I ditched and switched

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Feb 27, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Finally, today I had the chance to go to the apple store and purchase my PowerBook G4 12" Superdrive. It works so well! Its fast and responsive and the scroll function with two fingers function works perfectly. For the last 2 hours I've been setting it up. I also bought the BT mouse which unfortuantly does not always work great on my desk because it is a little reflective. I also got the free Espon C86 printer and Belkin 7-Port USB hub. My only gripe at this point is that when the caps lock light key is pressed, the greed light goes through the caps lock key (because its the same keyboard on the illuminated keyboard models).

I do have a question though, how do you set up a "Mail" account thingy with a hotmail.com account. ~Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't use it myself but do a search on Versiontracker.com for the mail.app hotmail plugin. Microsoft don't like people using free hotmail accounts with email apps, let alone with a Mac one so this is a hack and I don't know for sure if it works very well.

Good luck all the same. :)

Oh, here it is...
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18189
    :p

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Congratulations on your PB.

I actually bought a shuffle yesterday when I broke my old mp3 Discman moving. Ironically, the Apple Retailer I went to wasn't going to have them until next week, but Circuit City across the street did.

I then went back to the Mac store and explained that circuit city had shuffles, at which they were annoyed (at Apple, not me). They then let me use a mac mini to transfer music from an mp3 CD to the shuffle. Cool guys.

As for you mail/hotmail connection, you used to be able to use "httpmail" (iirc), but Hotmail disabled such linking so afaik you (and I ) are out of luck. Maybe someone knows more...

btw, I really like the shuffle.

4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

You can't. MS have used a proprietry system for this, and licensed it exclusively to Outlook. I don't even know if you can use hotmail in Entourage.

5. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

Mail Preferences "Apple comma"

Description: email address
    Email Address: self explanatory
    Full Name: ..........
    Incoming mail server: POP.cogeco.ca (i am sure hotmail is the same)
    User Name: email address
    password: hotmail password
    Outgoing mail server SMTPL.cogeco.ca ( replace cogeco.ca with hotmail)

Congrats on the awesome PB

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yes you can. Hotmail and the Mail.app work just find for me.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18189

7. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

8. yuck macrumors member

congrats on your pb
    got a few question .... im thinking about buying a pb 12" too
    1. what do you think bout the 12" is it ok for you or is it too small ?
    2. did you buy the epson c86 with the $100 rebate deal ? hows the quality of the printer? because im thinking of getting a printer with my pb too, but im not sure which one to get

thanks

9. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

gmail

ditch hotmail and i'll PM you a gmail invite if you'd like. I know it works with POP3 (so mail would support it). Let me know if you want one...

10. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I think the screen size of the 12" is fine, it can get a little tight but I like the size. Yes i bought the printer with the rebate. The quality of the print i good, but i have not used it much because it is going to be my back up printer. As for the physical quality I don't think its that great, it just seems flimsy or something.

11. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Glad to hear you like it. That's the model I'll buy in June unless one of two things happen.

1. I save enogh for the 15" Superdrive

2. The G5's come out.

12. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hi...i am a newbie here, can someone tell me what all of these abbreviations mean ie "PM" Also, if anyone needs gmail, i got LOTS of invites!