I can't see some podcasts from iTunes to delete them!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wolfpup, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'm having a similar problem to ncfcstar, but not quite the same (maybe), hence, new thread.

I just got my "5G+" iPod yesterday. All the podcasts that were in iTunes copied over fine. However, podcasts I had copied out of iTunes (because I didn’t have an iPod for a while) and then dragged back on to the iPod don’t show up in the iPod’s Podcast menu-you have to select Podcast as a genre.

That’s not too big of a deal, as in the future I won’t be copying anything out of iTunes prior to transferring it to my iPod.

The REAL problem is that now iTunes can’t see those “rogue” podcasts on my iPod! They don’t show up under “Podcasts”, and they don’t show up under “Music”!

As near as I can tell, I have no way to delete those podcasts from my iPod!

Any suggestions?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Create a smart playlist:
    Picture 1.png

It's a bug in iTunes 7, this is a workaround.

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh wow! Thank you! That seems to solve half the problem.

I can see my "rogue" podcasts, but it won't let me delete them from the playlist.

I tried changing the genre of one of them, thinking if I did that, they might start showing up in the "music" section where I can delete them, but that dosen't work.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You can try Advanced->Convert ID3 Tags, and set the version really low on those tracks. With luck, that will clear the bookmarkable trait and remove their "podcastness".

5. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

That's a really great suggestion, but unfortunatly that's not working either. I've tried setting it to 1.0, none, etc., changing genres, etc. I can't even get it to drop out of the smart playlist.

It won't lose it's podcastyness! :eek:

Any other ideas?

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Okay, with the changes to the ID3 made, does it make any difference if you then quit and restart iTunes? You may also try deleting the smart playlist and making a new one.

As a last resort, you can Ctrl-click on the tracks and Show in Finder. I believe that you'll find the tracks filed under an "unknown podcast" folder. You could just delete that by hand.

7. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I'm sure you know you can't delete anything from a smart playlist (since it's smart). But if you press the option key while deleting, it will remove the items from the library.

8. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

I tried manually deleting a file, but it dosen't remove it from the iPod's database :(

Well, thanks for all your help iMeowbot! I think I'm going to just listen to the rest of my podcasts that are still on there, and then do a complete wipe and start over, making sure to never copy a podcast out of iTunes and then back in.

I'm pretty surprised to run across a bug this big in Apple software :(

9. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Did you mean that method WOULD let you delete from a smart playlist?

Is there an equivalent in Windows? (I'm switching back to a Mac when the rev b MacBooks, but on Windows right now.)

10. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

You can't change the playlist as such, but you can delete the items contained in the playlist from the library (it will move them to the trash).

Beats me, I don't have a PC at hand. ;) Why don't you try Shift, Cmd, etc. one after the other, let's say, with one file first?

11. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

That's the whole problem, I can't access these from the library. That's why iMeowbot had the idea to access them through a smart playlist, except you can't delete that way :(

I'm just going to finish off all my current podcasts and do a wipe/restore on my iPod and start over.

12. cam-o-flage20 macrumors newbie

I found a fix!
    go into the smart playlist you created, select all your rogue podcasts, right click -> get info -> and change media kind to music (it's what i did) and click ok.
    They should now show up in your music folder just waiting for you to delete their asses :D

Thank you to the people in this thread for helping with the fix, i only did the final step

PS. sorry about being 5 and a half years late :p

13. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030