I can't get my iPhone out of recovery mode!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by orkyz!, Sep 5, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I have had my jailbroken iPhone 4 for about a year now, and it had been running smoothly until it just got stuck on recovery mode yesterday. I tried the hold power button and home button thingy but it didn't work. I tried tiny umbrella and it didn't work. iTunes doesn't even recognise my phone's name! It doesn't give me an option for me to restore from a backup! I tried restoring but even that failed. It says The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1013).
    Please help!

2. macrumors newbie

Fulaeetoy

Your current firmware? Last thing you do when your phone goes to recovery mode?

3. macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

This is why I don't jailbreak. :rolleyes:

Other than checking you've got the latest version of iTunes and trying a restore, I think you might be out of options.

4. macrumors member

If you're on a Mac, do the following:

Open Terminal
    Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" without quotes, of course
    Type in your password
    Put a # in front of the IP addresses for gs.apple.com
    Press CTRL + O to save and then CTRL + X to exit

Now, restore your iPhone.

5. thread starter macrumors member

I'm not on a mac :(
    I updated iTunes and tried to restore my iPhone again but it didn't work.

6. macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Easy then, Applecare.

Oh, wait.. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors member

Not sure what you were doing when it went into recovery mode as you didn't include that in your post but I recently had this issue and was able to fix it with tinyumbrella recovery loop fix :

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Download it from there.

It may give you an error when you try and run it depending on if you are on mac or pc and such. The error will say you are missing a zlib.dll file. You can download that from here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?zlib1

I didn't trust saving directly into my system folder but you have to put it directly in the same folder as the program that needs it (after unzip) and it should run then because the program will try and locate this dll on its own.

This worked for me getting out of recovery and itunes wouldnt let me restore.

8. macrumors newbie

Thank You

ManBearWaffle your solution was the only thing that worked for me Thank You
    :):):):):):)

----------

Thank you so much

9. macrumors newbie

---------

What password did you insert? the one of your Mac or your iphone's password???? :(

----------

---------

I did everything but when y try to CTRL + X (to exit) the window doesn't close. =( I don't know what to do!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

10. macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

If you are stuck in Recovery loop you should try the recovery loop fix in redsn0w. And if that don't work try the one in iREB.

11. macrumors regular

This worked for me. My sons 4 battery died so I ordered one from Amazon but when I installed it the thing was on recovery mode. I guess from me holding power and home so many times to see if it would boot up before I figured out the battery was gone. Anyway I downloaded Tinyumbrella and kicked it right out of recovery mode. Thanks for the post.