I can't shut my PB, advice

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by captain stubing, Aug 10, 2004.

1. captain stubing macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2003
    north east
    when ever I try and shut my Rev. A 12" PB, the lid will not click shut. I have to manually stick a paper clip in the latch on top to pop out the clip, then the book will shut. This happens 8/10 times. Small dog says it would cost 129 for the part then 4 hours of labor at $89 per hour, which is nearing $500 for a latch fix, nearly 1/2 of the total cost of the book in the first place. Are they crazy, or am I up the creek here? Any suggestions, or similar experiences? Thanks!
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    4 hours to change a clip!?!?!?

I can change the entire screen on a Thinkpad in 10 minutes FFS, are they out of their minds :confused:
  3. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2004
    MN / IN
    Maybe the latch is sticking inside of its housing because it's dirty or has gotten gummed up by oil from human handling - perhaps you can find a way to clean it using a cotton swab and some alcohol? I don't have any specific experience with this, but sometimes little things like that stop working because they get dirty.

Good luck, I hope I'm of some help
  4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    I thought I remembered reading something about this a while back... The guy ended up VERY CAREFULLY bending the latch a certain way after he pulled it out, and it caused it to operate properly again. I don't remember if it was towards him, or towards the other way, but I imagine it was just a little tiny bit either way.

Lee Tom
  5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    Just make sure it is actually that part. I had an iBook Dual USB that wouldn't close, but it was because the glue at the bottom of the screen had gone bad and the bezel was popping out and creating too much pressure for the latch to hold against.
  6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    Smalldog is out of thier minds!!!

You're in the northeast US, perhaps take it to an Apple Store?
  7. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    did you try tapping behind the place where the latch is supposed to come out?

mine gets "stuck" once in a while, but gentle taps over the area while the lid is closed always brings out the latch no problem.