I did it... I got a 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by epicwelshman, Oct 12, 2006.

1. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

So I bit the bullet, layed down my cash and bought me a 360. I got it from Wal-Mart, and got PGR3 and NHL2K7 free with it, and picked up a copy of Oblivion. By the way, Oblivion = best game ever. Woot.

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

good job have you got live?

what is your live tag? mine is j0efuri0us:D

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Nice, I will probably pick up a 360 when Halo III comes out. :)

4. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

Good timing they are dropping the prices on quite a few games...
    I'd highly suggest checking out:
    GR:AW
    PGR3
    LEGO Star Wars II

I'd also suggest staying away from almost any of the first released sports games and check out the new ones.

Gamertag:
    CyclingPlatypus

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'd say this probably is one of the best times to get a 360 with all the great content arriving...

October 17, 2006 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent
    October 24, 2006 - Phantasy Star Universe
    November 12, 2006 - Gears of War

A bunch of others should be hitting around Nov/Dec too, but official release dates haven't been released... (Mass Effect?)

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Enjoy your new console! Oblivion alone will keep you busy for a hundred hours. It's a very immersive experience. Lots of good gmaes coming out soon.

On an unrelated 360 topic: Anybody knows if Sonic team will be in charge of Phantasy Star Universe? PSO was great on the Dreamcast/Gamecube but Sonic Team let it turn into a massive cheaters fest. It was also full of bugs that could corrupt your data and make you lose your charater forever. They never really fixed the bugs and didn't care at all about the cheating.

Will the characters be stored on their servers or locally? Will the same servers be used for the 360 and PS2 versions? Will we be able to use a keyboard?

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Personally I'd say avoid PSU. You know that ontop of the Xbox Live fee you also have to pay a server fee to Sega? Screwed are you.

8. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Nobody's mentioned Dead Rising? Great game. Silly, senseless violence you can feel good about. Looks great in HD, nice soundtrack/sound effects - the commercials don't do it justice.

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I haven't read this officially, you have any links you could post?

Of course, I don't think it matters that much, combined it'd probably still only run like $10 USD/month, which is under par for an MMORPG.

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Bummer. He's right. Straight from the horse's mouth: Link. $9.99 a month is not that bad.

Although, it seems you can still play PSU with the free XBox live silver license. That's nice.

11. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Good choice. 360 is a great console and it sounds like you got a pretty good deal with the games. I want to try Oblivion but I feel like it would suck up all of my time.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Also the extra mission / side quest that is included in the PS3 release - will be available on marketplace to download for 360 - so these with 360's wont miss out. However current 360 downloadble content will NOT be in the PS3 version.

13. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I have zero complaints about my 360, have enjoyed it since the day I bought it. Games that have taken up a ton of my time are: GRAW, PGR3, Tomb Raider, Kameo, NFS:MW, Fight Night 3, Lego Star Wars. I have Oblivion, but I guess I am not an RPG gamer, I need closur in games, levels to beat. I played it for 10 hours or so, but just couldn't keep going. I just get too worried that I did something wrong and didn't get to make my character the best it could be. I like games like GRAW where you just go through and play the levels, no worrying about how your character will change and improve, but that is just me.

If there is game you are curious about, most likely there is a demo to try. These really are the best thing to happen to games in a long time, I know I have bought a couple games I never would have thought to get before I tried the demo.

The achievements become very addictive, I now look at all the achievements before I start a game so I know what to do to get as many as I can; such as playing at a harder level the first time through or trying to get all the secrets.

Enjoy your system. :)

14. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Makes me not want to wait for my Nintendo Wii but its just a little out of my price range

15. fall3n macrumors 6502

aw to bad, PS3 is gonna rock. I'm waiting for that.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For now it's out of mine too, iMac sucked up my money. Keep thinking I should get a student loan to cover my virtually non-existant job.

17. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

You don't have a student loan?! How do you pay for your fee's and housing and ****?

I have a loan and overdraft and i still need more money for games!! (Although I DID just buy a HDTV which set me back £600...)

On a more related note, I'm thinking of getting a 360 after the Christmas price drop. It would be nice to see some HD gaming on my tv.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

He lives at home

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I live at home :D
    Parents are friendly with money too. "will it help with university?" *buys*

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

same with me, i have my wonderful wacom tablet 9X11 just to draw cells for lab notebooks

But i have loans just so that i have a good credit even thou i don't need them, i make enough money on my own anyways

can't wait for my Wii thou

21. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if a modchip is available for the 360 yet?

Thats what Im waiting for, to 'backup' my games on the drive and run them from it like I do on my Xbox.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There is in a way. the DVD drive is flashed which allows you to run your own games, though I hear running downloaded Xbox Live games only plays the demo. From what I gather it is nothing like what the original Xbox could do. not yet anyways.

23. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well there is an Xbox360 modchip... I think its called Fractal360, it looks decent though I don't know if it plays "backups" flawlessly.

24. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Not everyone needs a student loan, though - especially for those who aren't spending money on HDTVs while in college...:rolleyes: :D ;) :)

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

tut tut tut :rolleyes:

piracy is not allowed on these forums, and 'backups' are very tenuios in the legality area.

modchips are not available for the 360 - only dvd drive firmware is available which allows your drive to play 'any' kind of disc.

But microsoft will clamp down on this sooner rather than later and those with flashed drives will be banned from xbox live or if M$ see fit, have a nice nag screen on there next dash update telling you to seek a certified repair centre.. followed by rings of death...