I did it.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ryan42, Jul 14, 2004.

1. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

I bought a Power Mac G4. Dual processor.

The specs you say?

Power Mac G4
    Optical 2 - None
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro dual-display w/64MB DDR
    Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
    Dual 1.25GHz w/ 2MB L3 Cache per processor
    80GB Ultra ATA drive
    56K internal modem
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) -1 DIMM
    Optical 1 - Apple SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    Accessory kit
    Mac OS - U.S. English 065-4386

APP for Power Mac (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit
    .Mac Promotional
    Apple Pro Speakers
    iSight
    HP PSC 2175 All-In-One
    Belkin 6ft A to B USB Cable
    Office 2004 for Mac - Student and Teacher Edition
    Edirol UM-1SX USB-Midi Interface

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

When you say you bought, did you mean w/ your owne money or w/ your mom's money? Either way, I feel sorry for you. You got seriously ripped off. Go to Apple.com's Education page and see what you could've got. And where's the monitor?

3. nyprospect macrumors 6502

When i read the post i didnt know what to say.Im glad you are happy.But for that price you could have gotten a g5 .Again i dont want to burst you bubble at all.This is what the forum is for.I agree with fuzzy.Anyway if you are happy than cool.Best of luck.

4. ryan42 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryan42

I've always wanted a G4. Since they first came out I've loved their style and the design of the case. Now don't get me wrong. The G5 looks great, too. I think Toastmaster or Kenmore should lease out the design for a toaster oven. Preferated aluminum? Just how I like my computers. Full of holes. Talk about "CoolSteel." Oh but don't get me wrong. The G5 case is an origional desgin. It looks just like a PC tower, except the door is on the right and not the left. I'd rather have the side fold down and get easy and instant access to the RAM and all without anything getting into the way.

5. jenniff macrumors member

I'm personally more interested on what's inside the case than the case itself. However, I can't argue with you: the G4's case is pretty rock awesome.

However, I really dig the G5's panel. Too, I really dig serial ATA... ooh, yea. Hot pluggable cables.. Now that gives me chills. It could be in a cardboard box for all I care. THAT's rock awesome.

What's that old axiom? You can't judge a book by its cover? Yea..

6. hello world macrumors newbie

hello world

Just a reminder that half of what you pay for a current Apple is the design. Steve Jobs bet, correctly, that you CAN judge a book by its cover.

Not to say I don't love this and the dozen other Macs I've had.

The G4 tower design does rock, and I'll keep mine under my desk until they make a g5 that could actually fit under there. It's just too big.

7. jenniff macrumors member

I pay for a machine that runs OS X, and the awesome interior design. It's not that I dislike the exterior. I like pretty things, things that go nicely in the decor of my house. However, I wouldn't think less of the machine if it were nasty beige.

Example: PowerMac 9500. Now that machine is awesome. I know a guy who still uses his, and he loves it to death. He's upgraded that machine until it's about to explode.

If I'm getting a case solely on impressive exterior design, I'll get an flatpanel iMac. What an incredible machine that is. It's not functional, expandable like a tower, but it looks incredible.

If I were to buy a new machine right now, I couldn't get a G4. I'll stick with my Quicksilver G4 for now, but I'm not buying any machine unless it has a G5. I need to get a PowerBook, but I'm waiting (forever) until G5 PBs are released. I can't think of a single reason to get a G4, unless you need OS9.

8. ryan42 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryan42

I got a G4 tower. I have no reason to get a G5. I've used G4s at school for years. I have no experiance at all with G5, except that that I've used at an applestore. And when I moved the mouse there seemed to be a 10 ms lag between when it moved on screen. But I could notice it. Ohhh. I could notice it alright.

*I-love-my-G4* Or atleast, the G4 I will have Thursday of next week.

It's one of those things people just do. Some people cycle, some people build houses, some people make radio programs, and some people are madly (okay maybe not that extreme) obsessed with the design of the G4.
    ~gets defensive~

So hands off. It's mine. :cool:

9. hello world macrumors newbie

hello world

You could borrow my reason:

I need to do what I'm doing faster, now.

I buy my Macs for performance and because I'm partial to the Apple platform.
    Being able to wait for the Powerbook G5 shows that, for you, there's no difference between the appearance of your Mac and what it can do. You're evaluating both appearance and performance as a consumer, not a user.
    If you needed speed, you have it now.

10. jenniff macrumors member

I see what you're saying. You're partly right. But, the reason I'm not buying one now is that
    1) my mac is mighty fast as it is, esp. with the upgrades I've poured into it
    2) I'm not going to spend cash on a PB G4 when what I want is a G5. I'm not made of money, for goodness sakes.

I don't get that logic, do explain. I just said that I don't care what it looks like. I do care about what it can do. Truthfully, I'm waiting for second generation G5 PBs, because I don't want it to be ghetto rigged from Apple like all of their first generation products are. So, I'm even moreso caring about what it can do.

I'm just abnormally patient. I buy fewer computers that way.

11. ryan42 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryan42

Uhh. Back to the main part of the conversation... How long till my order get's processed? :D

12. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

guys this must be a joke...well i hope it is..who in hte right mind would spend that much on a dual g4.... omfg...your not joking are you....i cant belive it.... i feel so bad....i dont know why but i do... when has anyone seen a pc case that looks like a g5???? fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool fool

welcome to the mac world..... learn something....

Edit - sorry if im harsh but...slagging of the g5 for the g4... and then saying some silly comment about the mouse taking 10millisecs to move,,,, im sure you know that the g5 is faster than the g4..... blah blah...

13. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

Congrats on the new G4--i had one for awhile and loved it!
    I just sold it to get a G5, but i know i'll miss the case design...
    it is a beautiful design.

Enjoy it!

14. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i hope you guys are noticing that the g4 wasn't $2500... i doubt it was even $1800....
    he bought a lot of other stuff too... and other stuff costs money...

i would prefer a g5, but right now i have about enough money to buy an isight... so i'll keep saving.. :D

reality

15. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

CANCEL THAT ORDER

You can still get a G4 but please get the dual 1.42GHz model. It is a much better deal than what you paid. Check out Powermax. They have a refurbished dual 1.42GHz Powermac G4 with 512MB of ram. a 120 gig HD, and a superdrive. All for $1949. A much better deal! Don't pass this up!! :)

16. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

you know when you said it took ten ms lag to move the mouse? well that could be down to any number of reasons, such as the power settings? if it was in a store then they probably had the hard drives set to sleep after 5 mins. - so if it hasnt been touched for a few mins then of course theres gonna be a slight pause before everything kicks in again.(that would happen with any mac) im not trying to bash, you got a mac thats cool but you can't deny how good or powerful the g5 is whether you've had any experience with it or not. And for the money you spent you didnt get such a great deal, certainly not a good enough deal to be shooting down g5s. :rolleyes:

however if you like the g4s looks better fair enough

i just cant really understand the money that you paid for it thats all, its outdated technology however you look at it. i would have bought an older second hand g4 tower if you like the design so much. i personally think that they trashed the g4 design with the last revision. With the darker grey plastic and horrible mirror effect on the front panel. it looks like a cheap chrome sticker to me, whether its been dipped in shiney stuff or what nothing beats the quicksilver.

the quicksilver looks much better than the mirror door. END OF STORY (its also alot quieter) :D

17. captain kirk macrumors member

Give the guy a break, he bought over $1000 in add ons like applecare, office, isight, printer etc etc. The overall price was actually ok. To buy the same kit here in the UK would cost around $3500, £1950 in uk money.

18. goodwill macrumors regular

the8088er

I am also in Houston, did you get it from the Galleria Apple Store I am assuming. I hate some of the pickles that work in the store, but there are a few that are genuinely helpful and not arrogant. What was the girls name do you know. Drop me a PM or respond in this thread if you can. I got my PB back in December at the Galleria Store and had a real great sales person helping me out, but everytime I've gone in since its been really uncomfortable with several of the sales people in there. Congrats on the G4!

19. goodwill macrumors regular

The kids 14, give him a break. He doesnt have a G5 salary. He's a student and in 4 years when hes off to college maybe he can get a newer model or the G5 PB when it comes out in 2008 haha. For now, what 14 yr old really "needs" a G5, I didn't say "wants", I said "needs".

20. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I think perhaps you should have put a bit more emphasis on all the extras you got along with the computer. Most of the people in here didn't bother to read what you actually got for the money. I don't think you did too bad at all. Congrats on your G4 dude! :)

21. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i dont understand why some of you are freaking out.. a dual 1.8 alone would have been $2500 w/ applecare, tax, etc.. that's not including all the other stuff that he got.

It's his money, let him spend it as he pleases.

22. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Oh i didnt know you were 14.If you are happy kiddo than great.Enjoy and congrats.

23. ryan42 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryan42

Nah. I got it from the AppleStore Telesales.

I'd also like to add that I need (okay, want) the G4 dual optical drives. I'd rather have dual G4s than one G5.

Anyway. I'll be gone until next Thursday. Hopefully it'll be here soon after I return. :)