I could've gotten a wii yesterday! Too bad I'm a PS3 fan!

Discussion in 'Games' started by aholden12592, Nov 10, 2006.

1. aholden12592 macrumors regular

So i was on Ebgames.com yesterday checking the online preorder status for the PS3. It said the usual "Online preorder info coming soon". So just browsing around i looked under the wii section and i saw the headline "Wii Bundle Pack!!" SO i clicked on it and it brought me to a checkout screen and stuff. Because I didn't want a wii i chuckled and closed the browser. 1 hour later i checked back and the headline was gone and the website said online preorders ended. If i was a wii fan then that would've been a lucky day. Too bad I just want a PS3:D :D . BTW this is not intended to be a nintendo vs. sony thread. I think they're both great consoles. I just like PS3 more.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You wouldn't have got it. It was probably just a glitch in the website and once discovered they would've cancelled your order.

From the title you suggest you could've actually got a Wii yesterday, not "the chance to possibly purchase one online" if you could've got the Wii yesterday then the best idea would be to sell it on eBay for squillions and put that cash towards saving for a PS3.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I think it was a legitimate sale, but it didn't last long.

Nintendo's gonna make a bundle this holiday season. They've got the hype, the margins, and enough units to follow through. More power to 'em.

4. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

It was legit. EB Games and GameStop were sending out warning e-mails Tuesday about it. I considered it non-news because the bundle is absurd... 700$?

A second remote.
    6 games, 3 from EA.
    An overpriced 1GB SD card.
    A forced 1-year replacement plan on a console that already has a one-year warranty.

700$. No thanks.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

In their defense, the game selection was pretty choice.

6. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

But broke down after the first 3, really... Yes, Zelda, Red Steel, and Trauma Center are probably good choices... but then it breaks down after that with titles that they want to sell, but their best shot at selling them is to shove them in a bundle. Kinda reminds me of the ad sheet saying that the hot titles for the PS3 were Gundam and Ridge Racer.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Well, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is good fun. Super Monkey Ball looks (and, from early word, is) fantastic, and I've heard nothing but praise for Madden 2007. It's not like they're saddling you with Happy Feet.

8. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Yes, it could be worse... but I can always bring up another argument: Why bundle 6 games, when that is way beyond what the target market for the Wii will actually use or want, outside a few? ;)

The thing is, the bundle is beyond what I would actually purchase, simply because it pillages the wallet, and leaves me with not much to show for it in terms of equal value. Even if I consider all 6 games to be a good value, the replacement plan and the SD card shove the price up too far.

The problem is that this bundle is a bundle for the sake of trying to get you to buy more than you want, because the Wii is a rare item. US consumerism
    at its worst... that alone should be enough to repulse someone like me from buying them.

Then again, I already have my 'bundle' pre-ordered... for less, and has better value to me personally. To each his own.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I agree with you there, totally. It's a money grab. I want a Wii, but I'm planning on getting two or three games max to begin with.

The bundle is a way for Gamespot to ENSURE that whoever buys their system is a hard-core gamer who's also going to pad their profits with a bunch of goodies, rather than someone who's going to come in, buy the system, and walk out. They know they'll sell the units regardless and the bundle guarantees that they'll send a lot of software and other stuff along with it.

This isn't even addressing the fact that it's feeding on people's eagerness to get ahold of the system by any means possible.

So, I agree with you that the bundling itself is an annoyance, but I would also say that, as far as bundles go, it could have been much worse.