I can't find an IM client that works with my internet connection...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Voidness, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

... and it's very frustrating, especially after 8 months of using my iBook as my main machine.

I've been looking for an IM client (mainly for using MSN) that works behind a school proxy/firewall, because it's my only internet connection. I've tried using almost everything that I'm aware of (Microsoft Messenger, Adium, Fire, aMSN, Proteus, and others), and they all don't work. Previously, older versions of MSN Messenger for Windows also didn’t work, but since version 6, it works fine.

So any ideas?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Why not call the network admin and find out what settings you need to tweak in order to use an IM program. It may well be they block access, in which case you'll need to use one of the online versions. Or it may be they can tell you what settings to use and solve your problem.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Try changing the port. In the preferences just change the port number to anything else. That is how I got around my AIM problem.

4. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Try Adium and use the "HTTP Connect method", under MSN preferences. This enabled me to use MSN behind a firewall. Apparently, the Windows version of MSN Messenger switches over to HTTP connect automatically, whereas the Mac version of MSN Messenger does not implement it. Adium and I believe aMSN too, implement it but don't use it automatically if the regular method fails. Hope this helps.

5. Voidness thread starter macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I tried that before with no luck (and I just tried it now too).

I would try that if I knew which ports are used by MSN on Windows. I tried to figure them out from netstat on Windows, i tried all the ports that seem to connect to MSN servers, but none of them worked.

But if the Windows version of MSN works, there must be a way to make it work on my Mac. If nothing helps at all, I might try to contact the network admins.

6. rebhaf macrumors member

Years ago I was trying to use AIM at work and my company's firewall was blocking it. I'm really tech-stupid, so I just called AOL (that was my provider then) and one of their support people walked me through what to do, step by step. Worked fine after that.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That is what I'm talking about. Change to any random port. It's worth a shot.
    The known ports for MSN are probably blocked.

8. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

You could always use a web based client like e-messanger. I haven't used thier MSN webclient (as I don't have an MSN account) but thier AIM one works well. (Just to note I did have some trouble using e-messanger with Safari(it kept crashing Safari), though it worked perfectly with Netscape and Camino).

9. Voidness thread starter macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Yeah, I tried using random ports too, didn't work. :(

I'm aware of that site, but I don't really trust them with my account (call me paranoid). But right now I'm using one of my MSN accounts just to try it out.

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I would just call the tech nerds for your school, and ask them to help you - there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to use an instant messsenging client.

11. Voidness thread starter macrumors 6502a

Voidness