i can't install OS 10!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by thetree, Feb 24, 2003.

1. thetree macrumors newbie

I bought Mac OS X version 10.2 jaguar. I'm running 9.2.2.
    -----
    i put the CD in, click the install icon, and my computer restarts.
    it does read the CD as the start-up disk. (no problem yet)
    the OS 10 apple-startup-thing shows up, and the thing spins on the bottom.
    ( here is the problem)
    after that this screne shows up and it tells me that i need to restart my computer. so i do, but it keeps on going to the same screen.
    either the CD is messed up or my computer is.
    -well i know my computer is messed up, thats why i got os 10, because i thought that would fix it. but i can't even intall it.

all i really want to do is burn CD's but iTunes isn't working, it did, but it stoped, reinstalling the 9.2.2 up date used to make it work, but now it seems like nothing will get it to work, (it say CD burner or softwear not found, so it seems my computer doesn't know how to read my burner, but i could before.) and toast tells me that it can't detect a burner, but that didn't work even when iTunes did.

i've installed and updated (9.2.1 updated to 9.2.2) a new system folder and that doesn't fix any thing.

can any one help me!!!!

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Re: i can't install OS 10!!!

Maybe you should try totally erasing the Hard Drive. Also, have you updated your firmware? That could be your problem. Try looking at the Apple Knowledge Forums to see if this is a known problem.

3. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

hdd

Sounds like fried components to me. Most likely you need a new hard drive. Luckily, those are cheap now. 40gig desktop drives for something like $80, for a quality drive. And if the machine is a few years old, it will probably be faster too; 7200rpm vs 5400.

What is the machine in question?

Previous post regarding firmware is solid advice.

4. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

cant install...

if you are on OS 9, go to start up disks in Control panels folder, wait for OS X to appear, it always takes a couple of seconds after being selected, if OS X doesnt start do the following, restart your computer and press Command+O
    it will give you a screen to select from the volumes it has installed, if OS X is not present it has not installed. Check firmware update (follow instructions as much as possible w/ firmware cause its tricky) and read about the PRAM. hope it works.

5. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Quote:

Sounds like fried components to me. Most likely you need a new hard drive. Luckily, those are cheap now. 40gig desktop drives for something like $80, for a quality drive. And if the machine is a few years old, it will probably be faster too; 7200rpm vs 5400.

What is the machine in question?

Previous post regarding firmware is solid advice.

Hard drive will only goes as fast as the bus allows... 99% chance is that a faster rpm rate will do nothing...

Sorry

6. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Try zapping PRAM. Likely your HD is fine... especially since you're booting off a CD. I donno what that other guy is talking about "fried components" for...

Zap PRAM and update firmware. That should be all the general voodoo troubleshooting you need.

7. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Truth. But a 5400rpm drive will not max out a 100MHz bus. Neither will a 7200rpm, but it will be closer. Not to mention a heck of a lot more storage space.

8. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Agreed. A 7200 would be faster.

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

What Mac is it? On occassion, my TiBook has "lost" the HD. It does not even see it as existing. Resetting the PRAM brought it back into existence, and in perfect working order.

10. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

it says "g4 desktop" in his profile. So it should meet all the requirements. Most likely there is a firmware update for it, if it hasn't been applied allready.
    Now this screen that is telling you to restart your machine, does it have a big power logo behind it? If it does, that is what we call a kernel panic. That would mean that there is something seriously wrong with either your computer or your CD.
    Try swapping out ram, then removing any extra PCI cards that you have added to the system. As some are just plain not compatible with X.

I suggest to take it to your local mac shop, and tell them what is going on, bringing your copy of OS X with you. Ask them if they can try a different copy of the installer, to see if it is the cd or not. If it isn't that, most likely you need the firmware update, have bad ram (10 is more picky than 9), or possibly a bad component that OSX does not like.

11. thetree thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for the advice,
    i restarted th Pram and that didn't change any thing.
    the only update i don't have is Airport and iPod, and i don't use either.
    i already did the firmware update, a long time ago :(

and the screen that tells me to restart does have a big power logo behind it. i did add a video card, could that effect it??.

how do i swap out RAM????:confused:

i'm going to try a new CD once i get out to the store.

if you know a way to get my burner to work please let me know.

thanx.

12. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

This means that you are booting into 10, but something is causing it to crash.. After you try a new install disk, and if that does not work, I would suggest you have the people at in the shop look at it if possible.