I did it again...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Peyton, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Never fails. I am a senior in undergraduate college and I have procrastinated like I have never done before, and I have a 50:eek: yes 50 page paper due tomorrow by 12 noon and its 2:25AM. Oh important note, I have 10 pages done. I seriously just don't care any more. Is that so bad? When I graduate, will this paper matter? Is it worth it? Anyway, I have an A, but a B doesn't look too bad right now.

I'm also posting this from our enormous library, I already made an Arby's run, now I'm back finding more ways to amuse myself.

What's the worst you've ever procrastinated? Be sure that I'll be refreshing this to keep me distracted :D :cool:
  2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I feel like closing the thread to help you get your work done, but I know it's up to you to find your inspiration to keep working.

Is it worth it? You can't know today, but you can assume it might.

Ten hours from now, won't you feel better if you've done your best, rather than giving up? And don't answer me - work on your paper instead!
  3. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Nov 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Agreed. Get your head down and surprise yourself, write one page at a time, not 50.
  4. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    The worst thing for me was distractions, like the internet or TV or anything else I could use as an excuse not to do my homework.
  5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    the thing is, the paper may not matter in a few weeks or months or years, but i bet it will still matter MORE than the bs stuff you do in the time you waste instead of writing it.
  6. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    dammit i was hoping you were able to dress yourself again and it was a miracle.

anyways good luck
  7. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006

Feel the love...
    45 pages and counting...plus references, the race is on
  8. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    If you fail this class, will you graduate?

If yeah, eff the paper.
  9. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    I think I'm liking you more and more :D
  10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    You're just jealous.
  11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Get off MR and do your assignment....You r making me jump on you man...come on get that education MR will always be here.

12. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Done. Thanks for all your astounding support, paper done, onto other news... WINDOWS ON MACS AND WHITNEY HOUSTON GOING TO DIE! (AFTER HER TEETH FALL OUT AND A BUNCH OF CORNY SONG REFS)

:D :D :D ;)
  13. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Nice job! People are always suprised with how quickly long papers can get written. Of course, you could always go with the "it's better to have something decent and too short than nothing or something full-length and crap."

Regardless, now at least you have a story to piss all your buddies off with. As an English major, I did my fair share of long papers at the last minute (and did a damn fine job, I might add), and it always miffed my non-major friends that they couldn't whip something up that quickly when they needed to. :p to them, I say! :D
  14. cyberddot macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2003
    in a forest
    Wow...my wife is a great writer, and just finished a second undergrad degree, but I never saw her whip out 40 pages that fast! :confused: Did you use a Large font? In any case, gj, and 'grats! ;)

15. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    I have this film professor that will assign a certain length paper at a certain time then go,"The length isn't that important. I just put it there because people inevitably ask. And the due date isn't that important to me. Just make sure you keep in touch with me to make sure we're on the same page"
  16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    I'm a writer and a horrible procastinator. My worst EVAR was a 50,000 word assignment due on Monday.

I started it on Friday evening.

Now, I pump out about 800 words per hour on average but when in "the zone" I can do about 1,000 words per hour. :eek:

Anyway, that was a looooooong weekend. I did turn in the project on Monday, on time. What was really amazing is my editor only asked for 1-2 re-writes of very small sections; he loved it! :)

So, this is where the real problem starts: because I did it once, in my mind, I can do it again. At this point, my procrastination is even WORSE than before. ("Why start that project due in a month today? I did it before, I can do it again!")

Anyone know a way to help get yourself out of procrastination? Seriously, I need help too!
  17. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006

WOW... and to the person that ask, I used 12 pt times new roman font, APA guidelines.

Anyway, as an English major myself I'm pretty used to writing papers but its the citations that kill me.

I never used to be bad at procrastination. But here in the final leg of college I just couldn't care less.

I think the trick is, to do one small assignment as soon as you recieve it, no matter what you have planned etc. Then that feeling of accomplishment will spur you on into getting more done on time.

The down side? Well in the real world, you're get an assignment, get it done, get paid, then get anotherone the next day, so you are in effect just killing yourself with increasing amounts of work, and when you hop off that hampster wheel, you feel guilty that you aren't working as hard as you used to etc. And then you get gray hair, bosses or clients yell at you, you get fired, and it all ends in hate mail. I see it all the time. ;) :D
  18. Project macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2005
    Im just as bad. Usually leave it to the day its due in as it needs to be submitted by 8.30pm.

I feel I get my best marks when I do it in one or two sittings though. So in some ways, procrastination helps, so long as you dont leave it TOO late. Im not a big believer in doing it in bits over say, a month. It loses focus.
  19. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    Man, I've been there so many times. I do my best work when it's the last minute and I'm under the gun. Even though I'm not in college anymore I still do the same thing with my design work and when writing music. It's like the inspsiration won't flow unless my life depends on it...
  20. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2005
    I had a 6 page (haha yeah 6 is nothing to 50) paper due on Friday and I started on Thursday and I had a month to work on it.
    and I finished and got an A :D
  21. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I've always been a last minute person. I just can't help it. :eek:

I think I need the pressure to actually make me do something, though I always regret not having done things earlier.
  22. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    I'm a little late to the party. But I'm impressed Peyton. You have done it! Doesn't it feel good? I usually get the same way, wait until the last minute to finish a report or assignment. and every-time I swear not to do it again....