I cant save my itunes library list

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LionsKiss, Dec 30, 2006.

1. LionsKiss macrumors member

I get this error:
    The iTunes Library File cannot be saved. you do not have enough access privileges for this operation.

Any tips what to do?:(

2. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

When are you seeing the error? Do you have the library located someplace other than the default location?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. LionsKiss thread starter macrumors member

Running Mac OS X...(on macbook...so dont worry....nothing pirated)

It is in default place (/users/username/Music

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try navigating into the iTunes folder, and finding the library files (they're right on the first level, e.g. /users/(you)/music/iTunes/ ). Select the files and get info, and at the bottom, it should be set to:

Owner can read/write
    Group can read
    Others can read

See if changing those to the correct settings help?

6. LionsKiss thread starter macrumors member

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're not very verbal, are you? :rolleyes:

It would help more if you could be more detailed in your responses. It's like we're doing all the work here, and you can't even be bothered to clearly explain what your problem is.

First, is your situation that you have iTunes running, and it refuses to quit because of this error, and you've kept it open because you're worried about this? Or is it that iTunes refuses to open?

Second, are you trying to change the permissions of the library file while iTunes is running, or while it is not running?

Third, if you want to delete the file, have you tried it while iTunes is not running and after making sure that the permissions are as described in my post? If that doesn't work, what is the error? And who is listed as the owner of the file in the info for the file?

8. LionsKiss thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking it was a bit short my reply.

I checked the permissions of the folder while itunes was closed and I changed it accordingly. (I even gave everyone the rights to Write)

However, I can not delete the folder or the libraries at all (...of course iTunes is shut off...as wouldnt it cause a conflict if I try to delete a file that is being used by a program?)

Thx for the help guys...

Happy New year(soonish)