Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captain stubing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
north east
when ever I try and shut my Rev. A 12" PB, the lid will not click shut. I have to manually stick a paper clip in the latch on top to pop out the clip, then the book will shut. This happens 8/10 times. Small dog says it would cost 129 for the part then 4 hours of labor at $89 per hour, which is nearing $500 for a latch fix, nearly 1/2 of the total cost of the book in the first place. Are they crazy, or am I up the creek here? Any suggestions, or similar experiences? Thanks!

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
Maybe the latch is sticking inside of its housing because it's dirty or has gotten gummed up by oil from human handling - perhaps you can find a way to clean it using a cotton swab and some alcohol? I don't have any specific experience with this, but sometimes little things like that stop working because they get dirty.

Good luck, I hope I'm of some help

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I thought I remembered reading something about this a while back... The guy ended up VERY CAREFULLY bending the latch a certain way after he pulled it out, and it caused it to operate properly again. I don't remember if it was towards him, or towards the other way, but I imagine it was just a little tiny bit either way.

Lee Tom

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Just make sure it is actually that part. I had an iBook Dual USB that wouldn't close, but it was because the glue at the bottom of the screen had gone bad and the bezel was popping out and creating too much pressure for the latch to hold against.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
did you try tapping behind the place where the latch is supposed to come out?

mine gets "stuck" once in a while, but gentle taps over the area while the lid is closed always brings out the latch no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.