I die, horatio!

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Dec 22, 2002.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, you know, there is just no limit to how ASININE i can get. at least it's the christmas season and i have NOTHING to do.

I was messing around in the terminal today, showing this friend of mine how cool it is, and how dangerous.

i typed in "sudo rm -rf /system," and said, "if i hit enter and give it my password, my computer would basically be screwed." i tried to delete the folder from finder, but of course it refused to let me. then i said, "see now, sudo lets me do stuff like that."

long story short, i hit enter, thinking i would get a pasword prompt, but i forgot that earlier in my session i had used the fink updater and it had sudoed me and gotten my password, and it doesn't ask for the password every time, so it just flat deleted my /system directory. well, let me tell you, that's not any fun.

i'v put all my personal and chimera/mail files in a .sit and sent them to my PC (which took an ungodly long time, i don't know why), and now it's go time. clean install.

BTW, i tried to just install OS X again over this, which is how i salvaged all my personal stuff, but for some reason i lost GCC and none of my fink packages would work at all. and let me tell you, i don't feel comfortable not having GCC on my system. that reminds me, i need to save my benchmarks.

this is a sad, stupid day my friends. cya when i redo my system entirely, looks like i get to be one of the first "clean installs" of 10.2.3.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

ouch, that doesn't sound fun at all. Still think terminal's fun?

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Learning from mistakes is one thing. Messing with the UNIX core isn't. You can seriously f**k up your system, or lose stored data.

I'd say, if you are willing to mess around for fun, write a program that does not affect the system, no matter what you type in, but looks/acts like the Terminal.

Let me say this: If you were a computer engineer, and you wanted to show your co-worker this chip you put together after three months' work, would you play around with it, or leave it be?

I mean to come down so harsh, but I don't think some people take the Terminal seriously enough. I'm not saying people have no idea how to work it, because some poeple know the commands. But it's another thing to act casually towards it. One mistake with the "Control Center" and there will be consequences.

Luckily you saved your information somewhere else, so it's not a total loss. :) But one's mistakes is an increase in one's experience.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

There's a great old expression in aviation that applies equally well in this situation:

"Learn from the mistakes of others -- you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself."

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

This reminds me of the famous redneck line.

Hey y'all watch this!

This line was found to be the last words for %80 of rednecks.:D

6. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

damn texas, lol. it's getting to me. i hate this state.

but yeah, i guess this wasn't too bad. i ended up losing about half of my music library to a corrupted .sit files, but let's not go there. i have almost got it all imported again.

Not to diminish my stupidity, but i am kinda glad i did this. i had been meaning to resize my swap partition so it could fit Classic a little better.

Plus, i redid 2 of my friend's windows PCs--backup, format, clean XP install--and got 200$, so i can take this. lol. i honestly have nothing better to do today.

lesson learned -- never EVER type sudo, rm, and any root-owned folder in the same command.

7. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

dude, what do you mean? Fink and XonX are cool. i am down with the terminal completely. i just wasn't thinking, and if you think that is going to happen again, well...lol.

and about "looking/acting like the terminal," what do you mean? isn't terminal just a console emulator?

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

clearly he knows his way around the terminal, given his thought stream

he just did a dumb thing. :)

kinda like preaching to the terminal choir though.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(Shadowfax) dude, what do you mean? Fink and XonX are cool. i am down with the terminal completely. i just wasn't thinking,

That's what I was trying to say. I'm not sure what "Fink" and "XonX" are, but if you were thinking, the Terminal would have done you no harm, as jello also pointed out.

>and about "looking/acting like the terminal," what do you mean? isn't terminal just a console emulator?

Let me clarify what I originally said:

>(KC) I'd say, if you are willing to mess around for fun, write a program that does not affect the system, no matter what you type in, but looks/acts like the Terminal.

I mean, if you are going to play with commands for fun, the Terminal is the wrong place to do it, because sufficient all commands do something, including wipe out your system. What I mean is write a program, so whenever you type in a command, nothing happens to your system, just the messages and text are the same. :)

>(jello) kinda like preaching to the terminal choir though.

I can't imagine what that job pays. :D

10. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, ultimately this is me paying for a dumb thing i did. don't think i didn't know exactly what "sudo rm -rf /system" does. it deletes finder, the dock, and god knows what else. i was taking an uncalculated risk. i was sure that it would ask me for my password, because that's what sudo does--it gets permission from an admin to act as root. the thing i didn't consider was that it doesn't ask every time you use sudo within a session, it seems to time out, and if you use it again before the timeout it "just works." so when i hit enter it "just worked," because i had been doing stuff in fink, which uses sudo.

fink (see fink.sourceforge.net) is a linux package manager for OS X; it lets me install things like KDE, GNOME, the GIMP, and other useful stuff. it's a lot of fun.

not to say your "i told you so" manner isn't uncalled for or undeserved, but just know i do know what i am doing... currently i'm GCC compiling the latest xfree86 via fink. as jelloshotsrule mentioned, it was a very rare moment of ass-ness mixed with a state of not really caring about my system because i was reasonably certain i could get it back and better than before in a matter of a day and i had the time to do it.