I discovered a intresting tool

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EJBasile, Mar 10, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm not sure if this has already been discovered or if it is common knowledge. If you press the apple button + tab you can easily switch between programs by a pop up screen type window.

Try it out it's prett cool.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yeah. :rolleyes: While holding down the apple button, press H to hide the app, press Q to quit the app, or press Apple+~ to go in reverse.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple-SHIFT-Tab to go backwards. Apple+~ (in most apps) to cycle between windows within an app. :rolleyes: :D

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I accidently first did this thinking it was windows. To my surprise it acted just the way i wanted! :cool: ;)

5. trailblazer macrumors member

if you use the mouse while you're cmd-tab'ing, you can select an application..i do it a lot cause i normally have many apps open..

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

You can keep tapping the apple+tab and highlight the app and let go... it'll then switch.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Yay.

8. PhantomOSX macrumors member

You guys are joking right? Who didn't know about this? It was shown as a feature when Panther first came out.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Cmd-tab was a feature back in the OS9 days (I cannot remember it in OS8, but it might have been there, too).

Whats really qool (when you have lots of windows) is to press F9 or F10, and then using cmd-tab. Thats an awsome feature... :D

Edit: Or, If you cmd-tab to an open app, don't let go of the cmd, hit Q and that app quits, then you can cycle through the rest by hitting tab again (remember, don't let go of cmd).

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

this kind of thing works in pretty much any OS/window manager

(alt-tab in windows and on a lot of linux window managers and cmd-tab in macos)

11. andrewfee macrumors 6502

It's in OS8.5/6 at least, although you don't get anything showing what you're changing to.

12. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Yeah, it was functional in 8.5 along with the detachable drop down finder menu. gonna boot up 8.1 to see if it works with open apps generally.

13. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Ya, actually you can just hit tab instead of Cmd+Tab to get the same result, and it's a bit faster :)

14. JohnStrass macrumors regular

my cat walked across my keyboard...

I discovered another annoying feature: when my cat walked across my keyboard (hitting many function keys, if I recall), all of the leter keys stopped producing the lettters, and instead only a few numbers came out.....very irritating...I played with various function key combos and now my keyboard is normal. What is with that?

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you have a laptop? Probably the numeric keypad entry mode. There's a key to activate it....up top, I think (not at my computer) near the middle of the function key row, with a light in it. :)

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Once you've hit ⌘-tab, you can then just (while holding ⌘ ) hit ` to go back - no need for shift-tab. Again, this only works once you've started with ⌘-tab (otherwise, obviously, it cycles through windows of an app).

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

F6

Hit fn+F6 or just plain F6 depending on how you set up the fucntion keys to work.

18. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

This also works of you have a mouse with a scroll wheel button. Click and hold the scroll wheel, and roll it up and down to select the app that you want.

19. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Hmmm ... I didn't have click or hold the scroll wheel, i just scrolled through the list.

20. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

No, I mean you can bring it up without using Command+Tab. If you click and hold the scroll wheel, the menu will come up and you can scroll through it without having to use a key combination.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh! I see now. Sorry 'bout that. ;)

22. JohnStrass macrumors regular

f6 it is!

Yes, I just noticed that "num lock" key. I thought I might have to get a new cat...

23. mpw Guest

Mapping Exposé to the two thumb buttons on a five button mouse is the quickest way to switch between apps I've found. So much so that at my MS Windows machine I find myself pushing the blank side of my cheap PS2 mouse.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I tried to drag a powerpoint file to My Computer today, and I waited patiently for it to spring open, and nothing happened! :eek: OMG, I think my Win2k has a virus! :p

I tried mapping the main two Exposé buttons to two corners of my trackpad with Sidetrack, but I've found so far, for some reason, only the upper right corner is really reliable for corner tapping (and it's the right mouse button). I tried to map the two corners to Alt-Tab and Alt-Shift-Tab, but the problem with this is that they don't hold down, and if you Alt-Tab to an app, and then Alt-Tab again, you end up back at the app you started at. So no cycling for poor me.... :( Although Alt-Shift-Tab does continue to cycle through apps with single presses. But it didn't work out as smoothly as I'd hoped....

25. Caramel macrumors newbie

Oh.....My.....God!

First off, this isn't my account, it's my girlfriends so don't get mad at her for this.

Now, those of you who didn't know about Apple-Tab, Num-Lock, or any little things that are standard on almost any computer WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!? For one...why is this in Mac-Rumors...this should be in the OSX How To fourm. As far as an "discovering an interesting tool".........omg! It's in the users guide! Anyway, have fun "discovering" new things...like you sohuld try hitting F9, F10, or F11....OMG EXPOSE! Holy crap...look what I discovered!