I click 'print' but the print screen stays. Help :(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mach1andy, Jan 22, 2007.

1. mach1andy macrumors regular

I upgraded my emac from 10.3.9 to 10.4.8 and now when i go to Print anything, I get a print dialogue as usual, but when I click the print button nothing happens. The screen stays there... it doesn't execute. The printer does nothing the screen pretends like I didn't do anything. Do you know what could be causing this?

I did a repair permissions from Tiger disc as well as reset the printer preferences and re-added the one i wish to use. The printer is good because it works with my iMac...

Aye?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Whenever you ask for help with a peripheral, you need to state the make and model of your peripheral. In this case, which model printer do you have? The print driver for certain printers did not survive the transition for MacOS X 10.3 to MacOS X 10.4. The manufacturers released new drivers for some models but not for others. For the latter, there may be an available CUPS driver from Gutenprint or The Linux Foundation.

3. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

Good point...

Good observation... sorry about the non-specifics...

Its an emac 1.0 ghz G4 running 10.4.8 and trying to print with a Canon z500e.

It worked great before with 10.3.9 and my other computer, an imac G5 with 10.4.8 prints on it as well. How can I tell how old the driver is on the emac? In Windoze I seem to recall an area where you can see how old the drivers are...

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Did you erase the hard drive and do a clean install with 10.4.8? If so, you might have erased the Canon drivers too. Try reinstalling the drivers and report back here.