I didn't know god hated gays.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by coopdog, Jan 24, 2004.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

So at a swim meet about a month ago. This kid 15 or 16 comes up to me being a smart ass to get a laugh out of his friends. So he gets in my face and is like I like Gatorade. :confused: So I thought I would just give it back to him. So I said, Oh really you like Gatorade? So do I! And something along the lines of "we should get together and drink Gatorade ALL night long and have a good time, if you know what I mean." All this will a stereotypical "gay lisp." Then some of the guys on my swim team were like, "didn't you know this is gay swim team." He thought my friends and I weren’t kidding. So he freaks out, going off on how "you ****ing people, ****ing faggots, gays are going to hell and a disgrace of god." And he flips us off and walks away. We all started laughing.

Where does a teen pick up "gays are going to hell because they are a disgrace of god?" Parents/church?

So yesterday I was at another swim meet and saw this same kid. I was in the cool down pool and he was walking past will his team stuff on, The Tigers.
    So I was like, "are you a tiger in bed too did the cat claw thing with my hand and winked at him. " I thought he was going to punch me. He just flipped me off really angrily and said some religious stuff about gays... Oh man was it funny. Then later another guy and I went over and he was wearing plaid pants. We did that stereotypical "gay lisp" and the hand movements and just went on about how he looked "super" in plaid and just what other stuff would look "fab" on him. Again same reaction. ****in' gay this, hell that, disgrace of god. It was just too hard to resist after the guys first reaction the month earlier.

What the hell do people teach their kids? He didn't come up with this on his own. I wish he threw a punch at me, I would have taken him down. What would his defense be? I tried to beat him up because he is gay? I know if I wasn't bigger than him he would have thrown a punch. By the way I'm NOT gay.

Jeez this kind of thing pisses me off.
    I wonder if his church tought him this.

2. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Re: I didn't know god hated gays.

Insane, isn't it? Of course this is learned behaviour, either from parents, teachers, or friends. I've never heard it straight from my priest's mouth that homosexuals are not loved by God, or that they will burn in Hell, or anything like that. They certainly don't encourage it either, though.:rolleyes:

I have news for everyone: We live in the Middle Ages. Hopefully, we'll see the light someday, but I'm not holding my breath.:(

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: I didn't know god hated gays.

Its unfortunate, to say the least - but its not the 'church' that taught him this, it was an individual with a closed mind.

Best you just ignore him and not try and force any issue. Until he comes to better terms with this himself, he's just going to be an ass.

D

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

He probably said that because there are several Biblical references to homosexuality being an abomination to God. Sodom and Gomorrah and all that jazz.

Google for them, and you'll probably find them

5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

God loves ALL of us. He just doesn't like what we do.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe it's just me, but it's always been more fun to make fun of homoPHOBES than it is to make fun of homosexuals. I'm not gay, but I wouldn't want someone telling me I couldn't love someone because King James made some mistranslations. I mean, some of us are a little homophobic and can get uncomfortable, but I'm not going to get pissy about it.

Besides, we all know that guys who beat up gays are just in the closet.

"Honey, pulease".

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Caution, this post contains religion :eek:

Hey, have any of you ever touched your Bibles?

In the book of Romans, written by Paul (the cornerstone and leader of the church after Jesus ascended into heaven), Chapter 1:
    verses 26-27
    "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

In Leviticus, the book of Laws written by Moses from the mouth of God (Yahweh), chapter 18:
    verse 22
    "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

These are two blatant condemnations of homosexual behavior in the very prevalent books of the NIV Bible used by all Christian religions. In an earlier thread I posted that I am not in a position to question the inner emotions of a person who proclaims and practices homosexuality. God is the final judge of the heart.

I do know that God has made it clear in his word that homosexual behavior is despicable and detestable in his sight, and homosexuals are unfortunately going to spend eternity suffering in hell for their sins against the flesh of God.

Whether or not the church will stand up for the God they serve or not, I will stand up for what is right. I know that I will probably get flamed for my 'conservative view,' but it's in the Bible, black-and-white. Society doesn't hate gays because they are different. Society hates gays because deep down inside, we know that it is a sinful wrong behavior. Unfortunately, the hatred of the sin is often becomes a hatred of the person, which is just as much a damnable sin.

In short, wherever this hatred has been learned, it certainly can be traced back to the command and law of God.

9. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

By dismissing the idea of a God, an afterlife or any other religious "lore" i can eliminate the worry that an of my actions will lead me to hell. :D

10. TommyLee macrumors regular

TWIST

Look, this might be hard to comprehend if your not a Christian, but God doesn't HATE anyone. These are ordinary people like you and me with opinions & interpretations of God's plan. THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT GOD. What's so had to understand about that?

I personally don't approve of "Bible Bashing"- I believe everyone's entitled to their own opinions. Which is why you shouldn't twist God's words. God doesn't "hate" anyone...

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: TWIST

i'm a confirmed catholic -- i can bash the bible all i want

12. TommyLee macrumors regular

Yes, you can. And you can do a lot of things, once you take advantage of "Free Will."

(There's no need to be a smartass)

13. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

sorry ... i'm 19 ... and i've spent the last 13 years in catholic schools where "the word" was jammed down my throat, and i had to listen to the constant sermonizing of teachers and priests and older relatives ... It's made me very jaded toward religion.

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Re: TWIST

EXACTLY!!

God hates evil and sin, but He loves and still gave His only son to die for those sins so that everyone could live in eternal paradise with Him.

15. TommyLee macrumors regular

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I agree

17. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: I didn't know god hated gays.

goodness, i think you need to go live in the real middle ages. there's really no need to make an ass of yourself saying something that's basically the equivalent of saying "living in a democracy is like living in nazi germany."

think before you speak ;)

18. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: Re: Re: I didn't know god hated gays.

democracy isn't all that great ...

still a system based on the appetitive nature of man

19. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: I didn't know god hated gays.

I have thought about this. A LOT. Yes, we're much more advanced than we used to be (I can't even imagine living in a world without indoor plumbing), but just because we have electricity, technology, modern medicine, and we don't have the inquisition on our butts, doesn't mean we're actually civilized.

The day an interracial couple can walk down the street and not get dirty looks; the day two people that love each other can get marriage recognized by the law; the day teenagers aren't beaten to death because of sexual orientation; THAT's the day we're not in the middle ages. Right now we have two kids walking into their high school with machine guns killing anyone in their paths; we have people all over the world DYING of hunger, and we complain that Macs don't have as many games as PCs.

Believe me, we are NOT a civilized society by any means. We just think we are.

20. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I don't have a problem with gays. I just don't feel comfortable around them.

I would rather be around someone who shares the same interests as myself.

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i agree with roger. it is wrong according to god and the bible, but so is many things and all sins are equal. and i have never heard any preacher come out and say that or not welcome a gay person into the church.

iJon

22. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I believe in philosophy. The ancient Greeks were so on to something great. Unfortunately, the polis didn't see it that way. Look what they did to Socrates.
    My cynicism is showing.
    Imagine what the world would be like if philosophy was the way to a higher plane of thought instead of wanting to believe in life after death, and a deity that is "out there" to be worshipped and whose capriciousness is interpreted in scripture and verse by people who don't know any better than anyone else. They're just peddlers of comforting words.
    I believe that religion just makes you more of what you are anyway. If you are a good person, you can use it that way. If you are an evil person who has a gift for demagoguery, then you can use it that way.

"Oh Hitler in a robe of truth, my emptiness has built your alter..." -- Ed Kowalcyk

I think wanting to believe in God comes from a basic truth.
    All people want to feel that they are important. Something that flows from pride, which flows from the survival instinct.
    The key is to be aware of this. Always. And not let lasciviousness be your avenue to whatever suffering or agony you shall surely endure.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What interests do you have that gays couldn't share (besides chasing skirts)?

24. sethypoo macrumors 68000

D@mn straight.