Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I saw this while walking to a sidewalk sale here in the city. I ran back to the car, found no camera so actually drove back to my flat, snagged the camera, rapidly returned and thankfully found it still sitting here.

I blurred one plate, then realized I don't care, it isn't my car :p
Enjoy, anyone know about this?

Edit: Fixed links so they display the thumbnails....finally.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
I've seen a couple of these. I don't really see the point of such large 2 door sports cars. I enjoy sporty cars, don't get me wrong, but if it's going to be as big as this one, why not put some extra doors at the back?

On another note, why is it that people with expensive cars seem to think that parking between the lines does not apply to them?

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
witness said:
I've seen a couple of these. I don't really see the point of such large 2 door sports cars. I enjoy sporty cars, don't get me wrong, but if it's going to be as big as this one, why not put some extra doors at the back?

On another note, why is it that people with expensive cars seem to think that parking between the lines does not apply to them?

Haha, actually he is parked in front of a dual-store building, where the three spots (two he is taking) specifically say "Parking for Dry-Cleaner Customers Only". Just as I finished shooting he came out....of the restaurant next door, of course with no dry-cleaning :p

jadam said:
the rear is very ugly

Actually I dislike the front, but that is more because I dislike the new styling in general, not the 6 ;) I think the rear looks pretty cool, aggressive looking exhaust fitting the "M" profile well.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
To me, there is something very unwieldy about the 6 series in photos, which doesn't come out as much in person. I thought it (the 6 drop, not the M6 -- I haven't seen one in person) looked very pretty in person, both at auto shows and on the street. Not that I could ever see buying one over a much smaller drop top....

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
mkrishnan said:
To me, there is something very unwieldy about the 6 series in photos, which doesn't come out as much in person. I thought it (the 6 drop, not the M6 -- I haven't seen one in person) looked very pretty in person, both at auto shows and on the street. Not that I could ever see buying one over a much smaller drop top....

I personally love the new 6, I think it's the best looking car out there right now. I'd buy one tomorrow if someone would buy one of my kidneys :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
kwajo.com said:
I personally love the new 6, I think it's the best looking car out there right now. I'd buy one tomorrow if someone would buy one of my kidneys :p

How much are you asking? ;)

This car is alright, but I still prefer the M5 when it comes to cars like this - 5.0 Liter 40-Valve DOHC V10 with 500+ horsepower! :cool:

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Macmaniac said:
Thats a hot car. I have not seen any yet over here, is it just exclusively in Europe? My dad has a 3, its a sweet car, I wish he had got the M3!

Those cars look pretty good in person, but someone all ready said, they are big for sporty coupe. There is nothing close to perfect sports coupe like Porsche.

Does any one know when the M3 will be released?
It has been a while since the last update.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dude this car is the M iteration - 2nd at that - to the BMW 6 series (specifically the 635i) back in the mid '80s. That car was the bomb too and still has decent performance. This new M6 will seriously knock your socks off. They may all be spoken for in this 1st year, though.

Also this 6 series & M6 will both be limited edition runs, probably for another 4 years tops. Its a sweet car, & looks its best in Champagne Red.

The only other car in its price range that can touch in in speed, acceleration, luxury, handling, braking, and carrying four 6 foot adults is probably the Audi RS4.

M6 the Ultimate Driving Machine.

PS Has anyone seen an M1 driven around the streets yet?? Its a 2 seat exotic car built in the early '80s and hasn't been built since.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Prom1 said:
PS Has anyone seen an M1 driven around the streets yet?? Its a 2 seat exotic car built in the early '80s and hasn't been built since.

On a loosely related note, I wonder if the *new* 1-Series will generate an M car? :D

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I like the look of that car. Still would rather have the M5 though... ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Prom1 said:

Can't say I've ever seen an M1 in person, but here are a couple shots...

yklxcq

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2005
Macmaniac said:
Thats a hot car. I have not seen any yet over here, is it just exclusively in Europe? My dad has a 3, its a sweet car, I wish he had got the M3!
i have seen couples of them in new zealand last week

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
~Shard~ said:
How much are you asking? ;)

This car is alright, but I still prefer the M5 when it comes to cars like this - 5.0 Liter 40-Valve DOHC V10 with 500+ horsepower! :cool:

Well if you are talking engine.........they are the same :p

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Platform said:
Well if you are talking engine.........they are the same :p

The 6-Series already had a lightweight construction with an aluminum front structure, thermoplastic front fenders, and a lightweight trunk lid. Unfortunately the M6 weighs still 3771 lb, but that's still 99 lb less than the M5 with a 4.3-inch-longer wheelbase.

2006 BMW M6
Base price: $85,000 (est.)
Engine: 5.0 liter V-10, 507 hp/384 lb-ft
Transmission: Sequential seven-speed DSG semi-automatic, rear-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 191.7 x 73.2 x 53.9 in
Wheelbase: 113.0 in
Curb weight: 3770 lb

That review is pretty nice, thanks for the link mkrishnan ;)

Regardless of the performance between the M6 and the M5, they are aimed for different people I believe. The M6 is indeed a large sports coupe. It has to (I hope and pray) have more room than a Porsche or Ferrari, yet still kicks a** when it comes to specs. The M5 is a sports sedan. Basically, a car for ma or pa who wants a sports car but cannot justfiy a Porsche for real-world usability with the chillin's or getting groceries. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the M5, but it is a sedan and therefore will never be quite the sports can that an all-out performance coupe can be. There are very few all-out performance coupes released of late, but the few that are out (GT2 comes to mind) are pretty awesome.
I think I too would prefer to M5, but this was the first I had heard/seen of an M6 and I am still pretty amazed.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
Can't say I've ever seen an M1 in person, but here are a couple shots...

Here is where I am a lucky bastard :D

I have driven and worked on one for nearly a week! :eek:
Back in highschool I worked for an auto repair and detailing shop. My parents knew the owner from back in the day so getting a job was a little easier than most since he knew I was trustworthy (this was the first time in my life that "knowing someone" actually paid off in a job or experience :p).

The cars that went through this shop were amazing, the best of the best. We had cars coming from all over Michigan, most all the exotics from Detroit and Chicago would get carted up to us to work on, we were/are the best.

So this guy carts in his M1 one day, in the then-classic orange paint, looks amazing. The guy races this thing in BMW cup races locally and all over. Rear-mounted in-line 6, modified, running strictly race fuel at a 108 octane minimum :eek:
I got to detail this with the head cleaner, before which I got to drive it around a little after we re-built the engine. The owner was with me so no sweet stories about racing down the straights, but he was kind enough to see my drool and oblige, letting me drive it for nearly 30 minutes around town :D

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You are a lucky bloke!

I myself, if given the duckets, would purchase the 2004 M3 over this years, dont like this years design and the ride control implementation; a friend has one and took me for a ride and it actually made me sick on a familiar corner. He upgraded, if that can be used for cars, from his 2004 M3 that was leased.

The exclusitivity of the M6 and the fact that its a Coupé is enough for me over the M5. This years M5 is too much like the 5 series sedans. Not enough seperation in its design. And whats with you boys about the a**?! You probably felt the same way with J Lo when she first debuted her 1st music video. Dont you know the butt is back in, just take a look at Vida Guerra! Well back to the M6, the back end is a bit much in regards to smooth flowing lines with squared off top. However you gotta see it in person to fully appreciate the rear, heck see it in motion as it saunters down the road, lol.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the M5, but it is a sedan and therefore will never be quite the sports can that an all-out performance coupe can be. There are very few all-out performance coupes released of late, but the few that are out (GT2 comes to mind) are pretty awesome.
I think I too would prefer to M5, but this was the first I had heard/seen of an M6 and I am still pretty amazed.

I agree with you - I prefer coupes in general, however when it comes to sedans, the M5 is definitely my favorite. (Not that I would necessarily pick a sedan over a coupe if I had my choice, I probably wouldn't...) So yah, like you, my vote is still with the M5 over this M6.

efoto said:
Here is where I am a lucky bastard :D

<cool story>

Wow, impressive! That must have been quite the experience! One of my friends has had similar experiences and has had the opportunity to work on a lot of cool cars as well. He actually took part in the last Pikes Peak event working on a pit crew for a team from England, did some racing, and the team's car won the Unlimited Class race! He had some great stories from that event... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.