i didnt know macs had this capability...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Mar 25, 2004.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    Odd thing happen to me. I hooked my powerbook up to the schools internet access line by way of ethernet (proper technical terms allude me at the moment) and opened up itunes. On the source side of itunes where your library is at someone elses music library should up along with mine. I was like WTF??? After a few seconds thinking about it and knowing about the guy whos music library showed up in my source area because it was titled with his name (and I know hes the only other guy in my university who as a powerbook and uses it at school and has that type of "trendie mtv music") I knew exactly what was going on. I was shocked. I didnt know macs had this capability. Impressive. Sorry this is probably common knowledge to you guys but its wasnt to me. So if I can see his music he must be able to see mine... how can I prevent mine from being viewed? If i play one of his tracks... does he know im playing one of his tracks? Some of his tracks are locked and need a password to listen to them but others dont.

Just curious.
  2. Maritan macrumors regular

Nov 6, 2003
    Rendezvous. I think that's the reason you're seeing the other person's iTunes library. Not a 100% sure.

As to not sharing your own library, go to Preferences in iTunes and click on the Sharing tab and make sure the "Share my music" option is not checked.
  3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    cool thanks. freaked me the hell out man.

4. davecuse macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2004
    You can do the same from a PeeCee, just download iTunes for 2k/XP. He wouldn't know that you were playing his music unless he quit iTunes, then he'd see a message saying that someone is listening to your music, you sure you really want to quit. As for the locked tracks, those are ones he purchased from iTunes Music Store, protected AAC format, you need his account name and password to listen to them. I wish iTunes would have been big when I lived in the dorms, it's fresh music whenever you want it. I read an article about this a while back, some psychology major was analyzing people based on their shared music, it funny in a weird way...
  5. HenMaster6000 macrumors regular

Dec 16, 2003

Since all my iPod-toting friends picked up iTunes our school's shared music library is HUGE! We must have at least 25 people sharing their music in just my quad. It's kinda cool because it's so ubiquitous that you can almost advertise using your share name for whatever you want, especially if your library > 8000 songs. The administration is actually reprimanding students who put offensive content in their share names! And yeah, it's rendezvous.
  6. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

Aug 6, 2003
    If you think that's cool check out the new tivos. You can pay for an option that uses rendezvous, allows you to view your iphoto library from your mac on your tv, listen to your itunes library and schedule tivo recording remotely. check out www.tivo.com to see more on that junk. but yeah, rendezvous rules and I use it all the time because there are two macs and an airport in my house.
  7. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Yeah, its gone huge on my campus as well, there are usually about 50-70 people sharing at any given time, and many people have begun putting their AIM screen names in their library names, so if you find something you like, you can then IM them and have them send you the song over AIM's ftp. Its like a mini p2p network almost.
  8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Isn't there a way to ask who is listening (or if anyone is listening) to your streams other than quitting?
  9. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2002
    Los Angeles, California
  10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    this doesn't come as a shock to me although I didn't know about it. Itunes is very powerful for an mp3 player.
  11. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana

I think that feature is pretty neat...

Now I don't have a Mac laptop or anything.... ( :-( ) But I can stream music from my PC off of my eMac and vice versa now that I have them networked. Very neat stuff, I have to say.
  12. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    under preferences, you'll be able to tell iTunes to share your music and/or look for other shared music. so if you don't want to share yours, you can turn it off; and if seeing other people's music continues to blow your mind, you can always stop displaying other shared libraries.
  13. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    HA! Something like this happened to me at work just the other day. I was listening to some music in iTunes (windows version), and I stumbled into the shared folder. To my suprise, I had 2 other user's music listed. We are all on the same network, so we can all see each other's music.
  14. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Ain't nothing new. If you checked look for shared music, iTunes will seek out people who check shared music on the same network as yours. It's that simple.
  15. ingenious macrumors 65832

Jan 13, 2004
    Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    heres another way

another way to tell if someones usin ur library:

go into itunes
    click edit, prefs
    click the sharing tab
    at the bottom it will say On, and then how many users are connected, if any.

on a side note..... I'm the only one in my GenY class who shares their music. It's finally starting to catch on, because i have our musical music on there. the prob is that the teachers all use itunes on their emacs, and if i have itunes open on my PB, then they can see all of my music.....
  16. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    Yep, iTunes library sharing. It has to be enabled, of course, and you can even set a password.
  17. TBR macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2004
    Blackpool - England
    What about shared iPhoto librarys?

Seen anythinf you shouldn't?