple has a decent reference of Mac OS X keyboard shotcuts in Knowledge Base article #75459.

14. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

well, i may have found something, my original keyboard (the one before the pro ones) works fine, but my logitech keyboard only works half way, meaning, the RIGHT shift key won't let it work, but the LEFT shift works fine. Weird huh?
    It works for typing (though I am left handed and always use the left shift key) but not for emptying trash. Weird huh? Its probably a logitech driver issue.

15. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

this is why apple won't clone on its hardware lol.