I Can't Join My Friend's Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bali Cockfight, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Bali Cockfight macrumors regular

I am at my friend's house and I can't join their wireless network. I have a PowerBook G4 with airport card and he has a Dell with a wireless router 2WIRE658 with no password. He tells me he had someone set it up and he doesn't know anything about computers except he uses it to surf the net.

I turn on my Airport and choose his network. I type in 'admin' for the password and then I get a full signal, but when I try to open Safari, it tells me I am not connected to the internet. How can I get a signal but not be able to get on the internet? I don't know where to begin. Thanks in advance because I am stumped beyond belief.

2. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Is the access control (wireless card access) on?
    Go into the router and check. If it is, put in your mac address.
    Or just turn off the feature.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Why are you typing in admin for the password if there is no password?

Connect to his router and check for a Wireless MAC Filter. If it's on, add your Airport MAC address to the allow list.

4. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Type it's IP address into the web browser on a connected/working machine. I'm guessing it's http://192.168.1.1 or something like that?

6. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

How do I find the IP address? I went to IP chicken and received an IP address, but when I put it into the web browser, it just sent me to a search site

7. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

1. What router do you have?
    2. Do you have a manual to the router?
    3. Try http://192.168.0.1

8. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

It's a 2WIRE from SBC and my friend doesnt know where he has the manual.

9. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

The following is the message I get in System Preferences:

"Airport is connected to the network 2WIRE658. Airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I have a 2WIRE at home, and my iBook didn't connect first off. I had to create a new 'location' and fudge with the settings - took a call to Apple to figure out.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This means that although the 'book has found and attached to the wireless successfully, it has not received an IP address from the router (and likely not a DNS server setting either).

You can either manually input the data (look at your buddies machine and enter all the same infromation from TCPIP: Properties EXCEPT make your manual IP address for the machine different from his by one digit -- so if his machine is 192.168.1.101 make yours 192.168.1.102

OR you can configure his router to act a DHCP server to give you the numbers. It may already be set that way, and your 'Book has the wrong address in the Router/Gateway address field in Network. Enter the IP address of his router here then, 192.168.1.1 would be typical but each manufacturer has a different default -- which is why buddy there is going to have to shift himself to get his manuals and understand WTH his network is doing.

12. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

the router can be set to change how many times it will give out the ip address, i dont know how to change it, but there definitely is a way. try restarting the router while you're friends computer is off/not connected to the wireless, and then try to connect. if you can connect, then the problem would be what i previously described.

13. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

I am not familiar with Windows machines, so how do I find my friend's information from TCPIP?

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

On XP/2K/NT run "ipconfig /all" from a command window i.e. "Start -> Run -> CMD"

B

15. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I seriously doubt this is a DHCP issue, but more likely a "MAC Address Filter" or as said earlier an "Access Control." You need to get into the router setup page and add the MAC address of your computers wifi card to allow yourself to use the router.

If the page doesn't show you the MAC address to easily add yourself, you can find this information in the Network:Airport section. It will be at the bottom of the window.

So, once you find out your friend's IP, dont manually input one into your network settings. Rather, change the address around. For instance, if his IP is 192.168.1.101, then type into your web browser http://192.168.1.1; the last number being the important one. This should bring you to the router page and allow you to change the settings you need.

16. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

the password is the little serial number off the modem if im correct...