I constantly use command-H

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gary King, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Ever since I got my Mac, i've been constantly using command-H to get rid of something. For me, command-H is the equivalent to Minimizing windows on Windows XP. (since minimizing in Mac adds one more item to the dock).

Is this a common practice? Or is there something better?

Also, is there something equivalent to WinKey+D, which shows the Desktop on Windows?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Try Expose's F11. Also, play with F9 and F10. Expose can be your friend. And is way better than anything Windows has to offer.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I just hold down the option key while selecting another app. That'll also hide the current app. I like hiding my apps as well.

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I use Expose.

I only use COMMAND-H on special occasions... ;)

6. Sogo macrumors 6502

Oh dude, I use the hide option a lot as well. I namely use it because i like to have my desktop clean, but i also use all forms of expose when needed.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's reasonably common practice. It usually seems to me that hidden apps take up slightly less CPU/RAM than ones that are just minimised.

I tend to open things like iPhoto/iCal/Address Book fairly soon after I restart my Mac and then keep them hidden rather than just minimised. Means they don't clutter anything up but are still instantly accessible.

8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Command+H.. making me look like I'm doing work instead of reading MacRumors :)

Beside we've got 10.2.8 installed at work so no Exposé for us.

9. efoto macrumors 68030

Other than iPhoto which closes when you close the window, iCal and Address Book are still open and when you click them they are 'instantly' accessible just by clicking arent' they? I could be wrong, more of a question than a comment I guess.

I have to say I never really use Hide at all, simply because Expose cleans things up to my liking and being able to clear the desktop (F11) negates the purpose of minimizing IMO, since stacked apps don't bother me.

10. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I was looking for this exact thing the other day. I have 5 mouse buttons, and I wanted one of them to hide the current app.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

HAHAHA my Logitech MX500 has 8 buttons!! :D

Also try playing with F12. Great key ;)

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Something better to achieve what?

I don't normally hide windows, as with most apps just closing windows will achieve the same thing. Either approach will give you the same result, so it's just a personal preference. To rotate between open apps I use command-tab, by holding down the command key it's also possible to quit or hide apps using this method.

13. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I use both Command + H and Option Clicking and H combined with Option + Tab app switching.

Why? In some apps Command + H does something else :(

Option clicking is an old heritage from classic when you wanted to navigate deep into your folders and didn't want tons of finder windows open :cool:

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Yeah and I do that too. It just depends what view I'm looking at in iCal or whatever. Opening a new window would bring it up with today's week/month and sometimes I'll have been working a month or two in advance. Hiding that means that I can get directly back to that page in the Address Book/iCal without having to navigate my way through again from the default setting.

15. efoto macrumors 68030

Interesting, I didn't know that. Nice to know that you can still learn new things daily :)

Since reading this I have tried it more for the sake of trying it than actual usefulness, but it is fun and I like the hazed icon in the dock, yet another 'neat' little feature to show the windows crowd.

16. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Another tip with Expose

I have a powerbook so for the expose keys I have to also have to hold down the option key or something. So instead I have the top left hand corner of my screen set as a hot corner to show me all windows. I have the bottom right of the screen set to desktop which clears the desktop. Its great, especially if u have a powerbook/iBook and your not using a 5 button mouse.

17. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Since you say you use it at work, tell us what you do?

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That doesn't sound right. I know the PowerBooks have different keys, but my iBook works without needing the option key. That is, apart from Dashboard (F12) which I changed through the System Preferences to F8. :)

19. efoto macrumors 68030

Doesn't sound right to me either. I have a PowerBook and my Expose keys are I believe the standard designations of F9, F10, and F11. I only have to hit a single key to perform the action, no combinations. You can change the settings for that however so perhaps either you changed them and forgot, some changed them for you, or there is too much alcohol involved and your keys are just fine ;)

20. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I think he's right, you need to use the function keys to activate exposé on a powerbook.

This might only be on the new ones though. Their F9 10 and 11 keys have to do with the backlight on the keyboard.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

You need the Function key for F9 and F10. F11 and F12 works fine.

Since the only 'built-in' Powerbook function keys I use on a regular basis are the volume/brightness and I use them far less that I use Expose, I changed my settings so I have to hold down Fn to change volume/brightness but Expose just works.

22. efoto macrumors 68030

I could be confused, who am I kidding I am confused, but my brightness and volume keys do not fall in the places you speak of.

On my Rev.D 12" PB I have brightness -/+ at F1/F2, mute on F3, volume -/+ on F4/F5, num lock on F6, and monitor switch (I assume) on F7. F8-F12 are blank for secondary function at least according to printed images.

I am probably missing someone's point or something, but for me a single push of F9 gives the all-apps Expose feature...and F10/F11 their respect Expose features as well.

23. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

F9 and F10 on the 15" & 17" Powerbooks control the brightness of the backlit keyboard

24. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Sorry I mentioned that the keys are taken for the backlight. And I don't think you can get a backlit keyboard on the 12 inch. So you're f 9 10 and 11 keys should be blank.

25. efoto macrumors 68030

That would explain it. Between you and Applespider, I now understand why I was confused :), thanks.