I did good!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Canerican, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Canerican macrumors regular

OK this is a long story. I bought a MacBook in July (the cheapest one), and it failed terribly in October, so they gave me a new one. Then yesterday, I went to the Mac store because my HDD failed. So the manager decided that since I have already had to get a Mac replaced, and since they had no HDD's in stock, that they would outright replace my Mac, with a core2 duo!

They also let me upgrade to the better one, and gave me the $100 education discount (I had already gotten the $50 discount on the first one) So I got a good Mac for $50 less, and got it brand new, and another fresh warrenty.

I got to say, it was a good day!

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

4. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

That's Great. Now try that with Dell and see what you get

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

:p

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

They let you upgrade to the better one, meaning the T7200??

Anyways, wow! that is awesome! I hope my experiences with Apple will be like that in the future.

8. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

Correct. I guess they decided that I had been to the Mac store over 5 times for repairs, and they wanted to make it up to me. Mega dittos to them for that... speaking of dittos, time to listen to the Rush Limbaugh show. See ya! :D

9. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I'm as big of a mac fan as everyone else, but it would suffice to say that Dell would do the exact same thing Dell did. They did it with a kid who lives right next to me (dorm).

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, my fiance has never had any problems with Dell's support when he's needed something replaced.

Really, though, with as big as Dell is, it's easy for them to just send ya a new one and keep ya happy.. would probably be more to them to devote the time to giving you a runaround or trying to fix your stuff.. especially if they've gone that route with you already.

11. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

But would you get an upgrade, discount, and new warentee?:p

12. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Yes, most likely. It happened with the kid who lives next to me. But I'm sure it doesn't happen 100 percent of the time, so you did do very well with Apple. Enjoy your shiny new toy...ahem...productivity machine. :)

13. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

it wasn't that long...

15. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

I was going to delete, but it did take 5 months. So it was long for me :p .

16. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Actually, yes, I've heard of your exact scenario happening to someone with Dell.

I love Apple, too, but the Dell bashing is kind of silly.

17. kristiano macrumors regular

18. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Apple did good!

You were fortunate. Enjoy your Core 2 duo.. :D

19. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

What's wrong with Dell bashing?

Who cares if it's accurate or not? It's fun!

Don't like Dell. I think their computer configuration page is a bitch to use. Apple's is so much better. Their customisability isn't that good anyway, and neither are their prices. Apple is between almost as good, and way better, depending on the old who, what, when, etc. Remember the price comparisons between Mac Pro and Dell? But that doesn't matter. Take a joke when you see one!

Congrats to the OP btw.

21. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

I have never understood the idea of Dell. If you want to "customize" your computer, why not do it yourself. If more people knew how easy it actually is to build a computer, Dell would go under. It seriously to a few hours tops... except laptops... That is why I will never buy a desktop except for an Apple desktop.

22. DanielGilbert macrumors member

The 160gb HD on my Dimension Desktop failed. I asked for it replaced, and they ended up sending me a 400gb HD instead :D :D

Now if only I could figure out a way of giving some of that space to my Macbook... :rolleyes:

23. Boxer macrumors regular

Yes I too am getting annoyed at people who worship Apple like they are so perfect. I have had very bad issues with apple and then they made good and did what it took to regain my business. But I wouldn't say that they are any better than any other manufacturer. HP and Dell do the same thing. ie, giving or upgrading people who have been having constant issues.

Anyway, nice that you got taken care of. I always like to hear those stories. Kind of like mine. Now if we can only speed up their shipping??????

24. EricChunky macrumors regular

Your luck and service is built on the blood and tears of millions of Random-Shut-Down Pain-In-Ass MacBook users. :mad: :mad: :mad: