I cant text people without iMessage. Urgent Help Needed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Plasmaxyz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I am trying to text someone who has an iPhone 3gs and is on a firmware 4.x.x. Whenever i try to text him it says "(phone number) is not registered with iMessage" and i cant hit send after i type out my message. I tried disabling iMessage in settings, but when i go back to the Messages app it want me to set it up again and i cant just say no. I am on an iPhone 4, 5.0.1 jailbroken.

Please help.

2. macrumors 68000

tell that person to download IOS5

3. lordofthereef, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Are you sending the text to his number or his email? If you answer number, are you SURE it's his number (iMessage uses numbers and/or email, if that wasn't clear)? Lastly, are you able to send normal texts to anyone else.

Also, go to Settings>Messages, and then see if "Send as SMS" is ON. THat is what will allow you to bypass iMessage if iMessage isn't allowing receipt.

4. macrumors 68030

5. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

This isn't the answer. He should still be able to send standard texts to iOS devices without them having to have iOS5 installed.

6. macrumors 65816

chaos86

Did he ever upgrade his 3Gs to iOS5? If so, it's serial number was registered with Apple as a device that could recieve iMessages, and I don't know how he'd get himself off that list

7. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Exactly, my friend lost her 4 running iOS 5 and went back to her 3G...does it make sense that I simply wouldn't be able to text her without her having iOS 5 installed?

8. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Even so, the information I posted above should get around this. That's why the option is there, in case that happens.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have that option. I took some screencaps that might help.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Very strange. Belopw is an image of what mine looks like. Maybe try turning iMessage on and then off? Also, your "receive at" is there a phone number there, or just email? I have my phone number and my email there. Make sure there is a phone number there, at the very least.

[​IMG]

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

I may have figured out the problem, I just put my iPhone into safe mode and went into messages and everything was there that was in your picture and I was able to send the text.

I'm guessing I should restore my phone then?

12. macrumors 68030

13. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

You can try, although I am not sure why safe mode would bring up MORE options than running in standard. Do you have any jailbreak texting apps that might be conflicting here?