Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Ok i just installed the Western Digital 200GB 8 MB buffer drive onto my ATA-66 controller on a DDR Power Mac. For some reason disk utilty is recognizing the drive and has it at 186GB and change but i dont see the icon my desktop.

What am i doing wrong here?

Tyler

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by edesignuk
Does the drive have a formatted partition on it?

actually i simply went to disk utility and erased the clean drive and named it and then the drive icon poped up.

so for anyone curious the DDR Power macs can hold more than 137GB drives and read them properly on either controller. My 200GB turned into 186.29GB which im not about to complain about.

Now bring on a serial ata 1TB drives so i can really store my audio/video.

Tyler

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
My 200GB turned into 186.29GB
That's because HD makers have decided to call 1MB 1,000 KB, not 1024 KB as it actually is. Doesn't make much diff to smaller drives, but now drives are becoming so large, the difference is quite noticeable.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Beej
That's because HD makers have decided to call 1MB 1,000 KB, not 1024 KB as it actually is.

Don't forget the directory information (a dramatic oversimplification), which also increases with drive size-- on a 200gb drive, directory info would be approx. 4.68gb if i'm not mistaken...

that one's inevitable, drive makers notwithstanding...

btw, love the new 'tar, beej!

:)
pnw

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Beej
That's because HD makers have decided to call 1MB 1,000 KB, not 1024 KB as it actually is. Doesn't make much diff to smaller drives, but now drives are becoming so large, the difference is quite noticeable.

ok guys i'm fully aware of what % you loose when the drive is formatted. If you re-read my post I said that i have nothing to complain about.

The point is that DDr powermacs can handle Jumbo drives in both ATA 66 & 100 connectors.

Go Mac!!!!!!!!

Tyler

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by TyleRomeo

ok guys i'm fully aware of what % you loose when the drive is formatted. If you re-read my post I said that i have nothing to complain about.

The point is that DDr powermacs can handle Jumbo drives in both ATA 66 & 100 connectors.

Go Mac!!!!!!!!

Tyler

It looks like you have a lot about which to be happy too! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.