I created the new account to stay safe, and now....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Invizzible, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

Ok, I'd been following the threads about that "virus" that can infect OS X if you download it and double click on it. The prevailing advice was to create a new account which would be the admin. account, and switch the regular account to a non admin. account. So I did that. Then, I seemed to have lost write priviledges on two of my three internal hard drives. When I clicked "Get Info" for them, the 'Ownership and Permissions' drop down menu was greyed out. And for a while, when I would try to copy a file to either of the hard drives, I got prompted for my admin password. So then I switched my main account back to an admin. account and was still getting prompted for the password. Now suddenly, the two hard drives still have the 'Ownership and Permissions' drop down menu greyed out, but I can copy files to either hard drive w/out getting prompted for the password. Anyone got any ideas about this? Seems pretty weird to me. I tried repairing permissions, but nothing changed. I don't understand why I still can't use that drop down menu. BTW, I'm using Panther 10.3.9.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Is there a little lock symbol you can click under the Details section?

3. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

What happened is that before you made the admin account all the permissions were for you. so what you have to do, as the admin change the persion in the info window to the person you want to have permission. I did the same as you, and I want all my system secure from standard user, and everything else for admin. I had to go though my apps folder, and change the own to admin, and group to system. If you look at the installed app they are owned by the system.

4. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular