Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
I agree with you - I prefer coupes in general, however when it comes to sedans, the M5 is definitely my favorite. (Not that I would necessarily pick a sedan over a coupe if I had my choice, I probably wouldn't...) So yah, like you, my vote is still with the M5 over this M6.

Wow, impressive! That must have been quite the experience! One of my friends has had similar experiences and has had the opportunity to work on a lot of cool cars as well. He actually took part in the last Pikes Peak event working on a pit crew for a team from England, did some racing, and the team's car won the Unlimited Class race! He had some great stories from that event... :cool:

My stories are sadly not that exciting, although there are a few that were fun. We have a local Audi tuner who tuned a S4 Quattro (I think they all are :confused: ) to well over 400hp, doing all-wheel-drive burnouts in the backlot was awesome. I don't have any pictures, but when he came to pick it up he let me sit in it while he lit them up, then I stood out and watched....the car slides completely sideways once all four start turning....basically it would hit you door-against-door at a stoplight :p, awesome.

There were the slur of Ferrari 512TRs, a few 360 Modenas, a couple of Lambos, most notably an older Diablo VT, a ton of Porsches, and some random other exoctics here and there. I am not mechanically minded (when it comes to cars...I am a little bit being in engineering however :p) but I am very detail oriented, hence the detailing role. It was really cool working there, somewhat disappointed though because some of those cars are so much better in sight than in practice. I drove the Lambo and it was just difficult and a pain (sitting really low, hard to see, nasty clutch displacement/engagement ratio, etc). Looks amazing, but I can confidently say I don't want one.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
My stories are sadly not that exciting, although there are a few that were fun. We have a local Audi tuner who tuned a S4 Quattro (I think they all are :confused: ) to well over 400hp, doing all-wheel-drive burnouts in the backlot was awesome. I don't have any pictures, but when he came to pick it up he let me sit in it while he lit them up, then I stood out and watched....the car slides completely sideways once all four start turning....basically it would hit you door-against-door at a stoplight :p, awesome.

Ah yes, stupidly powerful cars, gotta love 'em! Cars that can do on dry pavement what Asian cars can do on ice... ;)

efoto said:
There were the slur of Ferrari 512TRs, a few 360 Modenas, a couple of Lambos, most notably an older Diablo VT, a ton of Porsches, and some random other exoctics here and there. I am not mechanically minded (when it comes to cars...I am a little bit being in engineering however :p) but I am very detail oriented, hence the detailing role. It was really cool working there, somewhat disappointed though because some of those cars are so much better in sight than in practice. I drove the Lambo and it was just difficult and a pain (sitting really low, hard to see, nasty clutch displacement/engagement ratio, etc). Looks amazing, but I can confidently say I don't want one.

Wow, I'm jealous! I've only seen a handful of Ferarris, Lambos etc. in my entire life, but have never been that close to them! And to actually drive one - very cool! I can totally see what you mean with driving the Lambo, that's kind of the way I thought it would be - not exactly designed for a comfortable driving experience. ;) And yes, even though they're extremely powerful and fast, I'm with you, I just wouldn't want one. They're cool, but there are many other exotics I would take over it if I had my choice.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
Wow, I'm jealous! I've only seen a handful of Ferarris, Lambos etc. in my entire life, but have never been that close to them! And to actually drive one - very cool! I can totally see what you mean with driving the Lambo, that's kind of the way I thought it would be - not exactly designed for a comfortable driving experience. ;) And yes, even though they're extremely powerful and fast, I'm with you, I just wouldn't want one. They're cool, but there are many other exotics I would take over it if I had my choice.

I really wish Porsche had retained a more exotic hold on the market, so many people have them recently, especially that Cayenne thing (can you tell I don't like it? :p). I really like their styling, save for the Boxster which I find hideous, and the sport is undeniable, awesome cars. Perhaps someday, but the thing that always pulls me back to a car like the M5 is that it has classy appeal WITH the power, not just the power appeal. You could argue that a Porsche is classy, I would agree, however not in the same manner as a M5.

You can pull up to formal dinner and get out of an M5 without looking like a tool, and can still track it that following weekend if you want. If I ever have enough money to purchase a Porsche it will be my second car, reserved for sport and luxery, not normal use because it just isn't intended for that type of task.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
I really wish Porsche had retained a more exotic hold on the market, so many people have them recently, especially that Cayenne thing (can you tell I don't like it? :p). I really like their styling, save for the Boxster which I find hideous, and the sport is undeniable, awesome cars. Perhaps someday, but the thing that always pulls me back to a car like the M5 is that it has classy appeal WITH the power, not just the power appeal. You could argue that a Porsche is classy, I would agree, however not in the same manner as a M5.

You can pull up to formal dinner and get out of an M5 without looking like a tool, and can still track it that following weekend if you want. If I ever have enough money to purchase a Porsche it will be my second car, reserved for sport and luxery, not normal use because it just isn't intended for that type of task.

I hear what you're saying - it seems like whenever anyone can afford a car in that class, they buy a Porsche - I see more of them around than anything else. That's why I'd prefer to buy something like a TVR if I had that kind of money, but that's just me - I always like to be unique and different (perhaps one of the reasons I own a Mac! ;)) All that being said, my friend has a 2003 Porsche 911 Turbo, and having taken many rides in it, I must say that is one amazing car, and an amazing driving experience. :cool:

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
I hear what you're saying - it seems like whenever anyone can afford a car in that class, they buy a Porsche - I see more of them around than anything else. That's why I'd prefer to buy something like a TVR if I had that kind of money, but that's just me - I always like to be unique and different (perhaps one of the reasons I own a Mac! ;)) All that being said, my friend has a 2003 Porsche 911 Turbo, and having taken many rides in it, I must say that is one amazing car, and an amazing driving experience. :cool:

I personally don't care for the TVR offerings, but that is more a matter of personal taste I guess, we can't all like everything.

I don't like how the Cayenne looks, and knowing how much you must pay for the name I really like the Toureg much better, both in styling and proposed value, although both are still quite expensive to me :eek:

There are still plenty of exotic Porsche' available for a lot of cash (older 911 Twins, GT2, etc) however the bulk of people will think you have the same Porsche their neighbor has even though your's is a lot better. Call me stupid or whatever, but when I get to the point I can afford a GT2, I want you to know about it :p (I can say that because I know I won't get there anytime soon, (read: this decade at least :p).

I like being unique as well (not so much my reason for Mac, I was just fed up on Win) however I won't change what I want just because I see it elsewhere, I just have to tell myself it is still what I said I wanted, regardless of random-joe has it too. After some self-coaxing, I usually get what I had said I wanted, regardless of the new-founded non-uniqueness :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
I personally don't care for the TVR offerings, but that is more a matter of personal taste I guess, we can't all like everything.

They’re definitely not my favorite car, but I do like them and it was one the first make that popped into my head to use as an example as something less popular and different. I suppose I could have easily as said

efoto said:
There are still plenty of exotic Porsche' available for a lot of cash (older 911 Twins, GT2, etc) however the bulk of people will think you have the same Porsche their neighbor has even though your's is a lot better. Call me stupid or whatever, but when I get to the point I can afford a GT2, I want you to know about it :p(I can say that because I know I won't get there anytime soon, (read: this decade at least :p).

Yah, I know what you mean – my friend’s 911 Turbo doesn’t really look much different than a standard 911 (except for the “Turbo” badge ;)) even though it could kick the crap out of a basic 911. That’s why when I do have that much money (notice I didn’t say “if” ;)) I want something a little more unique and noticeable – something that will really turn heads, and not have people saying, “Oh, another Porsche, how nice...”

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
~Shard~ said:
They’re definitely not my favorite car, but I do like them and it was one the first make that popped into my head to use as an example as something less popular and different. I suppose I could have easily as said

Yah, I know what you mean – my friend’s 911 Turbo doesn’t really look much different than a standard 911 (except for the “Turbo” badge ;)) even though it could kick the crap out of a basic 911. That’s why when I do have that much money (notice I didn’t say “if” ;)) I want something a little more unique and noticeable – something that will really turn heads, and not have people saying, “Oh, another Porsche, how nice...”

But don't buy a TVR..........bits fall off :p

But they are good for security, people don't know how to start them :p

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:

That last line is exactly what I want to avoid if/when I get that type of money. I want something still driveable, yet unique enough so I don't look like "yet another Porsche owner" type guy (even though that is essentially what I would still be come that day).

By the time that happens, who knows what will be around....I try not to get overly excited about current products because I know in 5 years time the technology is going to be amazingly different and our standards of performance and quality will more than likely have changed.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
By the time that happens, who knows what will be around....I try not to get overly excited about current products because I know in 5 years time the technology is going to be amazingly different and our standards of performance and quality will more than likely have changed.

Exactly, we'll just have to wait and see. I even look at the Corvette and see how they keep upping the hp and performance specs, especially in the Z06. Vettes aren't my thing, mind you, even though you get a lot of bang for your buck...

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
Exactly, we'll just have to wait and see. I even look at the Corvette and see how they keep upping the hp and performance specs, especially in the Z06. Vettes aren't my thing, mind you, even though you get a lot of bang for your buck...

Agreed, although the latest body re-styling looks pretty impressive. Other than some classics which look good because they are classic, the latest one is my favorite itteration thusfar, I hope they keep it up. Really that is the only domestic I would think of purchasing this year, I'm not a fan of American-made autos, sorry.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
Agreed, although the latest body re-styling looks pretty impressive. Other than some classics which look good because they are classic, the latest one is my favorite itteration thusfar, I hope they keep it up. Really that is the only domestic I would think of purchasing this year, I'm not a fan of American-made autos, sorry.

Couldn't have said it better myself - I am NOT a fan of domestics, but the Vette would be my choice if I had to pick one.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
efoto said:
I saw this while walking to a sidewalk sale here in the city. I ran back to the car, found no camera so actually drove back to my flat, snagged the camera, rapidly returned and thankfully found it still sitting here.

I blurred one plate, then realized I don't care, it isn't my car :p
Enjoy, anyone know about this?

Edit: Fixed links so they display the thumbnails....finally.

Im saving up to get one I can afford the car but I still need to afford all the import crap, or should I just be patient and wait a few years to get it with the steering wheel on the correct side?

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I don't like the back. Quite Ugly.

In general I'm not much a coupe person. I'll take an M5 instead.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Styling of the 6 series takes a little while to appreciate. Attached are 2 of my favorite photos from the BMW USA website.

Attachments

• 6coupe_modelpg.jpg
    6coupe_modelpg.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 112
  • BMW 6 Convertible.jpg
    BMW 6 Convertible.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 107

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yeah, R&T and C&D mags reviewed these a couple of issues ago. I, for one, am not a huge fan of the BMW new 6-series styling (or any new BMW styling for that matter.) It is really a shame that a company that built such great cars whose looks were based on simple, clean, and well constructed lines has resorted to gimics and smoke and mirror type designs in their new models. The iDrive, too is another turnoff. I guess for now that means I'll be sticking to Audi's designs, as they seem a little more traditional and logical. Their new A6 is pretty stunning IMO. Also I loved driving my dad's new S4.

PS. This is not to say that if someone handed me the keys to this 500 bhp BMW super sport sudan I would throw them down the sewer drain! :D

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
~Shard~ said:
It still looks a little bloated to me... ;)
Yeah, I see that, but the 6 looks the most exotic. Black may not be its best color, but that silver/beige convertible looks magnificent to my eyes.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
mad jew said:
~Shard~ said:
It still looks a little bloated to me... ;)
Just because you're a skinny rake of a model... ;)

Nah, but I agree with you though.

Haha, I do agree however. I personally would prefer the M5, but I was posting because I didn't even know this existed in a "M" version. I can appreciate it for its power, but I would have to agree that there are other vehicles that I would personally take for this pricerange.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mad jew said:
Just because you're a skinny rake of a model... ;)

Skinny rake of a model, huh? I'd like to think I'm pretty built...

:p ;)

I'm glad we all share the same sense of humor here, it makes things so much more entertaining. :)

Ah, if only Diatribe was following this thread... :D :eek: :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_6523.jpg
    IMG_6523.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 116

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
ksz said:
Yeah, I see that, but the 6 looks the most exotic. Black may not be its best color, but that silver/beige convertible looks magnificent to my eyes.

Yes, I'll give you that, it does look exotic. I guess that's the whole thing with the "exotic" look - it's so different and extreme in many cases, that people either love the vehicle's design or hate it. And in this case I most definitely do not hate the M6, I just don't care for the looks as much, that's all. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
efoto said:
Haha, I do agree however. I personally would prefer the M5, but I was posting because I didn't even know this existed in a "M" version. I can appreciate it for its power, but I would have to agree that there are other vehicles that I would personally take for this pricerange.

Yup, didn't know this existed until I saw this thread either. I've never been a big BMW fan to begin with, but I do like the looks of the Z4 and the M5 for what it's worth. Beemers just seem to "standard" in some respects, sort of like what we were both saying earlier in the thread - it's almost a token vehicle for someone with above-average income which they're willing to spend on a car. When I see a Porsche drive by, I realize the person is well-off, but I say, "Oh, look, another Porsche" - you could insert "BMW" in that sentence pretty transparently as well in my opinion. Nice cars, good quality and all that, but not my cup of tea. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.