I do not have suffcient privilages!! HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by giovanni1979, Dec 3, 2006.

1. giovanni1979 macrumors newbie

giovanni1979

This is the first time I've ever used something like this, but i guess ya'll are the ones to ask. So, my nephew(15) was playing around on the computer (ibookG4). Not an unusual thing. he'll play games, check his mail, whatever. A couple hours later i start my mac. I was puzzled when it asked me for my name and password (something i have not had to do since i first purchased the machine). As my ibook started, i realised that none of my personal settings were there appearing. Ok, weird. So i figured that i was in his (my nephew's) user settings. I went to my account settings and i was not there. I am the system admin... or should i say was. he is the only listed in the account settings, he is a standard user. THERE IS NO ADMINISTRATOR! I tried not to panic. I opened the finder window to see what else was tampered. i went to the Mac HD and there I am, whew, thinking that i was in the clear, until i try to open my files and the pop-up appears saying "you do not have sufficient privilages". Now i panic. I tried resetting the password using the Install disk... still no access. I finally asked him what program he was in before he shut down the computer he said NetInfo Manager. Apparently, my wireless was down and he was trying to "fix" the problem. Somebody help me. I can't access my external hds either... I have nearly a decade of literally every aspect of my life on this computer and hds. If i lose all this... well i don't want to think about it. Can i fix this without losing my files? If so, how?

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

3. giovanni1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

giovanni1979

Did you restore from a back up, from a default or create_restore_nidb script? do you still have all your files? I'm panicing...:eek:

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I don't remember, but it was relatively painless and I did not have to do a backup (although highly recommended regardless). There should be an Apple KB article on the problem you are having. :)

5. giovanni1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

giovanni1979

Hooooray!!!!

Spicy, you are my saviour!!!! I am forever in your debt! :) And for future reference you can restore default settings from the original set up... barring that they have not been deleted. Here is the direct link to the article for anybody in this situation.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107210