i did a bad thing to quick time

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fallacy, Sep 21, 2006.

1. fallacy macrumors member

I just got the update and all of a sudden a few shows I was used to watching were not watchable anymore.. instead I had a green screen for my trouble. After reading several posts on how to uninstall something, I dragged quicktime to the trash and all it's corresponding files into the trash. There seems to be a area in "systems preferences" that still has quicktime and can't be unistalled. So now when I try to reinstall my old copy of quicktime, the installation takes me right to the point where it asks to pick the hard drive and then tells me "a never version of this software is already installed". Can somebody help me uninstall this bad boy, so I can reinstall my older copy of quicktime?

-Removed all files via spotlight, deleted apps the only place left on my mac with "quicktime is in sys preferences." thx in advance guys this is gona be a tough one i think..

2. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Search for and download an app called "App Zapper". It isn't free, but has a free trial period. Drag the app you want gone into app zapper and it will find and remove all associated files.

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I think the file you'd be looking for is the quicktimepreferencespane.app (or something along those lines, not sure of the actual title, on my windows partition atm) . if you find that file via spotlight and trash it, that should get rid of it.

4. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

thx guys... i actually did nuke everything found in spotlight and i'm still getting the same error message..

5. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

THis is completely retarded.. I have tried to "uninstall" quicktime from my mac with no success for the past 2 and a half hours. I have done a spotlight search and even removed files from my hard drive that weren't actually detected with spotlight and still it's telling me i have a "newer" version..

is there a registry equivalent in macs?

Completely pissed off that i've wasted this much time on something so trivial. Please help.

Thx.

6. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

I think ITUNES has now also been damaged.. WTF is going on? Is this normal? You kill one app and the rest get killed also?

7. lostless macrumors 6502

Itunes will be damaged when quicktime is gone, since itunes relies on quicktime to play. The only iption i have for you is to pop in your osx disc, and do a backup and reinstall of osx. What that does, is that it backs up your old os into a folder and creates a new one. All your data will remain. If everything seems fine, you can just trash the old old os folder. just remember to reinstall any drivers or pluggins you had.

8. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

Damn.. I was hoping that wasn't the solution.. is there not a way to just reinstall those 2 apps without going to such extremes? And is reinstalling the OS similar to a windows box ? Just answer logically at the screens and it will install?

9. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

problem solved

A bit extreme in my opinion, but at least reinstalling the OS was pretty simple. A bit longer then I thought it would take, but pretty automated.. itunes and quicktime work once again.

thx for the help.

10. kyleaa macrumors regular

Yes, it is a bit extreme, but so is trashing a critical system app and anything else on the hard drive containing the name. If you aren't sure what you are trashing, its a pretty safe bet you should back it up before you empty the trash.

Glad everything works now :)

11. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

I'd hardly call quicktime a critical system app, nor any of it's associated components. It's an app. I use it to watch movies. WHy apple would embed quicktime within the OS is stupid. It seems pretty microsoft of them actually. They also have done that with IE and OE.

Anyway, I'm all better now, just had to respond to what was obviously a condescending post.

12. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Quicktime is not embeded into the OS like Windows Media is. Its just that a lot of other apps require quicktime to be able to function properly i.e iTunes, Safari and whatever else plays video/audio. On a side note, why didn't you just download the latest version of quicktimes off Apple's site?

13. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

I did actually update to the new quicktime.. that's exactly what started this whole thread. I called Apple and they told me it was embedded in the OS... so when I tried to put the disc in to use the customizable feature it wasn't there..

14. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Oh ok, I misread your original post. You were trying to reinstall an older version of quicktime. Sorry:p BTW, what kind of videos went green screen on you?

15. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

I'm quite sure all you have to do is remove the package receipt which you will find in /Library/Receipts/QuickTime713.pkg (or whatever version you installed).

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

QuickTime is not just the movie/audio player application, it's also a framework that other applications (all the iLife apps, plus Finder, and loads of 3rd party apps) can use to play media. You can delete QuickTime Player with no repercussions, but the QT framework is VERY IMPORTANT.