I can't get into my G4 mac! HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by sophia_sugah, Apr 14, 2004.

1. sophia_sugah macrumors newbie

I have a G4 mac, it's not panther its jaguar, but i need some help and im hoping somebody will know something! I havnt had any problems with it until now. When i turned it on the other day it started up, got to the loading screen (grey with a clock and apple logo) and then didnt change. Ive tried all sorts but it just sticks at the loading screen and doesent boot up fully. I've been staring at a grey screen with a clock ticking round and round for over a week now. I need the computer for my work so i really need to sort this, does anybody know whats happening with my mac? I'm getting worried :(

2. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

hold down apple-v when you power up, and tell me how far it gets.

3. sophia_sugah thread starter macrumors newbie

help!

Iv tried that and its saying something about - mach_init failed, errno 2. Do you know what that means? :confused:

4. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Thats not good. init is the first process ran after the kernal starts, methinks. Try booting off you install disks.

5. sophia_sugah thread starter macrumors newbie

confused.

By the way, Ive thought that if i can't get it back, maybe i would need to reinstall jaguar? :confused: Just as a test i put the cd in the drive, it didnt attempt to reinstall. I'm still completely lost, i would appreciate any help, thanx.

6. sophia_sugah thread starter macrumors newbie

Iv tried pressing C when powering up, apparantly that boots from cd, no response though.

7. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

no response from booting from cd? it still hangs?

8. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

9. sophia_sugah thread starter macrumors newbie

10. sophia_sugah thread starter macrumors newbie

Havnt tried that, found it, il try it n get bac 2 you.

11. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Well if your hardware test cd dosn't boot when you hold C, then there is something hardware wrong... I am not sure if i can help. any one else.

I am not sure is it c or apple-c....?

12. sophia_sugah thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, the hardware test passed on all counts. So, no problems there. I think that the problem is that the jaguar upgrade cd is not the original. Iv booted up with the 10.1 original version, that works fine, il install from there. I think its all sorted. Thanks for the help.