Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zoranius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
So I was browsing the internet and my MBA 2013' died. The screen turned black and I couldn't turn it off or on for over 40 minutes. I have no clue what happened and why it did what it did but I'm worried. Does anyone have any idea why it happened? My MBA is about a month old and I got it from school.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So I was browsing the internet and my MBA 2013' died. The screen turned black and I couldn't turn it off or on for over 40 minutes. I have no clue what happened and why it did what it did but I'm worried. Does anyone have any idea why it happened? My MBA is about a month old and I got it from school.

Were you running on battery when it died? Then plugged it into the wall? I had this problem once where I ran the battery down in my 2009 MacBook Pro and until it charged up to a certain point it wouldn't let me turn it back on. Just a thought....

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^That's the most plausible explanation - But 40 mins. is an awfully long time:eek:

Lou

Zoranius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Were you running on battery when it died? Then plugged it into the wall? I had this problem once where I ran the battery down in my 2009 MacBook Pro and until it charged up to a certain point it wouldn't let me turn it back on. Just a thought....

I was just browsing like normal and then my Macbook turned black. I tried to press every button on it but nothing worked. I plugged my charger into the macbook and it worked fine, but I wasn't able to turn it on while it charged. I waited 40 minutes and it turned on and had 97 % battery. I don't think it had low battery though before it died..

^^^^That's the most plausible explanation - But 40 mins. is an awfully long time:eek:

Lou

It didn't turn on for at least 20 minutes so I was scared and decided to try again after 40 minutes and it worked.

Must be solar flare! :D

Did it feel very warm at the time?

No.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

was it too hot?
was it too cold?

when it turned back on did it boot up or come back from sleep/hibernation?

did you hear a "click" when it turned off?
or when you say it "turned black" does that mean just the screen turned off or the whole machine did?

you got it from school - meaning you bought it from your school bookstore or it was issued to you?
in other words are you eligible to take it to an apple store?
is it actually only a month old?

Zoranius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
was it too hot?
was it too cold?

when it turned back on did it boot up or come back from sleep/hibernation?

did you hear a "click" when it turned off?
or when you say it "turned black" does that mean just the screen turned off or the whole machine did?

you got it from school - meaning you bought it from your school bookstore or it was issued to you?
in other words are you eligible to take it to an apple store?
is it actually only a month old?

No, it was normal. It was a little bit warm but not hot or cold in any way. My window was open though, maybe that's the problem?

Hm.. I know that once it died I tried to shut it off or turn it on, so when it started it was like it had been completely shut off the whole time.

I don't remember hearing any particular sounds. It just turned black and that's it.

Our school gave it to us. I don't know how old it is but I am the first student ever to use it so it's brand new for me. The school had to put programs like Keynote etc on it first before we got it though.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
is it still doing it?
if so, tomorrow, bring it to your school's IT guy and he can fix it or send it to apple.

netvis

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Maybe you reduced your screen brightness (on your keyboard) to zero by accident?
Happened to me a few times. It looked like the display died since it didn't response to anything I tried until I tried increasing brightness on the keyboard.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom

It will give you a diagnostic report of your macbook air's hardware to make sure everything is correct and running how it should, if it isn't it will tell you and you can then take it Apple and tell you what the diagnostics report said, even though they would probably run another one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.