I don´t believe this!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Willy S, May 6, 2006.

1. Willy S macrumors 6502

While my other iMac is in the second repair after having its logic board replaced, I was checking for fun what type my other iMac used and noticed that S.M.A.R.T. says that the drive is failing! Maybe it is not a surprise since the cooling system is too poor to being able to cool the computer properly.

The computer is 14 months old, so its not longer in warranty and I guess it wise to change the drive myself. It says it is a 80GB S-ata Western Digital and I´m wondering which drive I should buy. What would you recommend, a Seagate perhaps?

I find this all ironic because I originally bought the Macs because I thought they were more reliable than PCs...

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not like the HD is made by Apple, its a 3rd party part... HDs fail...

Seagates are highly recommended, and usually have a good warrany and pice too.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I try to purchase Seagate HDs whenever possible. They are usually more expensive but they come with 5 year warranties. Most other hard drives come with 1-3 years.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Soapbox moment: Why doesn't the OS periodically poll the HD for SMART status and pop up a window if it goes into fail mode? :rolleyes: *makes Ross from Friends voice* Could there -be- anything more important to know when you're using your computer?

Okay, sorry about that. :eek:

Can I ask a dumb question for a second... what kind of Mac came with an 80GB SATA hard drive? That sounds wrong for some reason... that's an awfully small drive to be SATA.

EDIT: Apparently 80GB was the first size of SATA drive used in iMacs... Sorry.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

SMARTReporter

6. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

That was actually Chandler ;)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thank you. Now, as a zealot, I'm required to continue whining about Apple's failure to put this in the OS while failing to take advantage of the perfectly good third-party solution, right? Just checking. ;)

And P.S., NEENAHBOY, I thought it was only Chandler when he was making fun of Ross. :(

8. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

9. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

thanks as well.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I have a G3 PowerMac that warned my mom of bad SMART status. It popped up a dialog box everytime she logged in. Of course I didn't notice it until I came home for a break. haha, crazy Windows users getting used to wading through dialogue prompts at boot...

11. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehe, that is funny. But putting it at login or at boot? I log into my iBook and reboot it about once a month. :(